4.3 Service Release 8 (v4.30.0.1624) available

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4264
LogosEmployee
Kevin Byford (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 28 2011 10:27 AM

4.3 Service Release 8 (v4.30.0.1624) is available for download.

If you have automatic updates turned on, 4.3 SR-8 will be downloaded automatically the next time your system checks for updates. To install it right away, enter the Update Now command. If you encounter problems with the auto update, download 4.3 SR-8 from this link.

Release Notes 

Posts 49
Michael Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 5:14 PM

Every time I run Logos 4, it tells me it is downloading 44.1mgs of update (which I presume is SR 8), but then nothing happens. When I restart Logos, away it goes downloading the 44.1mg yet again. According to the "about" in help, I still have SR 7. I have tried downloading SR 8 from your link, but when I run it it tells me I have a newer version already installed, and aborts, leaving me still with SR 7!

I had the same problem with SR 6 to SR 7. I solved that by uninstalling and reinstalling Logos. The trouble with that is, it went ahead and redownloaded all my resources. I really don't want to waste time and bandwidth doing that again. Is there a simpler solution?

Thanks in anticipation....

Michael

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:20 PM

Michael Robinson:
Every time I run Logos 4, it tells me it is downloading 44.1mgs of update (which I presume is SR 8), but then nothing happens.

It would be useful to know what is happening as a reinstall looks like a temporary reprieve. I'd like you to start permanent logging, then run L4 to start the download again and upload the logs when any processing has completed; especially logos4indexer.log and any install/setup logs (please read the wiki carefully).

Michael Robinson:
Is there a simpler solution?

If all else fails a reinstall using Method 2 would be quicker --> http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers
(you need to backup before uninstalling).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 49
Michael Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 3:53 AM

Hi Dave

Thanks for your help. Here are my log files. I notice that according to the Logos4Indexer.log something failed. If you can work it out that would be terrific!

2211.Michael's L4 Logs.zip

Posts 138
Deon Holtzhausen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 3:58 AM

Hi there.

I have exactly the same problem as Michael, since the last 2 updates. Someone sent me the link for the msi-file to download and install for the previous update, something that worked 100%. Does anyone here have the link to the logos4.msi file for this update?

Regards,

Deon

Johannesburg, South Africa

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 4:14 AM

Michael Robinson:
Thanks for your help. Here are my log files. I notice that according to the Logos4Indexer.log something failed. If you can work it out that would be terrific!

The log is reporting that the logos4.msi is corrupt (that's what the MD5 errors mean). The two most obvious causes are download corruption or disk corruption. Clearing your internet explorer cache is the first thing to do to check the former, running a thorough diskcheck is the first thing to do to check the latter (though this will take a long time, so try the download again after emptying your cache).

Posts 138
Deon Holtzhausen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 4:17 AM

Mark Barnes:

Clearing your internet explorer cache is the first thing to do to check the former, running a thorough diskcheck is the first thing to do to check the latter (though this will take a long time, so try the download again after emptying your cache).

Hi Mark. I work with FireFox. Should I try to downoad with IE?

Deon

Posts 138
Deon Holtzhausen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 4:31 AM

4338.Logos Log Files.zip

Hi all. I have also attached my log files for your interpretation.

Regards,
Deon

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 4:59 AM

Deon Holtzhausen:

Interesting. You have exactly the same error as Michael, and the file is 'corrupted' in exactly the same way. That can't happen by chance. So either:

1. The file is not corrupted, but Logos have made an error in the corruption-checking hash.
  2. The file is corrupted on Logos servers (and still is), so re-downloading it won't help (in which case no-one could install).
  3. The file was once corrupted on Logos servers, but is now fixed, so re-downloading will fix it.

The advice is therefore the same as before, clear out your Internet Explorer cache and attempt to re-download (don't both with the disk scan, though, disk corruption is ruled out now).

The browser you use to download the installer won't make any difference. After you've downloaded the installer, it then downloads the files it needs itself, and when it does so it uses the same cache that Internet Explorer uses. Therefore cleaning out your IE cache should solve the problem if cause (3) above is the issue. If it's not cause (3), we can't fix it, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else has successfully installed this version (I'm on the beta, so can't).

Posts 49
Michael Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 5:17 AM

Haha... Didn't see your last post in time. So, while waiting for chkdsk to complete, I just watched the Sydney fireworks. Yes, it is now 2012 down under, so happy new year from the Sydney Australia logos fan club!

Posts 138
Deon Holtzhausen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 5:26 AM

Michael Robinson:

Yes, it is now 2012 down under, so happy new year from the Sydney Australia logos fan club!

Happy New Year. In South Africa we are just under 9 hours away from 2012.

Deon

Posts 138
Deon Holtzhausen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 5:32 AM

Mark Barnes:

Deon Holtzhausen:

Interesting. You have exactly the same error as Michael, and the file is 'corrupted' in exactly the same way. That can't happen by chance. So either:

1. The file is corrupted on Logos servers (and still is), so re-downloading it won't help (in which case no-one could install).

The advice is therefore the same as before, clear out your Internet Explorer cache and attempt to re-download (don't both with the disk scan, though, disk corruption is ruled out now).

Mark, thank you for your reply. I have cleared the cache in IE and re-downloaded it. I ran the file and when Logos started the installation, a message was displayed telling me that a newer version of Logos 4 is already installed. But, when going to Help & About, it states that Logos 4.3 SR-6 (4.30.0.1613) is installed.

I will wait for other suggestions as well. Maybe the file is corrupt? Thank you once again for your time & help.

Deon

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 9:59 AM

You could try and download the .msi file directly from here: http://downloads.logos.com/LBS4/Installer/4.30.0.1624/Logos4.msi

Open that file, and see if that will let you install Logos. Even if it works, you may still get the message when you start Logos, but if it does install and Logos will open, check the version number in Help/About again.

Posts 138
Deon Holtzhausen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 10:12 AM

Thank you Mark. I downloaded and tried to install. Again get a message that a newer version is installed. I think I am going to do a backup as per wiki and then do a clean installation.

Thank you once again.

Deon

Posts 1
Betsie Storm | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 11:14 AM

I have a similar problem to Deon, with some twists. I run Logos on both a desktop & laptop (Win XP SP 3). I could not update automatically on either. On the desktop the manual installation via the downloader worked. A few days later I did the same on the laptop, no success- the install starts but only the options to "repair" or "remove" Logos are available. Repair does not install the new update. Ditto for the direct download of the .msi file.

I'll wait a while to see if another fix becomes available. I had this problem a few times before with updates, once I re-installed but mostly the next update fixed it.

Regards

Betsie.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 1:20 PM

Deon Holtzhausen:
I think I am going to do a backup as per wiki and then do a clean installation.

In the circumstances, I think that's for the best.

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 1:21 PM

Betsie Storm:
I'll wait a while to see if another fix becomes available. I had this problem a few times before with updates, once I re-installed but mostly the next update fixed it.

It's odd that you're both getting exactly the same error. Hopefully when the techs come in after the holiday we can get it sorted.

Posts 49
Michael Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 4:05 PM

Hi Mark, Deon and Betsie,

I tried emptying the cache, downloading and running logos4.msi - still no joy. Only the setup warning notice, "a newer version of Logos Bible software 4 is already on your computer."

So I'm going to try a reinstall using method 2.

I look forward to what the boffins make of all this!

Cheers

Michael

Posts 49
Michael Robinson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 4:12 PM

Hi Mark, Deon and Betsie,

I tried emptying the cache and running a fresh version of logos4.msi from the site, but no joy. I just got the installer warnng message that a newer version of Logos Bible software 4 is already installed.

So now I'll try the Method 2 reinstallation.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the boffins make of all this!

Cheers

Michael 

PS Thanks heaps, Mark, for giving some time and attention to this.

Posts 25825
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 7:25 PM

Mark Barnes:

Deon Holtzhausen:
I think I am going to do a backup as per wiki and then do a clean installation.

In the circumstances, I think that's for the best.

Yup!

I did a little detective work for Logos and found the following:-

• the logos4.msi is bitwise the same whether loaded direct from the http: location or via logos4
  • the expected MD5 hash from the failed downloads is correct as it matches that from the SR-8 msi I downloaded and installed successfully this morning via Logos4.

When downloaded via Logos4 the logos4.msi goes direct to a numbered location like \Logos4\Data\userid\UpdateManager\Installers\536. When downloaded via web link (Setup.exe) the msi is most likely downloaded via the Internet cache and there is no MD5 check. Either way, the msi is copied to \Logos4\Install\Installers\ and installed from there. This explains why the latter method can download OK except for the messages preventing the installation.

If anybody has not reinstalled it may be worthwhile trying this:-

• delete everything in the folder \Logos4\Data\userid\UpdateManager\Installers\
  • restart L4
  • if that fails then use Method 2 in my first post to reinstall

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS