Is there a way to...

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 3
David J Heintzman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:01 PM

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to view a bible verse by verse in V. 4 rather than in paragraphs.  This would be equivelant to the V. 3 View...Bible Text Only option.

Thanks

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:05 PM

DavidJHeintzman:

I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to view a bible verse by verse in V. 4 rather than in paragraphs.  This would be equivelant to the V. 3 View...Bible Text Only option.

Thanks

Good question. It is possible there is a way to do this with visual filters since it has a "New Line" feature but I don't know what you would put in the find box. If it were to be implemented, I would guess the Devs would use this feature so that the interface does not become cluttered.

Posts 37
David Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:07 PM

I would be interested in this also. Its not a complaint, but I do prefer a "verse per line" format.

Posts 656
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:09 PM

The NASB in print and in the Logos version is a verse by verse Bible.

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:10 PM

JeremyEllis:

Someone else asked about this for the KJV. I think people who want this would want it for several/all (not sure how that works in the Message) versions.

Chris

Posts 37
David Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:11 PM

The KJV and NKJV are line by line in print, but not in Logos.

Posts 37
David Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:13 PM

I would want the option for all, its simply my preferred way of reading.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 7:16 PM

Chris Elford:

Someone else asked about this for the KJV. I think people who want this would want it for several/all (not sure how that works in the Message) versions.

Chris

Thats why I would suggest allowing a way to do this from the visual filter. One filter can do any number of translations, or all translation, if they allow you to find every verse number with the filter.

Posts 98
Tim Lord | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 10:19 PM

I agree, in Logos 4 we need a way to display our Bibles verse-by-verse in any translation as a selectable reading preference.  And with all the cross-references and notes still present (not stripped out).

Posts 31865
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 11:32 PM

Tim Lord:
to display our Bibles verse-by-verse

I am curious why people want a verse-by-verse display. Remember this is in the context of my wanting sentence-by-sentence. I am working hard on becoming a genuine curmudgeon on the topic - or was until I discovered curmudgeons are male by definition - so I'll go the cat route and be a sourpuss.

But I honestly am interested in why people want to look verse by bverse.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 1:46 AM

Martha,

I'm with you on this one.

Having verses numbered as if they are disconnected thoughts has helped in creating a lot of misinterpretation of scripture...

1st John anyone? Big Smile

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 1:52 AM

MJ. Smith:
I am curious why people want a verse-by-verse display. Remember this is in the context of my wanting sentence-by-sentence. I am working hard on becoming a genuine curmudgeon on the topic - or was until I discovered curmudgeons are male by definition - so I'll go the cat route and be a sourpuss.

Martha,

Whilst I am glad you have found my proposed avatar useful... and I'm surprised with how well it shows up in such a reduced state... if you're ever feeling particularly curmudgeonly (sourpussly?)... you might find the following better represents your state of mind:

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 2:16 AM

Robert Pavich:

Martha,

I'm with you on this one.

Having verses numbered as if they are disconnected thoughts has helped in creating a lot of misinterpretation of scripture...

1st John anyone? Big Smile

Come on Robert. Why are you so worried about interpretation? Isn't it more important that verses are easier to memorize?

NOTE: For those wanting Verse by verse I'm with you, no harm in the option...just having fun...

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:07 AM

Philip Spitzer:
Come on Robert. Why are you so worried about interpretation? Isn't it more important that verses are easier to memorize?

Yeah...and pull out like Scripture Shot-guns...lol Big Smile

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:13 AM

Robert Pavich:
Yeah...and pull out like Scripture Shot-guns...lol Big Smile

Yeah...well...I'm gonna make the head honcho Bob give me Portfolio because "I can do all things through Christ who Strengthens me."

Do you think he cringes when he reads these? We better be careful or we will be blackballed from the 5.0 beta.

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:23 AM

JeremyEllis:
Only in certain formats.  For instance my Cambridge NASB is paragraphed, much better that way IMHO.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 49
John A. Murphy, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 8:46 AM

I think verse by verse would be a GREAT filter!  When I lead inductive study I use verse by verse simply because then there are no paragraphs.  In our translations there are times when the paragraph breaks are what cause some of the misinterpretation.  

I also don't have the Chapter breaks between the verses, they are simply numbered:  1:31, 1:32, 2:1, 2:2, etc.  That my students read through the breaks to discover the context rather than stopping at the end of paragraphs or subtitles. 

Just adding to the discussion.  

Oh, and Thomas, I'm much happier with LOGOS 4 now.  :D  I spent a whole lot of hours in it this weekend, and have found my way around much more.  Please forgive my earlier rants, I truly was overwhelmed trying to learn a new program.  Can't wait for the prayer list to be added back in.  ;-)

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:25 AM

John A. Murphy, Jr.:
Oh, and Thomas, I'm much happier with LOGOS 4 now.  :D  I spent a whole lot of hours in it this weekend, and have found my way around much more.  Please forgive my earlier rants, I truly was overwhelmed trying to learn a new program.  Can't wait for the prayer list to be added back in.  ;-)
All is forgotten (Except by google Wink

Glad you've had time to acclimate to the weather in L4.  It's different and as noted a few items still need some spit-shine but it's getting better.

Look for more SR# updates this week.  Wink

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 31865
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:42 AM

John A. Murphy, Jr.:

there are times when the paragraph breaks are what cause some of the misinterpretation.  

I also don't have the Chapter breaks between the verses

I agree with you on both although I still hold to sentence by sentence rather than verse. I think that the legal format (page and print line number) has an advantage of having no implicit meaning ... but it would never work for Bible study.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2980
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 12:02 PM

I can't figure out what to put into a visual filter to do this.

It would be very nice to have a way to identify chapter markings, verse markings, & footnote marks so that we can use a simple visual filter to remove these from view. 

Anybody know of a way to identify these?

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS