Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 24
Kazooless | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 8 2009 3:00 PM

I would like to define a collection called "Reformers" or something like that. In that collection, I would like to include only the works that are unlocked in my library and were written in the 1500's or 1600's. I have the Scholar's library, one of the larger Christmas special's, the E4 group CD from years ago, and several miscellaneous purchases. My bibliography says I have 767 resources. So, I don't really want to go through each title one by one to define this collection.

Is there a way to use Logos to intelligently define this collection sort of the way Apple iTunes can create a Smart Album? This is just one example that I would use it for. I would probably do the same for the 1700's, the 1800's, early Fathers, etc. Plus, as I add more titles, it would be easier to include them to the already defined collections.

Jeff

Posts 9096
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 3:34 PM

Jeff,

If there's a way to do that I've never heard of it. To do this Logos would have to tag each resource with the date of composition and allow it to be searched for. As far as I know this was not done. For modern works the copyright date is given. (In fact for many electronically published ancient texts a modern copyright date is given.) However copyright date is not a searchable data type even if that heleped.

Sort your Library by Authors and look for the usual suspects. That's the best you can do.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1605
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:18 PM

In 3.0 (and we are in the 3.0 forum) there is no way to do this.  I did create a few collections for stuff like this in 3.0, but you have to enter them person by person.  If you are interested in these writers, you should really check out the StillTruth site, since it has quite a few pbb collections of historical figures.

With 4.0 you might have a chance since 4.0 has features to allow Logos to figure out what books belong in the collection.  Ideally you could do this from Subject headings.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 24
Kazooless | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:29 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the replies.

Kenneth, I had no idea these PBB's were available. That's great news! Thanks for the input.

Yes, I've done the manual collection definition, but manual human intervention can be more work and contain more mistakes. Thanks again.

Jeff

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:59 PM

The column that would do it for you is Publication date, pubdate: when filtering a collection. Unfortunately I do not believe the reforms are marked by the date when they wrote it. you could try pubdate:<1800 though. You can open your library and sort by this column to see the dates in order.

Posts 24
Kazooless | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 3:26 PM

In 3.0 where are you seeing a column at all to sort by?

Thanks,

Jeff

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 3:32 PM

JeffKazules:

Thanks,

Jeff

I don't think it is possible to sort in v3 when creating the collections. You can filter by title, author, by both, but that's about all.

Bohuslav

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 3:36 PM

Jeff,

I might do this...

Go to the Logos site and download the PDF showing what you've got...print it out.

If your like me...you haven't downloaded 500 more things in addition to the stock stuff so it shouldn't be THAT  bad to see what you've got....

then check them off by hand...and build a collection...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 9096
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 3:57 PM

JeffKazules:

In 3.0 it isn't a column it is a radio button. It appears in My Library and also in the New Collections dialog. See below:

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 24
Kazooless | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 4:13 PM

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the year. This works for the authors I'm already familiar with. Thanks.

Posts 9096
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:09 PM

JeffKazules:
I thought you were talking about the year

In Logos 4 there is a 'Year of Publication' column (the Library can be sorted by in 4.0). As you have been able to detect that isn't in 3.0.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:12 PM

Mark A. Smith:

JeffKazules:
I thought you were talking about the year

In Logos 4 there is a 'Year of Publication' column (the Library can be sorted by in 4.0). As you have been able to detect that isn't in 3.0.

to filter by it in a collection use pubdate:

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS