back/forward resource buttons

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3160
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 15 2011 1:52 PM

Love my Logos books and software.  Here's something I think would improve our experience and usability, regarding the "forward/backward" arrow buttons for each open Logos book in Logos 4:

1. include a drop down menu for each arrow, so one does not have to click (blindly) through until the right spot is reached (fyi, you can open the history panel, if you like, to go straight to a location you have been to.  just trying to alleviate a step)
  2. I notice that though we can save layouts, once logos is closed and then re-opened, one can no longer use the forward and back buttons to find locations one has used for that resource.  For me, this came up while researching "advent."  I found several articles in multiple works.  Some works had several locations listed in my search (of the library).  When I clicked on an article in a new resource, that resource opened up to the proper location.  when I clicked on another article in the same resource, the already-opened-resource just went to that new article's location.  A few books had 5 or 6 locations I wanted to look at.  I ended up working through the search list, opened 10 or 12 resources, some with multiple articles.  My plan was to pick a resource, look at the most recently opened article, and "back arrow" my way through the resource to see the rest.  As it turned out, I had to save the layout and close Logos before I completed researching them all.  Upon reopening, all that work had been lost.

Has anyone encountered a need as described above, and feel this would be helpful?  Or have a counter point?  Please check-in with your opinion.  I'd like to hear your feedback.  Thanks!

HP Pavilion dv 7z 1000   AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz  3.00 GB RAM 64-bit Win 7

Posts 7304
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 15 2011 1:54 PM

Just as my web browser's back button opens up with a pick-list on a long click, yes I would love this in Logos.

Posts 8263
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 3:27 AM

Dan DeVilder:
include a drop down menu for each arrow

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3160
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 6:34 AM

Thomas Black:
Just as my web browser's back button opens up with a pick-list 

since this is pretty "normal" behavior for other applications, i am a bit surprised it was not built-in in logos.  curious as to why.

HP Pavilion dv 7z 1000   AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz  3.00 GB RAM 64-bit Win 7

Posts 407
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 7:46 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Love my Logos books and software.  Here's something I think would improve our experience and usability, regarding the "forward/backward" arrow buttons for each open Logos book in Logos 4:

1. include a drop down menu for each arrow, so one does not have to click (blindly) through until the right spot is reached (fyi, you can open the history panel, if you like, to go straight to a location you have been to.  just trying to alleviate a step)

The drop down menu is an excellent suggestion for L4.  I miss this L3 function.  In many cases, it is more efficient than opening the history window.

Posts 3160
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 1:37 PM

Scott S:

Dan DeVilder:

The drop down menu is an excellent suggestion for L4.  I miss this L3 function.  In many cases, it is more efficient than opening the history window.

agree.  efficient.

Posts 13220
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 6:34 PM

Yes

Logos User Voice suggestion => Bring back dropdowns on Forward and Backward buttons from L3 has 1 vote.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 407
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 9:58 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Logos User Voice suggestion => Bring back dropdowns on Forward and Backward buttons from L3 has 1 vote.

KS4J, thanks for bringing this to my attention. Now there are two votes.

Dan, how about you?

Posts 15727
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 11:56 PM

There was a very vocal forum member who used to bemoan the fact that this was missing from L3 days and he wasn't going to switch from L3 because of it. I can't remember who that was now. I haven't heard the complaint raised in a long time, but it's good to keep reminding Logos that it's something people miss.

Posts 3160
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 11:53 AM

Scott S:
Dan, how about you?

done!.  and thanks for bringing to my attention!

Posts 3549
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 1:59 PM

Rosie Perera:

There was a very vocal forum member who used to bemoan the fact that this was missing from L3 days and he wasn't going to switch from L3 because of it. I can't remember who that was now. I haven't heard the complaint raised in a long time, but it's good to keep reminding Logos that it's something people miss.

That would be me...Stick out tongue. I am befuddled every time I think about Bob's "reason" for not including this feature. He says that it "clutters" the appearance of the program. That is one of the lamest and most untrue things I've ever heard. Two tiny down buttons...

...with a massive amount of needed functionality constitute clutter? My first reaction is NO, THEY AREN'T. My second reaction is "so what if they are?" Function trumps form ALWAYS...and we NEED this function. Sort of like taking wheels off an automobile because "circles just don't have that streamlined look." Arggh!

My third reaction is, the right-click option that gives the same functionality CAN'T be clutter, because it is essentially invisible. This needs to be implemented immediately, if not last year.

Posts 3549
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 2:04 PM

The three Uservoice votes for this at this location should be added to this location...or be refunded.

Posts 15727
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 5:37 PM

David Paul:

The three Uservoice votes for this at this location should be added to this location...or be refunded.

I apparently am the one who posted that idea, but none of the three votes on it are mine. There's no way to find out whose votes those are and ask them to move their votes. Hopefully they'll see this thread.

Posts 196
Rick Ratzlaff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 7:27 AM

Yes   da

Posts 3549
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 8:34 AM

Rosie Perera:

There's no way to find out whose votes those are and ask them to move their votes. Hopefully they'll see this thread.

Those votes were mine, Dan's and Scott's. I tried to take back my vote but couldn't get it to refund. I already have 3 votes on the other suggestion, so I guess it can't transfer. The other guys could...IF they can recall their votes. Is that an option?

Posts 3160
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:15 AM

I'm not seeing how that is an option.  I thought I had done similar in the past, but if i did, I can't remember how.  hmmm

Posts 3160
Forum MVP
Dan DeVilder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 9:19 AM

Dan DeVilder:

I'm not seeing how that is an option.  I thought I had done similar in the past, but if i did, I can't remember how.  hmmm

nevermind,  figured it out.  clicking on "vote" allows me to un-vote.  done.  added to "Right-Cick (sic) History"

Posts 15727
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 11:02 AM

David Paul:
I tried to take back my vote but couldn't get it to refund. I already have 3 votes on the other suggestion, so I guess it can't transfer

You should be able to unvote on this, but 3 is the maximum number of votes so you'll have to use your one freed-up vote on something else.

EDIT: You might also want to post a comment there with a link to the other item, so that future people stumbling upon it will not waste their votes here but will vote on the other one instead. Maybe there is a way to request that Logos delete this one once the vote count gets back down to zero.

Posts 3549
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 12:34 PM

I tried unvoting but it didn't work. I also tried to post another comment with a link to the other vote option, but it wouldn't let me. I suppose can I try again...

Posts 15727
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 20 2013 11:44 PM

David Paul:

I tried unvoting but it didn't work. I also tried to post another comment with a link to the other vote option, but it wouldn't let me. I suppose can I try again...

Are you logged in with the same login you used when you placed those votes?

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS