Logos 4 advertising is intrusive

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 277
Ergatees | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 10:24 AM

Yep! I find the pop-up to be distracting when I start my software and frankly I don't care for it. I checked my home page and I saw 2 pages amounting to 1 1/2 pages of content on the home page which has become (it seems to me) to be more and more advertizing since I began with this software which I do love. I must mention my screen size is a 23 inch monitor which supports hi-def (PC).

So I turned off the Logos Blog and My Messages and along with what was already not ticked, the home page was reduced to only 1/2 page of content...and I do have the devotionals ticked.

I would prefer to just go online to logos.com to see what is new in the various areas.

My 2 cents.

Merry Christmas to all!

E.

Posts 8659
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 10:58 AM

Rev Chris:
Ah ... it's a reading "plan" not reading "list"!
Um.  yeah.  Sorry about my slip in the nomenclature there. Embarrassed

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 8659
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 11:02 AM

Ergatees:
... which has become (it seems to me) to be more and more advertizing since I began with this software...
That may be indicative of the fact that Logos has been bringing more and more products into the Community pricing and prepub streams at an ever increasing pace.  Turning off those aspects of the home page will hide those items as you noted.

When I first started with Logos, there were a few thousands of books available.  Today I believe the number is inching towards 20,000; and many of those are/have worked their way through prepub.

A final tip for a number of folks that might read this:  Several of us use the customize button to turn OFF the home page altogether.  I'd rather load to a blank screen myself.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:08 PM

Thomas Black:

A final tip for a number of folks that might read this:  Several of us use the customize button to turn OFF the home page altogether.  I'd rather load to a blank screen myself.

I like the homepage - the random pictures are colorful and shiny! Big Smile

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 10
Larry Weldon | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:29 PM

Someone mentioned that there's lots of free stuff which comes from the blog - the ad notices also come to my email where they should come. Rev Chris just noted that he likes the home page - so do I. I haven't yet a clue where I would get the time required to get all the windows arranged as they are if I just click the daily reading. That's just too good to lose - unless you're a real expert.

I got the Perseus stuff recently but I used the email notice for it, not the home page. I also think it's been a while since Bro. Proctor had a lesson in the blog that came through email. And that ridiculous 12 days of Logos just came through the email. I can't turn that off without turning off Bro. Morris - and that would be like shooting off my foot.

Oh well. It seems no one really noticed the remark by ergatees about turning off the ads made the home page go from 6 pages to 2. That happened to me, too. The point still remains that when I look at my email I have Logos mail going to a specific folder where I want to see what's new. When I click the Logos link on my PC or Android I want to study the Bible, not the 12 days of Logos or some marketing major's idea of what I like. (Yourself excepted - sorry).

Well, Merry Christmas.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:49 PM

Larry Weldon:
Someone mentioned that there's lots of free stuff which comes from the blog - the ad notices also come to my email where they should come. Rev Chris just noted that he likes the home page - so do I.

Also open Logos 4 to Home Page so posted suggestion => Suggestion: Home Page Blog customization option since would likewise appreciate a Home Page without marketing or advertising (being content with what is in my Library; do check email and Logos web pages along with reading forum).

By the way, have been adding items to my wish list on Logos.com (pondering and praying about purchases).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 12:54 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

By the way, have been adding items to my wish list on Logos.com (pondering and praying about purchases).

Keep Smiling Smile

Are you hoping we take a look at your wish-list and buy some things for you? Stick out tongue

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 19124
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 1:08 PM

Donnie Hale:
Check out http://www.ghostery.com/ if you want to have a better understanding of how sites are attempting to track you.

Thanks, Donnie. This sounds cool. I like that you can control which companies can track you. It's a bit worrisome that people can turn off all tracking so things like StatCounter (which I, along with many many people, use to count how many visitors come to their blog) won't work reliably anymore. Oh well. I guess the price for my own personal freedom from being tracked means I should expect others to let me track them. I did check all the boxes except StatCounter and a couple of others that I know by name recognition, though, and trust as useful to someone whom I might be knowingly doing business with and want them tracking me. I find it's useful to check Alexa once in a while, for example, to see what are the most popular websites. So I want to allow it to continue being useful, and don't mind if it tracks anonymously which sites I visit.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 21 2011 1:19 PM

Larry Weldon:
Someone mentioned that there's lots of free stuff which comes from the blog - the ad notices also come to my email where they should come. Rev Chris just noted that he likes the home page - so do I.

Also open Logos 4 to Home Page so posted suggestion => Suggestion: Home Page Blog customization option since would likewise appreciate a Home Page without marketing or advertising (being content with what is in my Library; do check email and Logos web pages along with reading forum).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS