John Wesley Collection

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Dec 24 2011 4:07 PM

Hello

I purchased the John Wesley  collection when I purchased Logos 3 in November 2007. Logos is now offering the "John Wesley Collection" for Logos 4 for an upgrade proice of $155.95. Can someone explain the difference between the product which I have at present and the new product?

I would appreciate some guidance on this.

Thank you.

George Ruddell

Posts 27226
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 10:14 PM

George Ruddell:
I would appreciate some guidance on this.

I can only point you to the description as you give no details of the collection you have (is it published by Logos? who was the co-ordinating editor?).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 79
George Ruddell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 4:12 AM

Hello Dave

Thank you for taking time to reply to my note. Sorry about the lack of detail. The product which I have at present is the John Wesley and Adam Clarke collection (85 volumes). I purchased it in April 2008.

Does this enable you to respond more fully?

I hope that you have a nice Christmas.

God bless.

George

Posts 2173
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 6:49 AM

George,

The collection you have is the old Ages package that was converted to Logos 3.  The new collection is basically the same, except for this difference the works of Wesley are broken up into smaller files, with updated tagging and o forth.  The Adam Clarke part of the old Ages is also being updated as well. Fletcher was already done.  

Also I believe there ate one or two newer files being added.  You the link Dave provided and tou can compare.

Posts 2900
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 6:46 PM

George Ruddell:
purchased the John Wesley  collection when I purchased Logos 3 in November 2007. Logos is now offering the "John Wesley Collection" for Logos 4 for an upgrade proice of $155.95. Can someone explain the difference between the product which I have at present and the new product?

I also bought the collection that you have, George.  That collection contained the Jackson edition of Wesley's Works.  However, the new collection contains some Wesley material not included in the Jackson edition.  This material is in the Journals.  The Jackson edition - the one we both have - does NOT contain all the Journal material.  Sometimes entire years are missing. 

The new Wesley Collection contains material in Wesley's Journal that is NOT included in what you have.  That is the major difference. Logos says that the new collecction "contains the unabridged and authoritative eight-volume journals edited by Nehemiah Curnock. Also included in this massive collection is a three-vwolume, in-depth biography on this extraordinary man of faith."

Other than the parts of Wesley's Journal not included in your Wesley's Works and the three volume biography of Wesley, it will be the same as yours.  That is the difference. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 48
John Besse | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 1:16 AM

The Baker Wesley series (Oxford and Abingdon) is by far the best and most thorough version scholarly version. What are the chances of Logos acquiring permisson for this edition? Cokesbury has digitized this set and has now cut the price.

Posts 2900
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 9:58 AM

John:

The Baker Wesley series (Oxford and Abingdon) is by far the best and most thorough version scholarly version. What are the chances of Logos acquiring permisson for this edition? Cokesbury has digitized this set and has now cut the price.

Isn't this the one with Thomas Oden and other scholars as editors, which is also called the  Bicentennial  edition?  Baker edited Wesley's Letters, Oden edited the sermons, and Heitzenrater edited the Journals.  You are right.  There is no other Wesley set that compares.  I have been urging and begging for this for a long time.  As Abingdon is beginning to publish in Logos, this surely must happen at some point.  Let's contact Abingdon and urge them to make it available in Logos format.

I am a delegate to the UM General Conference.  Maybe I could offer a motion from the floor that Abingdon publish the set in Logos format.  Just kidding, of course, but it would make more sense than most of the resolutions that I am reading.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2853
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 10:14 AM

O dear Micheal; is it worth getting both the Pre-Pub and the Bicentennial edition of Wesley?

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 2900
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 4:55 PM

Ted,

If I knew that Logos was going to produce the Bicentennial edition, I would not get the Pre-Pub.  I believe they will one day because Logos seeks to put out the best resources.  But I don't know when that day might be, and I do not know what the Abingdon people will do.

The bottom line is that I am going to get the Pre-pub now just for the section of the Journal that the Jackson edition is missing.  (It is not missing from the Bicentennial edition, which I believe to be the definitive edition.)  I hope that by showing interest in Wesley, I will encourage the production of the Bicentennial edition.

I have the Bicentennial edition in both book and Abingdon's pitiful electronic edition.  I have even contemplated trying to produce the Sermons and Journal volumes as a Logos Personal Book for my own use, since I own both the books and an electronic format of it.  But that would be quite an undertaking.  The footnotes are extensive.  I think it would almost be a full-time job.  And I suspect Logos would publish it before I could complete it. 

To me it is the vast background knowlege of Thomas Oden and Hietzenrater that make the Bicentennial edition the definitive edition.  You know, Hietzenrater cracked the code on Wesley's secret coded diaries, and he edited the seven volumes of Journals and Diaries.  Everyone knows of Oden who edited the four volumes of Sermons. 

Abingdon has just begun to publish in Logos, making available their flagship products - The New Interpreter's Bible Commentary and the New Interpreter's Dictionary.  That is great, but I am far more interested in the Bicentennial edition of Wesley.

Posts 2853
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 27 2011 8:00 AM

Many thanks Michael. Hopefully I will end up with three editions of Wesley's work. Blessings

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS