The Case Against Q: Studies in Markan Priority and Synoptic Problem by Mark Goodacre

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 23 2011 12:35 AM

One more suggestion from me. Big Smile

I have not read this, but I have heard many good things about it. I would love the opportunity to purchase this from Logos and save a tree!

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Against-Studies-Priority-Synoptic/dp/1563383349/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1324628321&sr=1-1

Posts 18754
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 12:44 AM

Sounds good. Of course it would make sense for an author named Mark (Goodacre) to argue for Markan Priority. Smile

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 4:34 AM

If anyone wants a sample of sorts, Mark has a podcast on iTunes U, including some normal and some extended episodes on the synoptic problem.

And The Synoptic Problem: A Way through the Maze is in Logos already.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 521
Russ White | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 27 2011 9:19 AM

Yes

Posts 10309
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 27 2011 9:35 AM

I'm waiting for the sequal where the synoptics supplemented John. Sounds bizarre but the syntactic patterns in John track most closely to Mark (along with early Acts). And some of Matthew's material sure looks Qumran-ish (until the resurrection of 'the saints' before Jesus, that is).

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2016 4:06 AM

I'd like to buy this book in Logos — especially as the paperback is $50!

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2016 5:55 AM

I don't know much about this book but there is already available in various Logos journals the amazing story and the fresh approach of Eta Linnemann. (A search for her surname brings up 638 results from my journals.) In them the story of her scholarly background, her conversion to evangelical Christianity and her repudiation of her previous teaching is told.

She was a student of Bultmann and a respected scholar but in her mid-50's she became a Christian and moved completely away from the acceptance of Q to an assertion of independence on the part of the Gospel writers. Her story is well worth reading, and is readily accessible in an article which is free online, as well as being available in Logos format in some of the journal bundles: 

"Eta Linnemann: Friend Or Foe Of Scholarship?" Robert W. Yarbrough Master’s Seminary Journal 8, no. 2 (1997): 161-189.

Perhaps this is somewhere to start while the other resource is unavailable? 

Colin

Posts 13368
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 17 2016 11:15 AM

Colin:
Perhaps this is somewhere to start while the other resource is unavailable? 

Thanks, Colin. I'll look that up. In the meantime I'm reading The Synoptic Problem: A Way through the Maze. 

Posts 34
David Sloan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 19 2018 8:27 AM

Goodacre's work spawned many subsequent works arguing for the Farrer Hypothesis, and should definitely be in Logos. I would also like to see Goodacre and Perrin's Questioning Q and Poirier and Peterson's Marcan Priority without Q in Logos. I doubt that these works will dismount the two-document hypothesis as the majority view, but everyone should have easy access to these works. Perhaps even more surprising is the fact that B.H. Streeter's Four Gospels (which was the standard text on the synoptic problem for decades) is not in Logos! We definitely need more works on the synoptic problem here.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS