Netbook

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 5
Michael Packer | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 25 2011 8:33 PM

Merry Christmas everyone!

I am not much of a computer person at all. I looked at the numbers and and even looked at some past threads. I am just wondering if the following machine would run Logos 4 well?

Asus Eee PC 1015PE Netbook with Intel Atom N450 Processor and 10.1" Here is the link:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00384024000P?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&cName=Laptops&keyword=netbooks&filter=storeOrigin%7CSears

Basically I am on a limited budget (under $300), if not this one would there be a netbook out there worthwhile?

Thank you so much for your help!!!

In Christ,

Mike

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 9:05 PM

I have Logos 4 on an Asus Eee PC 1000HD with 1gig ram and XP Home. It's not as fast as the much more powerful laptop of course. I have not run it that much, but will be taking it to church next year instead of the 17.3 laptop. I just can't carry the big one anymore. I'm off to bed now, but I'll fire it up tomorrow to do some reading and searching to test it out. I'll report back

Posts 25191
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 10:10 PM

Michael Packer:
I am not much of a computer person at all. I looked at the numbers and and even looked at some past threads. I am just wondering if the following machine would run Logos 4 well?

Welcome Michael,

I think you have to accept it will not run it "well". Initial indexing and downloading will take a long time, so do you have another computer with Logos 4 running well or will the Netbook be your only computer?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 5
Michael Packer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 10:19 PM

Thanks Robert, I look forward to hearing our test results.

Posts 5
Michael Packer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 10:23 PM

Dave,

I do have a computer that it runs well on, my desktop at the office. Primarily I am just looking for portability. And to be honest, most of the items that I would be doing could be done through online logos features, however, if it could run the full version of Logos 4 that would be fantastic! 

Posts 25191
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 11:13 PM

Michael Packer:

I do have a computer that it runs well on, my desktop at the office.

Then you can use that to help install L4 on the Netbook - see Method 2 at http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers

as that will take an hour or two vs. 10 hrs+

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 2:40 AM

Michael Packer:
I do have a computer that it runs well on, my desktop at the office. Primarily I am just looking for portability.

If have network connectivity with adequate bandwidth, option for netbook is remote desktop control of office computer.

If budget allowed a more expensive purchase, could consider a MacBook Air with 4 GB RAM and Solid State Disk (SSD).  The July 2011 models have 2nd generation Core i5 and i7 processors so Logos 4 is quite usable.  Also, Apple offers refurbished => http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air with same warranty as new.

Note: Intel funded $ 300 million for PC ultrabook competition start up costs and may need to help subsidize competitors.  Current ultrabook models that cost less than Apple MacBook Air models tend to have less hardware (e.g. less powerful i3 CPU).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 7:04 AM

Michael Packer:

Thanks Robert, I look forward to hearing our test results.

Well, I did my Bible reading this morning on the Eee machine. It is a Celeron 900. The small screen makes a difference with Logos. I didn't think until now I should have closed other windows in Logos and had the one I was reading full screen. Page downs hung a little too often. Logos4 works, but it's slow and the small screen makes it less than optiminal. It does take a lot longer to download and index but that's no bother because I just let the computer sit in the corner and let it work until it is done.

I take the Eee to the monthly Saturday morning men's breakfast/study at church and will be taking it on Sunday in the future because of the weight. I have 4 other bible programs including 2 free one's and I find them better (a lot faster) when going back and forth between books, OT/NT ect than Logos even on a fast computer. I tend to use Logos at home and other programs at church. Logos will work, but I think you will be a little disapointed.

Posts 129
Tom Blanchard | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 8:29 AM

Hi, Michael

If you can get the Macbook Air, it would be great. I've been running L4 on an Acer 1410 11.6" netbook, with 3GB and 320 hard drive, for two years. Very fast and convenient; it's the one I take everywhere with me. That model is no longer available, but Acer is now selling their 11.6" Aspire One 722, which I have been tempted to pick up. You can usually find a 2GB/320GB model for a little over $300, but if you shop around, there is one model with 4GB/500GB, and you can usually get it for under $400. That should be more than adequate for anything you need.

Tom

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 8:43 AM

I have Logos running on a few Asus eeepc netbooks.  As expected, it runs slowly--but it runs.  I would recommend staying away from the exegetical guide and keeping as few windows open as possible.

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Posts 10445
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 10:37 AM

Up till a few weeks back I ran on a netbook with an Atom 450 and just 2g of memory. Sure it was slow (and I continue to question Logos inability to write software that doesn't become the crux of the Bible study problem). But that said, I used it for 2 years on L4 and it did quite well. I don't bother with exegetical or passage guides, but I use the BWS guide a lot and had no trouble.

Don't know about the wisdom on resources being open/closed for speed. I always kept 40-50 resources open and they tracked fine (resource opening is slow). I don't do notes in L4; even my new whiz-kid can't do 'Logos notes'. I can't believe they've found a way to make them even slower. That took some late-night work. 'Highlighting!! That's it!!'

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 10:43 AM

I have had 2 ASUS netbooks and logos ran on both, but it was slow, but very nice for hauling around. I also have theWord program on my netbook with over 3500 resources, it runs very nice on a netbook. Much faster and many features too!  You can get it for free and it does a good job of  filling in for Logos.

YBIC,

Jim

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 10:43 AM

I have had 2 ASUS netbooks and logos ran on both, but it was slow, but very nice for hauling around. I also have theWord program on my netbook with over 3500 resources, it runs very nice on a netbook. Much faster and many features too!  You can get it for free and it does a good job of  filling in for Logos.

YBIC,

Jim

Posts 442
Tony Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 26 2011 5:09 PM

I just ordered a 2GB module for my Asus eeepc 1005HA.  I am going to see if the extra gig of memory speeds things up....

Director of Zoeproject 

www.zoeproject.com

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS