Logos 4 performance

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 29 2011 5:15 AM

Need you're expert opinion on Logos 4 performace. I used Logos on a 1.66 GHZ Centrino Core2Duo with 4GB of DDR2 Ram and a 900 MHZ video with a 260 GB 5200 RPM hard drive and it ran fairly well.

My wife, for Christmas, purchased a new laptop for me. It is a Dell 2.4 GHZ Core i5 with turbo up to 3 GHZ, 8 GB of DDR3 Dual channel Ram and a 1.66 Ghz HD video and a 640 GB 5200 RPM hard drive. My question is, it seems to run fine (I am running SR 7), but does not, in some points, seem to run any faster than it did on the old sysyem. Although some things are snapper (like instead of the panels on my work space showing up one by one, they all show up at the same time now).  Now, in my opinion, I took a big leap in power and perhaps I am expecting too much. What is the opinion here? Thanks!

Pastor Michael Huffman, Th.A Th.B Th.M

Posts 1627
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 6:03 AM

Hi Michael

There are some things that will slow Logos 4 down, regardless of your actual hardware. If you haven't already done so, you might want to check out the wiki:
http://wiki.logos.com/Speeding_up_Logos_4_responses

The faster processor should help. The hdd is possibly a bottleneck. If you don't mind fiddling with hardware, you might want to try one of the 2nd generation Seagate Momentus hybrid drives (7200 rpm, with NAND cache).

HTH

Posts 24700
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 29 2011 2:24 PM

Michael Huffman:
I took a big leap in power

I'm not sure it is a big leap. I went from a 2.0 GHz core2 Duo to i5 2.53 GHz, ostensibly double the performance. Search speeds were certainly faster when I looked at the numbers from the Search results. The video improvement was very noticeable as you describe and lag times (switching tabs) were better. Indexing speed was the biggest improvement (rebuild index), as that is mainly CPU.

But you could compare your machine to mine at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24555/207725.aspx#207725 if you run the Novabench program.  My previous laptop's score is at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/24555/184869.aspx#184869

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 5:43 AM

Dave Hooton:
I'm not sure it is a big leap

Thanks for the info, Dave. Yet I think that going from a Core2Duo with 4GB  DDR2 of Ram and a 900 Mhz video to a i5 3 Ghz with 8GB of DDR3 Ram and a 1.66 Ghz HD video is quite a leap in power.

Posts 634
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 5:43 AM

Dave Hooton:
I'm not sure it is a big leap

Thanks for the info, Dave. Yet I think that going from a Core2Duo with 4GB  DDR2 of Ram and a 900 Mhz video to a i5 3 Ghz with 8GB of DDR3 Ram and a 1.66 Ghz HD video is quite a leap in power.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 11:24 AM

Michael, you need to understand that different components are responsible for different things. Namely, there are 3 major functions: data access (reading content of your resources from your Hard Drive), display of resources (video card is responsible for that) and number crunching (your processor is responsible for indexing and searching for information).

Now, you doubled your RAM - so basically you doubled Logos' ability to juggle content "in its head" instead of having to "write id down".  This is very good. But your Hard Drive speed stayed the same, so "reading" it for the first time, or writing your notes, etc will be at the same speed as before.  Opening your program will also take about the same time. Now, updated  video card did help A LOT. Believe it or not, but Logos4 is a graphics-intensive application. However, your bottleneck seems to be the hard drive.  Even if you quadruple both your RAM and Processor speed, you would not see much improvement, because you hard drive is still spinning at 5200RPM. 

Take a look at the HD referenced above, although due to the flooding in Taiwan and resulting price hikes on magnetic Hard drives, I wonder if going with a Solid State Drive would be a better idea.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 2:35 PM

Michael Huffman:

Need you're expert opinion on Logos 4 performace. I used Logos on a 1.66 GHZ Centrino Core2Duo with 4GB of DDR2 Ram and a 900 MHZ video with a 260 GB 5200 RPM hard drive and it ran fairly well.

My wife, for Christmas, purchased a new laptop for me. It is a Dell 2.4 GHZ Core i5 with turbo up to 3 GHZ, 8 GB of DDR3 Dual channel Ram and a 1.66 Ghz HD video and a 640 GB 5200 RPM hard drive.

Wondering about hard drive speed (or model) ?  Looking at laptop hard drives at Newegg.com, the 5200 RPM models have 750 GB or 1 TB of storage.  The 5400 RPM speed has the most models, followed by 7200 RPM.

If laptop has a 5400 RPM drive, upgrading to 7200 RPM should be noticeably faster in many applications, including Logos 4.  Solid State Disk (SSD) is faster; speed improvement varies from a little to a lot, depending on SSD model.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 6:15 PM

I love the solid state drive in my laptop that I use for Logos.

Posts 10034
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 6:55 PM

I just got a new pc a couple of weeks back. The ms video score was pretty low. Then 2 days ago intel updated the driver and now it's my best performer on the ms score.

So might make sure the video  driver is the lastest.

I also dumped my ram. Instead of the recommended low latency specs, I got the higher bulk transfer bias thinking Bob is doing a lot of in-memory paging.

And looking at the 'novacain' scores, the ram speeds really went up A LOT:

12/30/2011 7:34:27 PM
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
Intel Core i72620M 2.70GHz @ 2701 MHz
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

8076 MB System RAM (Score: 201)
- RAM Speed: 13290 MB/s 

Posts 38
Douglas Stolberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:45 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

If laptop has a 5400 RPM drive, upgrading to 7200 RPM should be noticeably faster in many applications, including Logos 4.  Solid State Disk (SSD) is faster; speed improvement varies from a little to a lot, depending on SSD model.

I did upgrade my 5400rpm HDD to a 7200 rpm on my older Dell laptop and noticed a significant increase in speed in Logos, however, the 7200 rpm sucks a lot of power compared to the 5400rpm drive. I like the faster response but the battery life is cut in about half.

Posts 167
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 7:30 AM

Here my issue when logos is open and using other software as tweekdeck or chrome to do other things I seem to lock up for 10 sec or more then fine. When Logos is nor running no issues.

I thought this was a Windows 7 issues so I re-installed every thing format the works. I have no issues then today I just hhappen to have Logos open when my Laptop froze for about 30 secs.

So it has to be Logos from since I don't have issues with freezing etc with it not running. Any ideas?

Posts 24700
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 2 2012 12:11 PM

Randall Lind:
So it has to be Logos from since I don't have issues with freezing etc with it not running. Any ideas?

Tell us about your computer and upload some logs as per http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging (please read carefully and upload logos4.log).

What background tasks are running e.g virus checker, security suite. You might try blocking them from accessing the \logos4 folder.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS