12 Days of Logos Underwhelming?

Page 3 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 56 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 128
Terry Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 5:36 PM

Back in the good ole days Logos offerred its customers 50% off on all downloads. This allowed customers the chance to decide their own sale. You say "underwhelming" for the 2011 12 days promotion? Too bad there's not a word to describe -under-underwhelming.

Terry Cook

sDg

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 5:48 PM

Wow, those WERE th good old days! I racked up two years in a row on only books I wanted! 50% off no matter how much $ you spent! 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 6:55 PM

Taxee:
The main thing is that you are happy with your purchases.  Buyer's remorse is not pleasant.  ...and ignorance is bliss!

Yes, I am very happy with my purchases; all  203  separate orders, so far. You can tell yourselves all week long I am ignorant and therefore blissful. I would challenge you to run the figures through your mathematically superior minds. Geeked

1. Add up all your orders (should be easier than my 203) with the actual cash you tendered unto Logos.
  2. Add the current regular selling prices of the resources you got for those payments. Don't cheat by using MSRPs.
  3. Use the two figures to determine the percentage of savings you have enjoyed. (I caution you here to average percentages not add. Hmm Only the blissfully ignorant would make that mistake. Confused)

Whenever you are done to your own satisfaction I bet we will discover my blissful buying binges have succeeded in delivering a higher return on the dollar.

I guarantee you I'm ahead Stick out tongue

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 7:10 PM

Joshua Garcia:
When I use credit to purchase resources will it be taxed?

It depends. Do you live in one of those repressive government states that wants to tax the air you breathe? So far, Oklahoma does not tax us on downloadable purchases from out of state. I imagine the greater Bellingham area has to collect sales taxes from local residents to keep the state so beautiful.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 7:14 PM

Super Tramp:

Joshua Garcia:

It depends. Do you live in one of those repressive government states that wants to tax the air you breathe? So far, Oklahoma does not tax us on downloadable purchases from out of state. I imagine the greater Bellingham area has to collect sales taxes from local residents to keep the state so beautiful.

I live in CA, and never have had to pay sales tax. If you've never paid sales tax before you shouldn't.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 7:42 PM

Joshua Garcia:

Hey Joshua! That is a brilliant question.  Think this through with me;

When I buy Logos resources with income that has already been subject to taxes the resources are really costing me more than $1 for a dollar's worth of purchasing power. If I create wealth out of thin air (al la federal Reserve) using Logos Credit, my tax-free (or is that Taxee-free Wink income?) buys more per dollar, No? I'm so blissful I'm giddy! Stick out tongue

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 7:50 PM

Philana Crouch:

I live in CA, and never have had to pay sales tax. If you've never paid sales tax before you shouldn't.

I live in Texas and everytime I buy something from Logos it is taxed. However, Logos credit is not money. How could it pay for taxes?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 8:22 PM

Joshua Garcia:
I live in Texas and everytime I buy something from Logos it is taxed. However, Logos credit is not money. How could it pay for taxes? 

Even digital downloads? I am sorry to hear that. Once upon a time Texas was the "promised land" to me. There were no income taxes or sales taxes.

Well, shouldn't you be used to it by now? Big Smile  We have real cheap housing north of the Red River.

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 8:34 PM

Super Tramp:

Joshua Garcia:

Even digital downloads? I am sorry to hear that. Once upon a time Texas was the "promised land" to me. There were no income taxes or sales taxes.

Well, shouldn't you be used to it by now? Big Smile  We have real cheap housing north of the Red River.

Yes, even DLs. Sad

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 8:38 PM

Joshua Garcia:

Philana Crouch:

I'm not sure...I don't think it's the credit that is getting taxed, it's the item. I would check with Customer Service. That's too bad about Texas.

At this point I don't, but we have some cities suing Amazon over this in CA, so it could change. They claim it's hurting local bookstores ect. But with Logos books it doesn't make sense to claim its harming them. Most local bookstores (unless it's a seminary bookstore) doesn't sell a lot of the things I purchase. So it's not taking away from local business or taxes, I mean most of these books I buy I can't get at Barnes & Noble or my local bookstore. I guess theoretically they could special order, but really I would never go to a local bookstore and buy HALOT or BDAG. 

So I hope digital downloads continue to get an exception. Did not realize other states charged taxes on digital downloads.

Posts 1493
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 9:01 PM

I understand it is the item that gets taxed. However, can those taxes be paid with the credit? Or will I have to use "real money" to pay for the taxes on the items I buy with the Christmas credit?

Posts 823
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 2:53 AM

I think we have been spoiled in the past and have come to expect monster discounts at Christmas.  I only bought one of the offers (Waltke Hebrew Syntax) but appreciated being able to get this as it's been on my mental "wish list" for a while.  Some of the big bundles, while tremendous offers, were more than I felt I could justify spending, so I restrained my clicking finger and thought about something else instead. 

I love the Logos Credit idea - as someone who regularly makes judicious purchases, it provides a way for me to buy something that wasn't on offer (Liddell Scott) and get some money off the next thing I buy in the new year.  I like that, and as others have pointed out, it provides a significant discount on anything we buy.  I'm not going to argue about the exact percentage, but it doesn't take higher maths to recognise that, for those of us who buy stuff regularly, we save money. 

I'm grateful that Logos provides ways such as these to help me build  up resources to enhance my devotional life and ministry.  I am also intensely aware that, for most of us, having a fantastic personal library is a lower financial priority than seeing God's kingdom extended on this earth. I sometimes find it tricky to strike a balance between that must-have resource and investing in ministries that alleviate poverty, support missions, and build the Church.

Have a great Christmas, everybody.

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 3:49 AM

GregW:
I think we have been spoiled in the past and have come to expect monster discounts at Christmas.

Christmas credit with return of Christmas Collections appears monstrous => Look what I just found: last year's Christmas collections are back!

If spend $ 2,500, receive $ 1,000 credit next year toward future purchases.  Christmas Master collection is $ 2,211

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 4:26 AM

GregW:

Some of the big bundles, while tremendous offers, were more than I felt I could justify spending, so I restrained my clicking finger and thought about something else instead. 

Great overall post GregW!

Posts 1355
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 6:58 AM

GregW:

I think we have been spoiled in the past and have come to expect monster discounts at Christmas. Some of the big bundles, while tremendous offers, were more than I felt I could justify spending, so I restrained my clicking finger and thought about something else instead. 

I love the Logos Credit idea - as someone who regularly makes judicious purchases, it provides a way for me to buy something that wasn't on offer (Liddell Scott) and get some money off the next thing I buy in the new year.  I like that, and as others have pointed out, it provides a significant discount on anything we buy.  I'm not going to argue about the exact percentage, but it doesn't take higher maths to recognise that, for those of us who buy stuff regularly, we save money. 

I'm grateful that Logos provides ways such as these to help me build  up resources to enhance my devotional life and ministry.  I am also intensely aware that, for most of us, having a fantastic personal library is a lower financial priority than seeing God's kingdom extended on this earth. I sometimes find it tricky to strike a balance between that must-have resource and investing in ministries that alleviate poverty, support missions, and build the Church.

Yes

I have been able to restrain myself, so far. I already owned some of the best bargains that were offered. I might be more tempted by the after Christmas specials.

Posts 9910
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 7:05 AM

GregW:

I think we have been spoiled in the past and have come to expect monster discounts at Christmas.  I only bought one of the offers (Waltke Hebrew Syntax) but appreciated being able to get this as it's been on my mental "wish list" for a while.  Some of the big bundles, while tremendous offers, were more than I felt I could justify spending, so I restrained my clicking finger and thought about something else instead. 

Yes

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 8:45 AM

GregW:
I am also intensely aware that, for most of us, having a fantastic personal library is a lower financial priority than seeing God's kingdom extended on this earth. I sometimes find it tricky to strike a balance between that must-have resource and investing in ministries that alleviate poverty, support missions, and build the Church.

I know a godly man, some would call him a "simple" man, who walks the streets of our neighborhoods looking for people with needs he can meet. This retired elderly fellow does not seek praise or attention and the people he helps are in no position to benefit him in return. He provides food, clothing, toys, and transportation. He prays for their needs he can't meet and shares the gospel with them.

The funny thing is, this gentleman does not own Logos or any other Bible software. He can not tell you the history of any denomination. He doesn't know any Greek or Hebrew. He can not preach and it is not in his character to debate anything. He is driven by an insatiable desire to please Jesus. I know this because his eyes well up with tears when he asks me if he is doing right.

None of us need to have everything Logos publishes. Indifferent It is easier to justify Bible software than a Harley, or a swimming pool or a big screen TV. None of these are inherently evil but we don't need or deserve them. When the prodigal returned home his father threw a feast for him out of love. I acknowledge I don't need or deserve a big Logos library. My heavenly Father has a long track record of giving good things to people who do not deserve them. My challenge is not to let the gift block out the Giver.

Thanks to all my fellow joint-heirs for understanding my over-enthusiasm for good things like Logos. 

Have a blessed week looking to the Giver in thankfulness.

Page 3 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS