Help request from a Christian noobie and recent Logos 4 purchaser - Basic commentary, dictionary suggestions please

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 33
Jonathan Cousins | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 10 2011 9:57 AM

Hi there, my name is Jonny. I am 33 years old and live in Northern Ireland.

I asked the Lord into my life back in 2002. Since then I have done only "light' bible study through 8 chapter study guides, etc as part of small groups and mission teams.

In the past year, I have become increasingly challenge by the fact the many friends in my social group are pretty disillusioned with Christianity and religion in general. Many of them are sadly swept along on a tide of new atheism, and have based a lot of their views on critics (Dawkins, Hitchens) etc writings, without doing any real research of their own.

However I am also aware that I am not in a great position to respond back to some of their arguments, which included:

• The bible is full of contradictions
  • The bible is just bunch of myths copied from other ancient communities
  • The bible was changed and re-written to suit the churches political objectives
  • The bible is full of calls to violence, hatred, ethnic cleansing,etc

I want to get into some good detailed bible study and soak myself, not only in the text of the bible, but also in all the surrounding evidence, resources, etc.

I have been debating with getting some bible software for a while, and was playing with Glo for a while, but I found it to be superficially impressive, but when trying to do anything you ended up all over the place with multiple windows etc, and there wasn't a lot available outside the basic program.

I also tried "Eloquent" for Mac, but I found it to be unstable, both in it's operation and in getting access to the resources. The seems to be a depth of resources available through Bible.org and Crossway, but if I can't get at them and the software keeps crashing, then they are of little value. I also found the program fairly basic.

I had looked at Logos/Accordance/Bibleworks previously, but the price put me off straight away as I don't have that sort of money lying about. 

However last week I stumbled across them again while looking for alternatives to Eloquent. But this time I noticed that they had a payment plan available. Based on my budget, I opted for the most expensive I could afford, which was the basic Scholar version. I am still not sure if this was wise or not, and should have just started at the bottom with the home version.

I would appreciate you thoughts on that first of all.

The main purpose of this post is to actually get some help in identifying where to starting in terms of using the resources that this software has.

I would like suggestions for the following:

• Which book to start on for my journey into study
  • Which commentaries to use as a starting point
  • What other supporting resources to get (dictionaries, graphics, etc)

I know I can't explain everything in this initial post, but I am happy for this to become a conversation as we try to work out what my aims are and why resources to use.

Thanks in advance

Your brother in Jesus

Jonny

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 10:16 AM

Hi Jonny,

Welcome to Logos and the forums.

A few years ago my first purchase was Logos Scholar's. Inside that package you have apologectics books. One thing I would tell you to do is get a printout of all your books in your package. The easiest way I know to do this is print all the contents from the product page. As far as your friends, you have some apologetic books in your library what will help you with them. Look for the author Dan Story and read his 3 books you own, Defending Your Faith, Engaging the Close Minded, and Christianity on the Offense. These are three books that will help you in your social circles.

As far as Bible study, pick your favorite translation. Start in the book of Mark. It's the shortest and I think earliest gospel. You will learn the more you use the software how to study. There are videos on the Logos website to help you train to use your software. In the Scholar's edition you have a ton of stuff to help you. We are different in how we study, so I can't help you with how, but I simply will encourage you to work it out. I can't recall what commentaries I was using when I only had the Scholar's, but I think it was Opening Up and Bible Exposition. That's probably the best you have inside the package. You don't need anything else except the Bible. I would read through that before opening up any other resource. You have a good package to start with. But remember everything in your package is a tool to be used for Bible study. It is not the Bible though.

Posts 33
Jonathan Cousins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 10:29 AM

Thanks Matthew, I appreciate the response and the encouragement. 

I will definitely check out the books by Dan Story as they sound good.

Given I am only starting off, would you say that it was a wise decision or not buying the Scholar's version? 

Is there only 5% of the resources that are actually worth having and the rest is just padding?

Would I be better with the "Home" version and spend the extra money on buying specific resources?

What have you done since buying the scholar version? Have you upgraded or stuck with Scholar and just bought books as you need them?

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 10:49 AM

Like I said, I first purchased Scholar's and used it until I upgraded. I have continued to upgrade as Logos put out new base products. Currently, I am using Porfolio and I have dropped thousands of dollars on other resources.  I tend to buy preaching, theology, church history, hermeneutics, and apolegetics. My use of commentaries anymore are to glean from them. I don't really use them for bible study but maybe to prepare a sermon. There are some commentaries I use because I believe in the author. I can tell you I believe in Logos Bible Software and I believe in the company. I don't regret purchasing anything from Logos, but there are resources I do not use and resources I own that I don't know about. The funny thing is even though I have upgraded and bought other resources my study of the Bible is still the same as when I first bought Logos Scholar's. The good news is I can use the sofware to conduct research for college, prepare sermons to deliver, study and interpret scripture, and study history or theology. But to study the Bible I simply open my favorite translation (nasb) and study. I will argue it was  wise decision. I will tell you to get the package you can afford. That is wise. When you upgrade a package, you need to check out the pricing versus the thing you are really after. Whatever's cheaper that's what to buy. When I upgraded to platinum or maybe it was gold I was after BDAG and a commentary. It was in the package for x amount of dollars to upgrade. If I bought those products individually then it would have cost more to do that then upgrade. I can't tell you the recipe you will use to upgrade. I will tell you to upgrade to what you can afford. Don't worry about all that now though. Learn what you have and I think it was a great decision to get the Scholar's.

Posts 9134
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 11:01 AM

Besides Dan Story's books, A General Introduction to the Bible is a good place to start with some of the questions skeptics throw at you. You should have that in Scholar's.

To be better acquainted with Logos, MVP Mark Barnes has produced some very helpful training videos that are worth watching. They are not long. http://www.logos4training.com/

You may find that the Normal Geisler Apologetics Library will be helpful: http://www.logos.com/product/8810/the-norman-l-geisler-apologetics-library. It is very reasonably priced.

Gary Habermas' The Historical Jesus is helpful: http://www.logos.com/product/786/the-historical-jesus-ancient-evidence-for-the-life-of-christ

Jesus and the Gospels by Blomberg is a good introduction to the modern questions about the historical veracity of the gospels: http://www.logos.com/product/3379/jesus-and-the-gospels-an-introduction-and-survey  Darrell Bock's Studying the Historical Jesus is helpful on the modern questions about the Jesus of history: http://www.logos.com/product/5346/studying-the-historical-jesus-a-guide-to-sources-and-methods

As to what you purchased, I think you did the right thing. With Scholars you have the full language research capability Logos offers. Some books (those in the Ministry section) might not interest you, and some others are not top shelf, but for the price you got very good value for your investment. You can learn a lot from what you have purchased.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 11:05 AM

Hi Jonny, and welcome to the forums from across the Irish Sea. 

Jonathan Cousins:
Given I am only starting off, would you say that it was a wise decision or not buying the Scholar's version?

Others have said elsewhere in the forums that you are best getting the highest base package you can afford, and I think that is true.  You have probably made a wise choice, assuming that you will carry on using the product for study.  I started with Leader's Edition, then went to Scholar's Silver and now have Scholar's Platinum, enhanced with a few other individually-purchased resources. 

Is there only 5% of the resources that are actually worth having and the rest is just padding?

That's probably pretty harsh.  What I regard as padding, someone else will probably regard as a vital reference work. 

My advice woudl be to start studying using the resources you have, and there are some useful (free) videos to help you get started on that at http://www.logos.com/videos.

I have bought additional resources as I have grown in my study, and in particular some commentary series and a few individual commentaries when I am studying a particular book.  I would suggest that, rather than overdosing on commentaries you look up good commentaries for a particular book you are studying at www.bestcommentaries.org - some you can only buy as a series (like NICOT/NICNT) but some others you can buy individually.  I generally buy sets of things when Logos have them on sale (I got the NIV Application Commentary series and Expositor's Bible Commentary series this way). 

As far as apologetics books are concerned, you have some pretty reasonable ones in your package to get you started (you can see what they are called by going to the "Apologetics" section here).  If you want more, there are some others available to buy from Logos - search for "Norman Geisler", "Peter Kreeft" or "apologetics" on the Product page.  I suggest you work through those that were recommended above first of all and see what the bibliographies in those books point you to first, though - a lot of us buy things and then don't get time to read them! 

I trust that is helpful.

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 1634
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 11:13 AM

First of all, I want to welcome you to your group.  We are a rather varied group who all share a love for the the Bible and have found Logos software to be a quite useful tool for learning more about the Bible.

Assuming that you didn't spend money you will need in the next year, Scholars was a good start.  In my opinion, using a version of Logos below Original Languages is missing almost all the usefulness of this software.

Where to begin?  Everyone has their favorite book, but if Paul's Letter to Timothy is correct, all scripture can lead to fruitful results. The Holy Spirit must be our guide.

In my opinion, much more important than picking any specific book is that you are in dialogue with people about it since this I find my views clarified and corrected  by interacting with others.  This can be your friends in our out of church.  Realize that while the Spirt can use you, it isn't you deciding that.  As Luther put in his 2nd invocavit sermon, "I can get no farther than their ears; their hearts I cannot reach.  And since I cannot pour faith into their hearts, I cannot, nor should I, force any one to have faith."  We must trust the Spirit to be our guide in this, especially when it seems absent.

Logos has impressive reports that come when you just put in a passage into the "Go" box on the home page.  I fully recommend you use them.

You ask for commentary recommendations.  While it is important to be in dialogue with people of the past though commentaries, I think it is problematic that we depend on commentaries so much.  It can lead to short circuiting the process of studying the bible.  We are all tempted to just stick to the commentary we agree with.

For starters, you need a good bible dictionary.  You have three decent one volume ones, IMHO - the Harper, the IVP New Bible Dictionary, and the Eerdmans.  When you run into a concept, take a look at what all of them have to say.

The Bible sheds a lot of light on commentaries.  You have multiple sets of cross references.  Use them.

You have multiple bibles - compare them in the passage.  Don't just pick a favorite, but try to understand what each is trying to say.  Try to get a hint of what the issues are in the text.  If you speak a language other than English, PLEASE look at bibles in those languages too.  Different languages "think" a bit differently.

Once you are asking some decent questions, now turn to commentaries.  With commentaries there are multiple kinds, and those different kinds ask different questions.  Sometimes you need a commentary to help answer your questions, but sometimes the commentary will also let you in on other good questions too.

As far as additional resources, it is easy to get addicted to getting MORE and MORE.  The more you dig into the Bible, the more you will find, and the more you will want to know about it.  It is an endless process.  From what you said, I would recommend the IVP Reference Collection for you.  The 4 New Testament dictionaries in this collection are more than worth the price for the collection and you get some basic bible background commentaries as well.  But get a hang of the system first.

Logos has tools that make it easier to touch upon the original languages as well.  Be VERY cautious about any results from this until you know what you are doing.

While theological debate is not really something we should do here, feel free to ask for help with the system.  I have been on Logos 4 since early Beta versions and I am still learning more.

SDG

Ken McGuire

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 11:18 AM

Hi Jonathan,

Welcome to the forums and the Logos user family!

To start with, I will suggest  I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Atheist. I believe it will help you in your conversations with those "sadly swept along on a tide of new atheism."  I think you will find this resource will help you when speaking with your friends.

There are alot of resources in Scholars that will benefit you with deeper study and research. Learning how to search Logos and make use of all Logos4 has to offer is important!
I stongly suggest that you view the videos at http://www.logos4training.com/   more free video are available on the Wiki at http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Video_Tutorials

I am certain that you will find the video and Wiki very helpful.

I am praying for you and your friends!

Praiser

EDIT: You will also find  http://www.logos.com/product/8810/the-norman-l-geisler-apologetics-library resources to be helpful.

I think Scholars was a great package for you to start with!

You have the Apologetics Bible in your package you might want to check out the articles in it, such as  Has the Bible Been Accurately Copied Down Through the Centuries? Clicking the links will open the resource in your Logos4 software.
As well as How Can We Know the Bible Includes the Correct Books?

You also have Christianity on the Offense  in your Scholar Library. I haven't yet read that one, but it looks helpful.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 11:27 AM

Jonathan Cousins:
However last week I stumbled across them again while looking for alternatives to Eloquent.

Welcome Big Smile

Suggest signing up for Logos Christmas credit special => http://www.logos.com/christmas

Also wonder if took advantage of 15 % off base package ?

For learning Logos, wiki has => Getting Started with Logos

Jonathan Cousins:
What have you done since buying the scholar version? Have you upgraded or stuck with Scholar and just bought books as you need them?

Personally have upgraded a Scholar's library to Gold, then Platinum.  Current Christmas credit special has me considering Portfolio (depends on God's timing and providence).

My favorite commentary series is included in Scholar's Gold; wiki Logos Resource Reviews has => UBS New Testament Handbook Series and => UBS Old Testament Handbook Series

Option: with 12 months to spread out payments (with $ 5 added per payment), may want to discuss with Logos Sales about "refunding" initial purchase of Scholar's, then purchase Scholar's Gold with 15 % discount, which would have a monthly payment of $ 102.75 (US) plus credit of $ 351.89 (US) toward future purchases: perhaps The Essential IVP Reference Collection Version 3

Observation about base package bundles: resources that initially were not attractive can become useful as learn more and use Logos to search for stuff.  For example, Scholar's Silver includes Apostolic Fathers, which has text of Didache (historical teaching from the 12 Apostles).

Future forum posts could ask: how to research a particular question using Logos Bible Software.

Jonathan Cousins:
The bible is full of contradictions

Edit: Scholar's Library includes: "Difficulties in the Bible: Alleged errors and contradictions." with two dozen frequently discussed items.

logosres:difbible;art=title;off=1

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 11:34 AM

Well done, Jonny!  You have made a good investment.

If you have questions you can't answer, you can ask in the forums how you can look for answers in Logos resources. And our MVPs, and sometimes others, can help you with  problems you have using the software.  Sometimes they reply within minutes.  And they are very patient with persistent problems, as I have discovered yet again within the last few days.

Incidentally you might do well to look at the Vyrso Christmas offers, including lots of freebies, which you can also read in Logos.

http://vyrso.com/december?utm_source=vyrsoalert&utm_medium=email&utm_content=button&utm_campaign=decemberfreebies

(Vyrso app itself only works on iPad, iPhone etc).  There's a free book by John Piper, free till Christmas.  Others are free for a shorter period of time.

And check out Logos freebies if you have not yet done so.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 11:38 AM

nicky crane:
Incidentally you might do well to look at the Vyrso Christmas offers, including lots of freebies, which you can also read in Logos.

http://vyrso.com/december?

Edit: can also sort Vyrso products by price:

http://vyrso.com/products/search?q=&start=0&sort=pricelo&pageSize=30

nicky crane:
And check out Logos freebies if you have not yet done so.

http://www.logos.com/products/search?start=&sort=pricelo&pageSize=30

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 11:46 AM

As I said, answers often come within minutes!

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 11:54 AM

Since I edited my earlier post I will add the information here in a new post so it will be e-mailed to you if you are following the thread. You may want to re-check previous posts to see if anyone has added to theirs since posting.  Changes can be made to posts within 12 hours (I think that is the time limit).

EDIT: You will also find http://www.logos.com/product/8810/the-norman-l-geisler-apologetics-library resources to be helpful.

I think Scholars was a great package for you to start with!

You have the Apologetics Bible in your package you might want to check out the articles in it, such as Has the Bible Been Accurately Copied Down Through the Centuries? Clicking the links will open the resource in your Logos4 software.
As well as How Can We Know the Bible Includes the Correct Books?

You also have Christianity on the Offense in your Scholar Library. I haven't yet read that one, but it looks helpful.

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:03 PM

Hi Jonny,

I'm going to take a slightly different tack to other contributers, based on your statement:

Jonathan Cousins:
I have done only "light' bible study through 8 chapter study guides, etc as part of small groups and mission teams.

I didn't see any evidence that you want to study the Bible in original languages (Greek, Hebrew, etc.) but rather that you want to:

Jonathan Cousins:
get into some good detailed bible study and soak myself, not only in the text of the bible, but also in all the surrounding evidence, resources, etc.

I think it's important for you to decide whether you have the time and interest to get into Greek. Based on where you seem to be, you might find getting a better understanding of the Bible in English to be a better focus for a while.

If this is the case, then think seriously about whether one of the lower packages would be better for you. The Bible Study or Leaders packages sounds like the best fit I can tell from what you've said. They include most of the English Bible Study resources from Scholars without the original languages. They are considerably cheaper and you could wisely use the savings for something like the IVP Reference Set (or ISBE) and the Tyndale Commentaries, both ideal for your expressed needs.

If you do intend to study Greek and/or Hebrew then you've chosen well.

Posts 28724
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 12:44 PM

Jonathan Cousins:

However I am also aware that I am not in a great position to respond back to some of their arguments, which included:

• The bible was changed and re-written to suit the churches political objectives

I want to get into some good detailed bible study and soak myself, not only in the text of the bible, but also in all the surrounding evidence, resources, etc.

I'm going to take a different position than the others - What is the intent of your Bible study - to reinforce positions you already know or to listen to God? Books on apologetics are useful in two situations:

• apologetics against your own position are useful for learning what others are being taught about your position and how they are taught to argue against it
  • apologetics written from others sharing your position are useful for learning how to express your position more clearly

But you need to have an informed position to start with. Until you have steeped yourself in the Scripture, apologetic books are little more than brainwashing by the author. The Bible has authority; authors of apologetic books do not. I would suggest, therefore, that you take some of the introductions to the Bible/Old Testament/New Testament and read them one at a time alongside along side the Bible. Do this two or three times then start close reading of books or sections of books that interest you - reading with the tools Logos provides for background, commentary etc. At this point, you will know the answers to your original questions by actual knowledge not by parroting back what you read. You will find knowledge to be a much more effective apologetic/witness.

True story: When I was 18, a friend was taking an evangelization course offered by her Pentecostal Church. She had been raised in a very closed environment and was not exactly prepared for the diversity of the world. She asked my roommate and myself (raised agnostic and Church of Christ, respectively) to be her guinea pigs. We agreed because we thought she wouldn't survive anyone really challenging her beliefs. So in our questions, we would challenge her only on issues we thought she could defend - always being very careful to be logical, consistent, Bible based ... Half way through the course we got fired as guinea pigs. Her teachers couldn't provide her appropriate defenses and wouldn't believe that she was correctly reporting our questions. She finished the course without any more practical experience. P.S. you should have seen me four years later in San Francisco with a 16 year old Jehovah's Witness on her own for the first time. I did much better giving her solid experience. She was sad to tell me I had exceeded the number of meeting in which she had to convert be or move on.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18860
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 1:12 PM

Jonathan Cousins:

Hi Jonny,

I'll add my welcome to the chorus of voices.

It's good that you're looking to deepen your journey in studying the Bible. But I wouldn't expect it to become a whole lot easier to convince your friends, even if you can come up with the best possible answers to all of their objections. Faith is more than an intellectual exercise as I'm sure you've discovered by now. You can pray for your friends, that the Holy Spirit will prepare their hearts to be receptive to the seed of God's Word, but without that, no amount of patient explanation will get past their defenses. They want to not believe, so they'll come up with some other excuses. Or they'll end up arguing back at your attempted persuasion, which isn't productive. Learn to discern when is a good time to explain the Bible to them and when it's best to just love them and pray for them. The way you communicate can be even more important than what you communicate in getting the message accepted.

It seems that in your post you are wisely asking for what resources would be best for you to grow in your Biblical knowledge, not necessarily anything for answering back your skeptical friends. I think that's a good approach. The better equipped you are to hold onto your faith in spite of what can sometimes be some pretty good arguments against it, the better off you'll be down the road in communicating with others of all stripes.

To that end, I'd recommend working to get a handle on how the whole grand narrative of Scripture from beginning to end holds together. Then dig into various parts of it. The thing about those focused 8-week Bible studies is they often give you plenty of detail on one theme or one book of the Bible but never a bird's-eye view of the whole thing.

Some books you already have in Scholar's Library that would give you the whole picture include:

• The Bible Guide
  • Bible Reader's Companion
  • Exploring the Old Testament
  • Exploring the New Testament
  • Holman QuickSource Guide to Understanding the Bible
  • Introducing the Old Testament
  • Introducing the New Testament

(Most of that list is in alphabetical order, but I put the Old Testament intros before the New Testament ones, and would recommend you start there, because the OT is such important background for understanding the NT.)

Posts 50
JAIN THOMAS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 1:28 PM

Hi Jonathan

Your decision to buy Scholars is the right choice. Anyways you can't go through entire material. But later on it will be helping you in one way or other.

Go to the viedeos of Ravi Zacharias. He is a very good apologetic and the way he presents things are amazing. You will see lot of his stuffs in YouTube.

Posts 794
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 2:49 PM

Lots of advice.

Well, here is my two cents worth ...

A very good resource for new believers as well as established ones is a dvd by D. A. Carson entitled, The God Who Is There.  Fourteen lectures totaling approximately 11 hours of viewing.  You will NOT find a better summarization of Christianity and what the essence of the biblical story is as this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/God-Who-There-Finding-Place/dp/0801030668/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1323556938&sr=8-4

Humblest regards,

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 33
Jonathan Cousins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 10 2011 4:12 PM

Hey, I can't thank you folks enough, it is a real encouragement to me to get your responses and hear your different opinions.

I know that none of you would want me to follow your advice just for the sake of following and the main thing is that I take it onboard and seek God's guidance on my own direction.

You have all confirmed to me that I have made the right decision in investing in Logos 4.

Posts 33
Jonathan Cousins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 11 2011 5:12 AM

BriM:

Hi Jonny,

I'm going to take a slightly different tack to other contributers, based on your statement:

Jonathan Cousins:
I have done only "light' bible study through 8 chapter study guides, etc as part of small groups and mission teams.

I didn't see any evidence that you want to study the Bible in original languages (Greek, Hebrew, etc.) but rather that you want to:

Jonathan Cousins:
get into some good detailed bible study and soak myself, not only in the text of the bible, but also in all the surrounding evidence, resources, etc.

I think it's important for you to decide whether you have the time and interest to get into Greek. Based on where you seem to be, you might find getting a better understanding of the Bible in English to be a better focus for a while.

If this is the case, then think seriously about whether one of the lower packages would be better for you. The Bible Study or Leaders packages sounds like the best fit I can tell from what you've said. They include most of the English Bible Study resources from Scholars without the original languages. They are considerably cheaper and you could wisely use the savings for something like the IVP Reference Set (or ISBE) and the Tyndale Commentaries, both ideal for your expressed needs.

If you do intend to study Greek and/or Hebrew then you've chosen well.

Hi, thanks for your response.

I have no training in any of the original languages, and at this point in time don't desire or intend to become fluent in them. However I would like to be able to look at what the meaning of a word was in the original language and context, as many words today have different meanings than they are meant to at time of writing (love, etc)

What I don't know yet is whether there are resources in Logos which will satisfy that requirement with have all the Greek/Hebrew resources that come as part of the Scholar package.

As you say, it may well be better to drop down to a lower package, (I am still within 30 day refund period) and spend the extra on some other good resources

What are your thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS