Latin Learning Textbook

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2980
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:46 AM

Just like we have textbooks/intros to Greek & Hebrew, it would be nice to be able to have a self-study course in Latin. Especially now that the ability to fill-in workbooks is coming out, I would find this useful. I've had a desire to learn latin but don't really want to take a course, but would do self-study at my own pace and would love to use Logos to do it (especially with the OLD being published soon).

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 30
Eric Fary | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:52 AM

I 100% agree.  I got some books for Elccesiastical Primer and Textbook (hardcover), but with all the Latin texts for Logos, it would be necessary for bottom up Latin learning.  I would buy it.  !!!

Posts 31859
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 11:59 AM

Could be useful, yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 297
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 12:10 PM

Not the best, but there is: "An Introduction to Ecclesiastical Latin."

http://www.logos.com/ebooks/details/INTROECCLAT

This old Classics student has long wished for more Latin support.  The usefullness of the "Oxford Latin Dictionary" is greatly limited by a lack of any work with Latin morphological tagging.

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 6:17 PM

Yes, I second that!!!  I would be most grateful if Logos could work on the following resources:

1. Tagged Clementine Vulgate

2. Nova Vulgata

3. Tagged Nova Vulgata

Posts 20
Gilles Despins | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2012 1:19 PM

YES! Please, please, Logos, give us a morphologically tagged Vulgate!!!

Posts 19176
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2012 1:55 PM

The Oxford Latin Dictionary was pulled from pre-pub last year. I wonder what is up with that, whether it will ever come back again. Here's the thread where this was discussed: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/33285.aspx.

Anyone know of a specific good Latin Learning Textbook we should be requesting? I have Teach Yourself Latin by Gavin Betts in print, but not knowing Latin at all I don't know if it's a good approach. A well known one is Wheelock's Latin, which I sometimes see on the shelves of the Regent College Bookstore. Here's one that is highly rated on Amazon.com: Getting Started with Latin: Beginning Latin for Homeschoolers and Self-Taught Students of Any Age by William E. Linney. Both of these latter two are available in Kindle so should be doable by Logos. Are there any others people have heard recommended?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 20 2012 2:22 PM

Rosie Perera:

The Oxford Latin Dictionary was pulled from pre-pub last year. I wonder what is up with that, whether it will ever come back again. Here's the thread where this was discussed: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/33285.aspx.

Anyone know of a specific good Latin Learning Textbook we should be requesting? I have Teach Yourself Latin by Gavin Betts in print, but not knowing Latin at all I don't know if it's a good approach. A well known one is Wheelock's Latin, which I sometimes see on the shelves of the Regent College Bookstore. Here's one that is highly rated on Amazon.com: Getting Started with Latin: Beginning Latin for Homeschoolers and Self-Taught Students of Any Age by William E. Linney. Both of these latter two are available in Kindle so should be doable by Logos. Are there any others people have heard recommended?

Wheelock's Latin Grammar is more or less the classic.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS