Base Package Comparison - in Excel!

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 17 2011 9:39 PM

Hi everybody,

First post here. I'm a prospective Seminary student and occasional teacher/worship leader who currently owns the Bible Study Library, and am looking to upgrade, so I've been comparing the Original Languages and Scholar's libraries. The comparison page on Logos is nice, but as a professional nerd I felt the compulsive need to filter, sort, and otherwise slice and dice the data, so I did a little hacking with the HTML source and came up with an Excel version of the comparison sheet. No use keeping it all to myself, so I figured I'd post it on here.

0537.Logos Package Comparison.xlsx

Let me know if you find this useful!

Posts 24716
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 17 2011 10:00 PM

Welcome Mitchell,

Thank you for submitting the spreadsheet (very neat); I'm sure people will find it useful.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2011 1:57 PM

Thanks much Mitchell! I've been wanting to see in one place the titles that are in in Portfolio only to see what I'd be getting if I upgraded from Platinum (as if I could ever afford it). 131 Titles.   thanks again.

Posts 10038
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2011 2:31 PM

Great wok Mitchell! Being a compulsive nerd-ess, I added a column inserting the resource name where my target-level minus my current level > 0 (thanks to your using numbers!!).  Sure would be nice if some of your compulsive nerd-ity rubbed off on the Logos.com comparison page!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2011 3:10 PM

Also would be nice if Logos combined or linked two base package comparison pages:

http://www.logos.com/comparison

http://www.logos.com/catholiccomparison

Likewise wish could click on resource to open Logos product page.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10038
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2011 3:14 PM

Keep Smiling ... your ideas are too good! Please be careful.

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2011 4:15 PM

Welcome, Mitchell and thanks for this!

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2011 4:59 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback, all!

@Keep Smiling, I completely agree, especially on the count of linking the resource to the product page. If I find a few spare minutes I'll add the Catholic packages to the comparison spreadsheet. Now that I've got the site's layout reverse engineered it won't take long.

I bet someone with more data mining prowess than me could add product page links to my spreadsheet, and maybe even put in the price of the item if bought individually. Any takers?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2011 5:21 PM

Mitchell Ebbott:
@Keep Smiling, I completely agree, especially on the count of linking the resource to the product page. If I find a few spare minutes I'll add the Catholic packages to the comparison spreadsheet. Now that I've got the site's layout reverse engineered it won't take long.

Note: the Catholic "Bible Translations" list compares with two sections of original comparison page: English Bibles and Ancient Texts in Translation

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2822
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 18 2011 5:27 PM

Thanks Mitchell!  I find the Excel comparison sheet very helpful.  I hope you continue to post.  You will be an asset to the Logos Forum Community.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2011 7:34 AM

Great job Mitchell! I deeply wish Logos' upgrade page did this. 

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 19 2011 1:45 PM

Updated spreadsheet with Catholic packages, as promised. Unfortunately Logos uses trivially different titles on each comparison page, so I couldn't do a lookup to get a direct comparison that's accurate. For example, "The English-Greek Reverse Interlinear New Testament: KJV" vs "KJV English–Greek Reverse Interlinear". Because of this, I had to put the Catholic package comparison in a separate tab.

8132.Logos Package Comparison.xlsx

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 3:58 PM

Mitchell Ebbott:

Updated spreadsheet with Catholic packages, as promised. Unfortunately Logos uses trivially different titles on each comparison page, so I couldn't do a lookup to get a direct comparison that's accurate. For example, "The English-Greek Reverse Interlinear New Testament: KJV" vs "KJV English–Greek Reverse Interlinear". Because of this, I had to put the Catholic package comparison in a separate tab.

8132.Logos Package Comparison.xlsx

Mitchell, May the Peace and Joy of the Christ Child always be with you and yours!            *smile*

Thank you for the effort you have made in our behalf.  Indeed!               I find it very, very helpful.

John 14:27

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 6:29 AM

Mitchell Ebbott:

Thanks again Mitchell!

I updated the catholic tab with the Catholic Libray Builder http://www.logos.com/product/10056/catholic-library-builder , which is no base package but a large resource bundle which I happen to own (drawing on the work M.J. Smith did here http://community.logos.com/forums/t/38933.aspx ) and the Minimal Crossgrade http://www.logos.com/minimalcrossgrade (which is a base package, albeit a very small one, which I happen to own). But then again, everything should be in one place. I thus integrated the "catholic" tab into the standard tab - mainly by manually comparing, copying the data into the Standard sheet. 

To enhance usefulness of this in buying decisions, I included two other columns: "additional licence" and "I own" - the latter just sums up the entries from Minimal Crossgrade, Cathoilic Library Builder and "additional licence"- if this is greater 0, I have the resource (obviously everybody needs to fill in this column manually for themselves, and I didn't care to complete this so far).

Thus, the resulting sheet may be useful for deciding over next steps (I found that buying OL may be comparable to upgrading to Catholic Scholars for me). Everyone should be aware that I may have made mistakes and that this sheet may not give correct information as to the resources one obtains by buying/upgrading.

That said, I hope this is helpful for somebody - everybody feel free to correct, update etc.3438.Logos Package Comparison in one sheet.xlsx

Merry Christmas,

Mick

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 4:13 AM

Triggered by this thread http://community.logos.com/forums/t/42613.aspx I added some more functionality to the sheet: There are three additional colums to facilitate comparison between two packages, right now Christian Home (CH) and the Minimal Crossgrade MC. The sheet right now in column "R" filters all things that are contained either in MC or in CH. Then there are two columns where you can easily see the resources/functionality contained in one but not the other. 

0081.Logos Package Comparison in one sheet.2.xlsx

Enjoy!

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 12:57 PM

On this, the Commemoration of our Lord's birthday ...   Merry Christmas to all  ...

and thanks to Mitchell and NewbieMick for sharing!         *smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9913
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 9:15 AM

Just a quick update: Working further with the spreadsheet allowed me to determine that Catholic Scholars is more helpful for my current library situation than Original Languages and even gives me a lot of resources I wouldn't get from 'classic' Scholars (which would give me a number of resources on Ministry, Preaching etc. that I currently don't need), so it helped me to decide where to spend my money.

There is at least one known error on the sheet above: the KJV Cambridge Paragraph bible and the AEV1874 are the same bible, which affects the comparison of interlinears four lines are listed, should be only two. Maybe I'll post an updated version of the sheet, if it is helpful. 

I also wondered whether the authorless "Harmony of the Gospels" was a duplicate of e.g. Robertson, but now while Catholic Scholars is happily indexing, I know that this is an update to Robertson by Steven Cox and Kendell Easley: http://www.logos.com/product/7295/harmony-of-the-gospels 

Posts 66
Father Gregory | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 10:05 PM

Outstanding..............

Thank you for your time and effort!

Blessings.

Posts 589
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 12:04 PM

Mitchell-

Thanks for the very helpful spread sheet. Logos should give you credit for my upgrade purchase Geeked

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 8:20 AM

Haha, I wouldn't say no to that! I'm glad this has been so helpful, I'll be sure to keep this updated whenever base packages change.

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS