Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jul 27 2009 2:09 PM

I have a friend who has expressed a desire to learn Greek.  He is retired and will not be going to a seminary or school someday.  So what Logos product do you think I should suggest to him so he can learn Greek on a self-study basis?  He has zero knowledge about biblical languages; just a burning desire to learn.

What about: The Original Word Teaching Series I: Introduction to New Testament Greek?

Posts 10
Dave Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 2:17 PM

We have a few beginning Greek grammars.  Perhaps some who have worked with them can give their opinion.

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Beginner’s Grammar of the Greek NT: Revised and Expanded NEW!

Introduction to Biblical Greek Collection, 3 vols. – Swetnam & Zerwick

Introduction to New Testament Greek

Kairos: A Beginning Greek Grammar & Workbook NEW!

Learn to Read NT Greek – David Alan Black NEW!

Learning the Basics of NT Greek with Workbook – Hadjiantoniou NEW!

Posts 25584
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 7:12 PM

David A Jones:

It's pleasing to see that Logos staff (the Logos logo is missing!) can make a mess from pasting text!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3
K. B. Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 28 2009 1:42 PM

I'm just beginning to learn Greek and have chosen the Learn to Read  NT Greek by D. A. Black and added today an audio book - Greek Audio NT by John Schwand which I just downloaded today. My theory is that learning to read Greek will require some development in pronouncing these words correctly, as well.

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2009 4:29 AM

Thanks.  I will for sure check those out.

Posts 1141
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2009 11:13 AM

What helped me liked no other beginning Greek resource(s) and I tried many of them is Bill Mounce's "Greek for the Rest of Us."  It is not part of a Bible software program but reading the book and watching/listening to the accompanying cd lectures gave me a great understanding of Greek so that I could more readily use BDAG, TDNT and other Greek lexica.  Here's a link to Biblical Training Org which offers many free classes and one is Mounce's Greek Tools which is essentially his Greek for the Rest of Us package:

http://www.biblicaltraining.org/lamp

Or the book itself:

http://www.amazon.com/Greek-Rest-Us-Mastering-Biblical/dp/0310282896/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248977538&sr=1-5

So this is off topic as far as not being exactly Logos software.  However, because of Mounce's class, I have purchased more Logos Bible software and use it with more confidence.  And yes, there are probably some drawbacks to his system but it is the best I could do for my age, limitations and where I live.  Hope this helps.

Posts 502
Randall Hartman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2009 12:27 PM

Thanks for taking the time to pass along the excellent idea.  I will check in to it at once!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS