Hidden tools?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 8 2009 9:30 PM

It occurred to me that the "Update Now" command comes up as "Tools Update Now" yet it is not listed under the Tools menu. Hence the question: are there other tools that are not listed?

Posts 726
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 9:36 PM

Yes, there are. Update Resources, Scan driveletter:\path, for example.

Chris

Posts 26524
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 8 2009 9:44 PM

Scan is not listed + some others that are for low-level diagnosis or emergency problem solving (Logos tech let us know as needed!).

Logos philosophy is that resource management tools are built into the "cloud", so we see an emphasis on bible Tools with minimal options in Program Settings.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:31 AM

You how some programs have a simple and an advanced interface? I think we power users need access to an advanced interface with more tools and settings at our disposal. Another way to do this is to have a "More" link at the bottom of the menus to access additional settings and commands while leaving the main interface uncluttered.

I say this because there is a HUGE gap between the options and customizations the user could access in L3 through menus, submenus and context menus and the relatively few in L4. While a segment of users might appreciate that, I think that L3 power users appreciated the tweaking and resourcefulness they could avail themselves to through those many tools, options and settings.

Perhaps it is already in the works and not implemented yet, but if not I would make this a suggestion. The question is: is this only me or how many of us would concur that this is something we want and need?

Posts 8660
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:38 AM

Francis,

More granular control was a fairly constant request in the beta group.  We have already had items added to control during the beta period - for instance internet on or off. 

If you have specific items you want to control  - I suggest starting a thread on that particular issue.  While Im' an inveterate tweaker I've come to appreciate some of Logos 4's defaults - but like you I would still like to be able to tweak them to my precise liking.

The problem with greater control is that it introduces more variables into the troubleshooting process - and it's not exactly a 2+1 complexity issue, it's more of a 210 complexity issue.  That results in increased support costs - which directly translates into less money going into resource development and /or platform development.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 9468
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:12 AM

Francis:
The question is: is this only me or how many of us would concur that this is something we want and need?

I am interested at this point.

I think there might be a way for Logos to deal with this interest without increasing support. That would be to release simple and advanced versions of the interface and let users choose which they want. However, Logos would not offer anything but forum and web support for any issues in the advanced version. No telephone calls and no dedicated support for the features in the advanced (Power User) interface. That would be something a user had to 'check off on' before getting the Power User interface.

A separate area of the forum (perhaps only for those with the advance features) could be created to provide mostly peer-peer support.

More work, but perhaps a way to support the needs and desires of two very different camps.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 26524
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 1:51 AM

Mark A. Smith:
I think there might be a way for Logos to deal with this interest without increasing support. That would be to release simple and advanced versions of the interface and let users choose which they want.

I think Logos will want to avoid versions of the UI, but not necessarily avoid providing Advanced options. For me, however, the real power lies with controlling pane placement when we have the main window and multiple floating windows eg. why should syntax searches always open in the main window?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 8:08 AM

I agree with the question you ask, Dave. Here is another related one: biblical people, places and things open by default in a floating window. While I can manually dock them everytime, I would prefer to have them docked by default. This is where settings and options come in handy. Perhaps there is a way to do this and I just don't know how or where.

Yesterday, I wanted to change the default font in notes. I tried "set default font..." in the command box and lo and behold, it was a command! What it did do is change the default font of the resources, not the notes. Still, I was glad for the discovery while left wondering how it is done for notes...

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 8:48 AM

Francis:
Yesterday, I wanted to change the default font in notes. I tried "set default font..." in the command box and lo and behold, it was a command! What it did do is change the default font of the resources, not the notes. Still, I was glad for the discovery while left wondering how it is done for notes...

While I don't know what (if any) the command line syntax is, but there is a "Notes" section in the Program Settings that will allow you to change the Notes font.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 8:56 AM

Kevin Becker:

Francis:

While I don't know what (if any) the command line syntax is, but there is a "Notes" section in the Program Settings that will allow you to change the Notes font.

Now, that's funny Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 11:04 AM

Yes, it is VERY funny but revealing! Since there is so little that is available under settings, it did not even cross my mind that the solution to any problem I might have might be there! Stick out tongue

Let me sit down: I need to recover from this shocking revelation

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS