Controlling what pane a resource opens in

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 725
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:38 AM

In general it is very unpredictable what pane will be chosen when I open a resource. Is there any way to control this? It is cumbersome to open a resource, then find where it went (the visual cue does not always appear to tell me) and then the drag the resource where I want it originally. I would prefer that it go into the active pane or at least that that be a Settings option.

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but you can always preempt the panel choosing behavior by dragging the link to your desired pane (it will open there).

There is also the option on the panel menu (the book cover in the upper-right of a resource) to "Send hyperlinks here" which will attempt to open any clicked links in that resource before opening a new one.

Posts 25833
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:03 AM

Harry Hahne:
In general it is very unpredictable what pane will be chosen when I open a resource.

Yes. For me this is worse than L3 because I tend to forget where a resource is and resort to opening it via the Command bar!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:07 AM

The way it is supposed to work is that if you have a pane containing Bibles, new Bibles opened will go to that pane. If you have one containing commentaries, new commentaries will go there. What I don't know is how it determines it if 1)there is a Bible and commentary in the same pane. I'm guessing it goes by the tab on the furthest Right or the last tab opened 2) there are two panes that contain commentaries. I'm guessing its by the last pane that was used. I have found in general that this works.

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:42 AM

Harry Hahne:

In general it is very unpredictable what pane will be chosen when I open a resource. Is there any way to control this? It is cumbersome to open a resource, then find where it went (the visual cue does not always appear to tell me) and then the drag the resource where I want it originally. I would prefer that it go into the active pane or at least that that be a Settings option.

Harry,

I protested this inability in L4 in the beta trails. This is one change from L3 that I dearly miss! For instance, in L3 I could designate a pane as my commentary pane, link it to the Bible pane and each sunsequent commentary I opened would automatically open in that pane and be linked to my active bible. I soooo miss this capability. It's too intuitive to deny its usefulness! Why can't we go back to this ability? I don't want to go back to Egypt... just go get something we left there! (Sorry that was a reference to an earlier, hilarious post.)

Logos, can we reconsider this? Can we at least have an option to make this setting? Please!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 3:24 AM

James Thompson:
Logos, can we reconsider this? Can we at least have an option to make this setting? Please!

While I understand the logic behind the new system, I'll add my voice to being able to define a pane as "the commentary" pane. That way if I have a Bible opened in it as well it won't confuse things and I'll now where to go.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 3:29 AM

I REALLY REALLY LIKED the thing in v3 where I REPLACED commentaries in a window..with the next one in line and opening up an ADDTIONAL was not the default...

Please bring this default back.. Stick out tongue

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 3:31 AM

Philip Spitzer:
While I understand the logic behind the new system, I'll add my voice to being able to define a pane as "the commentary" pane. That way if I have a Bible opened in it as well it won't confuse things and I'll now where to go.

If I could voice how I would like to see this implemented  I would suggest that Right clicking between the + and X of a pane would show a drop-down of all the data types with a checkbox beside each. You can click as many data types as you want, but selecting a type in one pane removes the selection from all other panes. If no pane is set up for a given type, that type is opened according to the currently set default. This keeps the option out of view for those who don't care about it, but allows easy access for those who cared enough about the function to seek out how to do it.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 3:33 AM

Robert Pavich:

I REALLY REALLY LIKED the thing in v3 where I REPLACED commentaries in a window..with the next one in line and opening up an ADDTIONAL was not the default...

Please bring this default back.. Stick out tongue

Yes. If I open a commentary from a passage guide, any other commentary I open from that passage guide should open in the same tab. I do really miss this. Things are getting un-weilding with 50 commentaries opening.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 3:34 AM

And can we add to that drop down box - "close all tabs". I'm always click in this space and then have to remember to go click on the tabs (of course the X should be for all tabs anyway with each tab having its own X)

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 3:35 AM

Damian McGrath:
And can we add to that drop down box - "close all tabs". I'm always click in this space and then have to remember to go click on the tabs (of course the X should be for all tabs anyway with each tab having its own X)

Agreed. I think that is far more intuitive. Either that or clicking the X brings a drop-down that says Close current/Close all.

Posts 18
David Wallace | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:37 AM

I, too, think that each tab having it's own X is far more intuitive. Current OS design in Windows browsers, where we typically see tabbed design, uses this system. It is jarring each time I try to close a tab after being conditioned to use the X on the tab itself, to have to go find the other X.

Earth-shattering? No. But good design is good design.

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:26 AM

Jacob Carpenter:

There is also the option on the panel menu (the book cover in the upper-right of a resource) to "Send hyperlinks here" which will attempt to open any clicked links in that resource before opening a new one.

This rarely works. e.g.

I selected the upper middle pane for 'Send hyperlinks here'. Then i select the upper left pane to view something. Next i select 'Tools -> Program settings'. Guess where it opens it (in the upper left pane).

Next (still with the upper middle pane designated as where to send hyperlinks) i open Library and have a book open (monogram), it sends it to the lower pane (which is all commentaries).

so when opening books from my library there is no telling where it will open. Sometimes it isn't obvious where it put it. Then i have to drag it where i want it. This does disrupt my train of thought.

Oh yea, when you select a tab to be opened in a floating window, all bets are off to where it will land when you select dock it.

Sorry for the complaining, but i hope that feedback from users will guide future changes.

Thank you for listening

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 1706
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:27 PM

The system tries to automatically put similar resources together in tiles.

We'd like to improve the logic so that it makes better guesses. I'm open to UI to have you specify where things should go, but I'm reluctant to have it driven by data type, because we're trying to hide that level of complexity.

A) The Passage Guide in 3.0 had its own private logic that "forced" commentaries into the lower right window, and forced replacement over opening another window. We did not do that in 4.0 because we thought the new tab system made it less important to prevent new windows. Did we get this wrong?

B) Other than data types, is there some logic we could use to encourage smarter default window assignment, or even to "train" the system? The current implementation groups based on similarity of metadata -- title, author, subjects, description, etc. Should we put a much higher "weight" on datatype? On resource type? When you see something go to the "wrong" tile, can you guess what caused it and / or describe why it should have preferred another one?

Should your previous manual placement of two resources in the same tile be remembered as a "vote" for locating them together in the future?

Posts 25833
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 4:18 AM

Bob Pritchett:
A) The Passage Guide in 3.0 had its own private logic that "forced" commentaries into the lower right window, and forced replacement over opening another window. We did not do that in 4.0 because we thought the new tab system made it less important to prevent new windows. Did we get this wrong?

Somewhat, because I already have much more open resources than L3 and do not wish to add more windows which I will close fairly quickly.

Bob Pritchett:

B) Other than data types, is there some logic we could use to encourage smarter default window assignment, or even to "train" the system? The current implementation groups based on similarity of metadata -- title, author, subjects, description, etc. Should we put a much higher "weight" on datatype? On resource type? When you see something go to the "wrong" tile, can you guess what caused it and / or describe why it should have preferred another one?

Should your previous manual placement of two resources in the same tile be remembered as a "vote" for locating them together in the future?

I follow a pattern of having search tabs in the left pane and wanting associated resources to open in the middle pane, even if the resource is already open in the left (search results) pane. When i open a resource from Library I want it in the opposite pane. When i open via the Command bar I wouldn't mind some intelligence being applied eg. I keep Reverse interlinears in the right pane, normal Interlinears in the left pane, lexicons in the left pane, and dictionaries/commentaries in the right pane because I open guides in the left pane!

If that can be accommodated it is 98% of my needs!

thanks,

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 4:24 AM

bob,

I dont' know is the answer to a lot of your questions....sorry.

I guess for me; replacing data types is the key...commentary replaces commentary, english bible replaces english bible, and so on.

With the option to "open in new tab" not being the default behavior..

just my two cents.

Robert Pavich

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 4:28 AM

Robert Pavich:
I dont' know is the answer to a lot of your questions....sorry.

Here's where I stand...fall....sit.......If you take allowing the user to prefer data types out of the equation, I'm not sure.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 4:37 AM

Bob Pritchett:

I think that a the resource type should be weighted a little more heavily in the logic and the manual placement should be remembered as a vote: system training as it were.

Personally I like the new tab system and don't mind if a few things get opened where I don't want them, moving tabs is easy and waaaaaaay better than the window system in LDLS (especially since nothing gets hidden in the rear). My only complaint is that it seems like new resources get opened in a floating window too much, I would prefer having them open to the main window always, I can then move them to the floating pane if I want.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 4:44 AM

Wait!

Now I'm wondering if I'm confusing "resource associations" with "opening the same reference type in the same window"...

forget my comments...I don't know what's going on now....  Confused

Robert Pavich

Posts 1934
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:15 AM

Jacob Carpenter:
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but you can always preempt the panel choosing behavior by dragging the link to your desired pane (it will open there).

It would be nice as well, unless I have missed it, to be able to start with a blank work space. Then within that blank workspaces have empty boxes depending on your general layout that you chose to start filling up with resources.

Please forgive me in advance if I have missed this in my learning of the software to date! :)

Page 1 of 3 (42 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS