Bible vs Leaders vs Scholar

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 245
BriM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 10:13 AM

Todd Phillips:

Jonathan Cousins:

Thanks everyone, I am still debating whether to move from Scholars down to Bible package or not.

I appreciate all your responses. Many of you have express how and why a certain package is of great value to you, however I was wondering if putting aside your own uses for your particular package, can you objectively say if Bible package is good enough for private bible study, not involving languages other than English?

Would the money be better spent, buying Bible package and using the $250 extra to buy a certain commentary set etc

Thanks

I think you would greatly benefit from buying the Bible Study Library and the Tyndale Commentaries (which cover every book of the bible).  If you shop around you could probably find the Tyndale set for cheaper, and you would have money to put towards something else too, like maybe ISBE.

I'd second this, based on all you've said I think Bible Study Library would suit you better than Scholars.

Tyndale and ISBE are good additions. IVP reference set is an alternative to ISBE. Each has their fans.

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:48 AM

Todd Phillips:
I think you would greatly benefit from buying the Bible Study Library and the Tyndale Commentaries (which cover every book of the bible).  If you shop around you could probably find the Tyndale set for cheaper, and you would have money to put towards something else too, like maybe ISBE.

I agree with Todd. That sounds like a great combination for you. Another plus about this option is that the Tyndale Commentaries and the ISBE are not in any base packages that you might upgrade to in the future. It can 'waste' money if you buy products now that are in a base package you might upgrade to later, because although you'll get a discount on the base package, it won't cover your costs.

The most cost effective way of doing this would either be to shop around for Tyndale as Todd mentioned (make sure you buy one that is Logos or Libronix compatible). Alternatively, you could buy direct from Logos the base package ($225) and Tyndale ($225), and then find something else for $50 so that you break the $500 barrier. (I might go for Grudem's Systematic Theology for $40, plus something like The Essential Bible Companion for $13), or could could swap Grudem for the ESV Study Bible notes. That would give you $125 in Logos.com credit, which you could then use in January to purchase the ISBE, so your total cost would only be something like $508.

By the way, make sure you get the new ISBE, linked above. It's more expensive, but much, much better that the old one.

Posts 33
Jonathan Cousins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 12:25 PM

Thanks folks.

My current status is that I own Scholars and I also bought the Pillar New Testament commentary on the $249 mis-price.

Am I better getting a refund on both and going for a few of the following as mentioned?

Or was the PNTC a good purchase at $249?

Even with going back down to Bible Study Library, the PNTC gets me close to the $500 mark.

I apologise for all the hassle and indecision, I just am trying to work out in a short space of time what is best.

In Bible Study Library, do I still get the Louw-Nida and Strongs tools as part of the ESV Reverse interlinear?

J

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 12:29 PM

shopping around = looking to see what other Logos books you want.  There are thousands to pick from.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 12:46 PM

nm

Posts 33
Jonathan Cousins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 1:53 PM

Joshua Garcia:

nm

Sorry? What does that mean?

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 2:03 PM

Jonathan Cousins:
Am I better getting a refund on both and going for a few of the following as mentioned

As you have Scholars/PNTC, you're now in the best position to know whether they are right for you. They're both excellent, but it seemed from your first post that they might be a bit much, and you would prefer something simpler. We can make suggestions, but as you have them in front of you, only you will know whether something simpler would be better. If so, then Todd's suggestion might well be the way to go. If not, what you already have will be great.

Jonathan Cousins:
In Bible Study Library, do I still get the Louw-Nida and Strongs tools as part of the ESV Reverse interlinear?

Strong's yes. Louw-Nida, to be truthful many of us are not sure! You don't get the Louw-Nida lexicon certainly, but whether you get the LN numbers in the reverse interlinear, I'm not sure (I've never had Leaders to know for certain).

Posts 29
RMC | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 2:19 PM

I have Bible Study library, and yes, you do get the LN numbers in the ESV interlinear. However, with the basic package, clicking on the LN numbers does not bring up any information, while clicking on the Strong's numbers brings you to your dictionaries (however I'm not an expert in Logos, so I could easily be missing something).  The Word Study tools that are available in Scholar's are missing in the Bible Study and Leader's package - this is the main reason I'm looking to upgrade eventually to Scholar's.   

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 2:29 PM

RMC:
I have Bible Study library, and yes, you do get the LN numbers in the ESV interlinear.

Thanks for clearing this up.

Posts 929
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 3:27 PM

Jonathan Cousins:

Joshua Garcia:

nm

Sorry? What does that mean?

I would hazard a guess that it means "never mind" - Mr Garcia must have written a reply, then thought better of it, so edited it and replaced his comment with "nm".

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 6:26 PM

RMC:
I have Bible Study library, and yes, you do get the LN numbers in the ESV interlinear. However, with the basic package, clicking on the LN numbers does not bring up any information, while clicking on the Strong's numbers brings you to your dictionaries (however I'm not an expert in Logos, so I could easily be missing something).

Original Language and higher packages include => Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament based on Semantic Domains that has Louw-Nida (LN) data type tagging, which is needed for LN number clicking or hover to show LN information.

RMC:
The Word Study tools that are available in Scholar's are missing in the Bible Study and Leader's package - this is the main reason I'm looking to upgrade eventually to Scholar's.  

Many Word Study tools need resource information for effective use.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS