Shipping costs?

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 512
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 9 2009 10:15 AM

I have always experienced shipping fees charged by Logos as very high (especially when compared to companies like Amazon, Christian Books and Powells). But really, the latest shipping charges is truly horrendous. On the 27th of March 2009 I ordered the Media-Only DVD from Logos for $4.95 and First Class International Shipping was $3.65. I just ordered the newest Media-Only DVD for L4 for $4.95, but the shipping is a whopping $14.45 (out of the available two options, this was thecheapest option... the other option being $25.50).  What I can't understand is how international shipping could increase almost fourfold, from $3.65 to 14.45 in less than 9 months?

Posts 2738
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:43 AM

I am not from Logos but I can say that when I ship stuff I sell on eBay domestically the shipping costs for companies like UPS have gone up considerably.  You are right about the concern though. That seems drastic. But could be reflection of real expense.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:48 AM

Just be grateful, I ordered the WBC and it cost me $30 to have it posted to Australia! I am sure Logos are just passing on the UPS costs. This is what it would cost me to have books shipped to Aus, perhaps even more.

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:53 AM

MarkStevens:
UPS costs

Why UPS.  Domestic deliveries through the USPS is under $5.00 to any location domestically.

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 12:36 PM

John,

Sarel is not getting this domestically.  note: "International shipping..."  USPS is a lot slower than UPS for overseas shipping.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 1:43 PM

Thomas Black:
"International shipping...

Oops...

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 1:47 PM

That's why I am so excited about the new trend in Logos with downloads. I rather download whole night long then ship something for 25 USD Geeked

Bohuslav

Posts 61
Jason | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 2:06 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

That's why I am so excited about the new trend in Logos with downloads. I rather download whole night long then ship something for 25 USD Geeked

I agree also, but I believe this is out of Logo's hands and anything (if anything) they get on it will be very minimal (non-existant). I just downloaded the Platinum upgrade and considered getting the disk but the $15USD or $25USD cost is not worth it for me (although the covers look really cool :))

I think the higher shipping rates reflect the impact the internet has on shipping companies and sometimes the volumes of packages are not there for it to be cost effective for them but it is still something that we need to move physical goods.

I bought the WBC on Logos's special and it cost quite a lot for one DVD to be shipped.  In saying that downloads can be useful, that way I have less packing to clutter up my house and save the environment in the process (excluding the cost of the power and the amount to genreate it and the costs associated to getting it to run my computer....Tongue Tied Stick out tongue Devil )

Jason

How to ask for help for Logos issues.

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 2:37 PM

I shipped a package inside the US recently and the cheapest I could get from the USPS was around $8.

Prices are very high for shipping recently here in the US.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 512
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:14 PM

That's why I am so excited about the new trend in Logos with downloads. I rather download whole night long then ship something for 25 USD

In SA we pay I pay per MB when downloading. It will cost me way more to download. 2Gb of data $48 here. So downloading is not an option.

What I do not understand is that quite recently I ordered books via Christian Books. It was the 5 volume Pictorial Encyclopedia of the Bible from Zondervan. The shipping was $25. That is why $14 or $25 for a dvd seem so steep to me. I regularly order products, especially books, from overseas, and Logos has the highest shipping costs by far, especially when considering I usually only receive a DVD in a envelope.

I am just wondering.

Posts 18
David Wallace | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:14 AM

One factor is that Christian Books,  Amazon, et al, are able to get great bulk discounts from publishers and absorb a portion of the shipping cost - and then use that lower shipping as a sweetner to get your business. Amazon does not even house many of its own books and can use its enormous purchasing power to get very low or no handling charges added - again passing this saving to the customer as an enticement to use them.

Logos, as the wholesaler, doesn't have that option and gets to pass the true shipping cost on the purchaser, as well as the handling costs of paying people to package and ship. This drives the shipping cost up. Even Amazon requires you to purchase $25 or more to qualify for free-shipping - probably the inhouse determined "magic number" where they can absorb cost and still make enough profit to make it worthwhile.

Posts 512
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:25 AM

It could make sense. But I do not think that Ebay sellers have the same "buying power". I have ordered some things from Ebay and shipping and handling is still lower. But it appears as if I am the only one who feels this way, so perhaps I am misguided in my complaint Smile. Thanks to all who replied. I just wished that Logos themselves answered my query too.

Posts 37
Nelson R. Pardee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 8 2011 1:28 PM

Costs seem high. Training manual is almost $12 domestically, and I didn't want it that badly. And volume shippers get huge discounts from the major shipping companies compared to what you and I can get.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 3:00 AM

David Wallace:
Even Amazon requires you to purchase $25 or more to qualify for free-shipping - probably the inhouse determined "magic number" where they can absorb cost and still make enough profit to make it worthwhile.

amazon UK gives you free shipping on everything you get from them and some, not all, of the firms who provide their stuff!

Posts 18826
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 3:55 AM

nicky crane:
amazon UK gives you free shipping on everything you get from them and some

Not if you live in Canada. Smile

But I am still very pleased with amazon UK. I pre-ordered the 2-volume Encyclopedia of Christian Literature from them because they were selling it hot off the press for £1. Must have been a typo, but they honored that price I'd locked in, even though they'd upped it to something much closer to its retail price of £115.00 by the time it shipped. That's the best prepub deal I've ever gotten from anyone! However the shipping charge was £6.98. Not free, but certainly very fair under the circumstances. Smile

Incidentally, I've been hoping that Logos would publish this encyclopedia. Go put a thumbs up on this thread if you're interested.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 4:34 AM

Incidentally I mailed Santiago at sales about a shipping cost that I considered daylight robbery (didn't put it that way) that would have decided me not to order the resource, and he gave me a shipping price that was a fraction of the price stated.  Eventually in fact he was able to give me a download.  I've enquired about the Camp Logos shipping, but only mailed yesterday so have not yet received a reply.  I guess many of us would prefer to have the DVDs later and cheaper.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 9 2011 7:29 AM

I buy a fair amount of Logos books, but in today's market, I have shop around or stop buying books period, but I just bought a book that was on sale for 40.00 at Logos,it was offered for 20.00 at another outlet, that was clear across the country from me. 

Before I bought it I asked Logos if they could lower their price and they said they could not.  Logos was a download only, but this was a DVD plus I had to pay for shipping clear across the US.  Florida to Oregon. The total price for everything delivered ended up 22.95!!! 

Not bad savings on a book that has a normal Logos price of 50.00. It was shipped regular mail not parcel post. How does that make the Logos shipping charges look? You decide.

I buy a lot of things from this other company and Logos still makes a cut off of it and I have still spent nearly 3000.00 with Logos directly. I still spent over 100.00 that same day with Logos, sure I would have liked to get everything from Logos but if they can't meet a price I will buy where I need to.

In Christ,

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS