Major performance problem on right-clicking

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 40
Gabriel Powell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:07 PM | Locked

I'm taking Greek, so we have to do a lot of manual parsing. To aid in this I usually copy and paste the Greek word and its lemma into an excel doc. When I do this in v3 it is snappy, instantaneous, and there is no draw from the CPU. However when I do this in v4, my 3GHz quad-core CPU goes nuts anywhere from 20-50% usage for each right-click.

It is faster when the "Selection" item is used than when the "Lemma" menu item is selected, but either way there is a definite lag and the processor is heavily used.

For a right-click menu this seems to be a serious problem. What use to be quick right-click, copy, paste is now a right-click, wait a second, copy, paste. When you're trying to do this with 50+ words the lag gets old real fast.

I hope this gets optomized soon!

Laptop: Windows 7 Professional x64, Intel Dual-Core, 2GB RAM, Radeon X1600

Home: Vista Ultimate x86,  AMD Quad-Core, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GS 512MB

Work: Windows 7 x64, Intel Dual-Core, 8GB RAM, Radeon X1300/X1550

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 5:30 PM | Locked

Gabriel Powell:

I'm taking Greek, so we have to do a lot of manual parsing. To aid in this I usually copy and paste the Greek word and its lemma into an excel doc. When I do this in v3 it is snappy, instantaneous, and there is no draw from the CPU. However when I do this in v4, my 3GHz quad-core CPU goes nuts anywhere from 20-50% usage for each right-click.

It is faster when the "Selection" item is used than when the "Lemma" menu item is selected, but either way there is a definite lag and the processor is heavily used.

For a right-click menu this seems to be a serious problem. What use to be quick right-click, copy, paste is now a right-click, wait a second, copy, paste. When you're trying to do this with 50+ words the lag gets old real fast.

I hope this gets optomized soon!

Gabriel,

How much memory do you have?

I just tried this with NA27 with McReynolds Interlinear showing just the text and lemma. Snappy. No lag. Processor went to 60% ish for a second, but no lag. As fast as I could switch (using Alt Tab or my mouse) it was right there.

I have a dual core T5870 with 2.0 ghz and 4 GB of RAM. The only thing I can think is the RAM. I am running 1.61 GB of memory so if you only have 2 GB it would be slow. I find it hard to imagine you would though.

What about other programs or panes in Logos? Have you tried restarting your computer to clean up your memory. Tasks behind the scene? Antivirus, etc.?

Chris

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 6:36 PM | Locked

I agree. The right click menu is very slow to fill in all of the items. It takes about 5 seconds on a Greek word on my laptop. You have quite a fast computer, so this poor performance is disappointing. Waiting for a menu so long is a serious disruption to the thought process when you are doing research and writing. Fast indexes do not compensate for a slow user interface. I also hope they will fix this soon.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 6:49 PM | Locked

I've noticed this issue too. Copying Lemmas is definitely a tad more difficult in L4, especially if you are alternating between copying the in text form and the lemma form.

Posts 40
Gabriel Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 10:22 PM | Locked

I have 4GB of RAM. I just reformatted my computer a couple weeks ago, so it is quite fresh and clean.

Laptop: Windows 7 Professional x64, Intel Dual-Core, 2GB RAM, Radeon X1600

Home: Vista Ultimate x86,  AMD Quad-Core, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GS 512MB

Work: Windows 7 x64, Intel Dual-Core, 8GB RAM, Radeon X1300/X1550

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 1:50 AM | Locked

I have just a so so Laptop and while I'm not complaining at the time it takes to copy a lemma; mine is quite fast...

I wouldn't be unappreciative if it was instantaneous!

Possibly drop some things off of the right click list? Make them "uncheckable?"

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 2:15 AM | Locked

Robert Pavich:
Possibly drop some things off of the right click list? Make them "uncheckable?"

I'd love to have more control over what appears on menus.

I'd also still like to be able to set the 5 commentaries or bibles or dictionaries or lexicons which appear on the bottom of these menus and send the data to them (as in v3), rather than having the program churn away - almost always with the same results (and sometimes to better results )

"Pharisee":

cf "Pharisees"

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS