REQUEST: Make middle mouse button autoscrolling work in L4

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8644
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 9 2009 12:50 PM

In my web browser as well as in most other programs on my system I can click my mouse wheel and get a continuous scrolling icon which will enable me then to set my mouse cursor just below it to make the page autoscroll.  This is a boon for reading. 

I wish Logos 4 would do this so that I can open reading view, set the autoscroll and just lean back and imbibe the text.

Next best thing to that Matrix style download port in the back of my head.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 612
John Brumett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 1:01 PM

I have the very same problem.  I have a logitech mouse and loved to auto scroll to read the text.  I would enlarge it to 300% and let the auto scroll do it thing while I set back in my recliner.  The auto scroll works on all other windows applications but not in Logos 4.    

Posts 60
Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 1:04 PM

Thomas Black:

I wish Logos 4 would do this so that I can open reading view, set the autoscroll and just lean back and imbibe the text.

I second that! My index finger is getting tired jabbing at the wheel trying to set it to do the continuous scrolling. Hopefully, this would be an easy fix.

Posts 8716
LogosEmployee

Autoscroll is already implemented (in internal builds) for resources; it should be in 4.0a.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 2:01 PM

Bradley Grainger:

Autoscroll is already implemented (in internal builds) for resources; it should be in 4.0a.

And 4.0a will be shipped when.....?

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 2:07 PM

Bradley Grainger:

Hey, Bradley, I like you. You have always some good news for us. Will we be able to scroll also on the touch pads on the notebooks? (I mean, just a regular scrolling, not that fancy one Thomas is talking about).

Bohuslav

Posts 8716
LogosEmployee

Damian McGrath:

And 4.0a will be shipped when.....?

... it's ready. Smile

A beta test of 4.0a will begin "soon" (probably before the end of the month). 

Posts 8716
LogosEmployee

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Will we be able to scroll also on the touch pads on the notebooks?

I don't think anyone has looked into that yet, but we do have a notebook with a (non-functional in Logos 4) touchpad here, so we have the environment to reproduce the problem and test a fix.

Posts 43
Steve Burrow | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:44 PM

Thomas and others,

When you are scrolling pages in L4, is it smooth like in a web browser?  For me, scrolling in L4 is a jerky, ratchetity affair, with slight lags.  It's the one thing that is getting under my skin about L4 and I want to determine if it is my setup or the program.

As a point of reference my computer specs are:  Intel Core 2 6300 @ 1.86GHz, 4G ram, GeForce 8800GTS, 525GB partition (on a 1.2TB 10 RAID), running on a new install of Vista 32 with updated drivers. (CPU and GPU not bleeding edge, but not slouches either).  I also run it off a laptop with similar specs with similar results, so I need outside reference points.

Thanks

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 9:47 PM

Bradley Grainger:
... it's ready.

Then, so am I...

... Are you ready for me?????

Posts 8644
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:00 AM

StephenBurrow:
When you are scrolling pages in L4, is it smooth like in a web browser?  For me, scrolling in L4 is a jerky, ratchetity affair, with slight lags.  It's the one thing that is getting under my skin about L4 and I want to determine if it is my setup or the program.
Scrolling by rolling the wheel mouse is not smooth.  This is because the computer interprets each "click" on the wheel as a certain number of lines.  Mine is set for 7 lines per click.

I don't believe it's just your setup.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:02 AM

Thomas Black:

StephenBurrow:
Scrolling by rolling the wheel mouse is not smooth.  This is because the computer interprets each "click" on the wheel as a certain number of lines.  Mine is set for 7 lines per click.

I don't believe it's just your setup.

I can certainly agree that on my setup L4 scrolling is not as smooth as my browser scrolling, regardless of what my mouse setting is set to. I noticed that having the information or power lookup window open makes it worse.

Posts 43
Steve Burrow | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I can put off my Motherboard /CPU/Memory/GPUupgrades until my bank account recovers from my Portfolio upgrade. Smile (The bang for the buck was too much to resist) .  That, and set aside some pre-pubs that I don't really need. Sad

And yes, if the Information window is open (or other windows are linked, or sympathetic highlighting is on), it is even less smooth, pausing as the links are refreshed. 

Is there an official suggestion channel to request improvements in this area, or is the forum (and this thread) the only way?  Yes there are features that would be nice, but to me this is part of core functionality and should be a priority.

Posts 8644
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:00 AM

StephenBurrow:
Is there an official suggestion channel to request improvements in this area, or is the forum (and this thread) the only way?  Yes there are features that would be nice, but to me this is part of core functionality and should be a priority.

You can email suggest@logos.com or post in these forums.  Both are read by the Logos folks.  If you haven't seen it, even the CEO makes regular appearances here.

Try to keep each request in it's own thread, and make your title specific like you did with this one.  This was a great title.

Now It's probably only a matter of minutes before Philip posts here and this particular thread devolves into a smackdown.  Oh, that's right, Philips on withdrawal from the forums, it might take 5 minutes.

Or not.

Posts 8716
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 11:21 AM

Bradley Grainger:

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Will we be able to scroll also on the touch pads on the notebooks?

I don't think anyone has looked into that yet, but we do have a notebook with a (non-functional in Logos 4) touchpad here, so we have the environment to reproduce the problem and test a fix.

Non-scrolling with touchpads is actually due to a WPF bug (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=453632&wa=wsignin1.0) that we can't fix. It may be fixed in .NET 4.0 (expected to be released in March 2010); if so, an upgraded version of Logos 4 (that runs on .NET 4.0) would be able to deliver that fix to you.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:15 PM

Bradley Grainger:
Non-scrolling with touchpads is actually due to a WPF bug (https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=453632&wa=wsignin1.0) that we can't fix. It may be fixed in .NET 4.0 (expected to be released in March 2010); if so, an upgraded version of Logos 4 (that runs on .NET 4.0) would be able to deliver that fix to you.

Thanks Bradley. How I said it, you always have some good news for us? well, not this time. Sad I use the touch-pad all the time. I don't understand guys who has to carry a mouse with the notebook. Hmm... It looks I will have to change my attitude.

Bohuslav

Posts 8644
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:43 PM

Bohuslav,

I wonder if your touchpad driver can be set so that the top right corner (for example) triggers the middle click which will work in the upcoming incarnation. 

It depends on your drivers, but some of the Synaptics drivers have lots of customization available.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 1:21 PM

Thomas Black:

Bohuslav,

I wonder if your touchpad driver can be set so that the top right corner (for example) triggers the middle click which will work in the upcoming incarnation. 

It depends on your drivers, but some of the Synaptics drivers have lots of customization available.

I played with it few times with no results. I am skeptical on that, however I will try to google more on the issue. Thanks anyway.

Bohuslav

Posts 260
Pastor Dan Cleghorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 7:48 AM

Thanks Bradley.

My touchpad works in every other program I own. Is this just unique to a bug in L4 or some flaw in how L4 is designed. If it is a bug in WPF, why doesn't it effect other programs? Just wondering.

Posts 8716
LogosEmployee

DanCleghorn:

My touchpad works in every other program I own. Is this just unique to a bug in L4 or some flaw in how L4 is designed. If it is a bug in WPF, why doesn't it effect other programs? Just wondering.

It's unique to Logos 4 because that is probably the only program on your system that uses Microsoft's new WPF framework for its user interface. (Although Microsoft has been pushing WPF as the "new and improved" way to write Windows programs for about four years now, we've seen very slow uptake of it by other software companies--probably because, like us, they'd need to rewrite almost from the ground up to take full advantage of it. Even Microsoft has yet to release a major application that uses WPF; Visual Studio 2010 (coming in March next year) is the only one I can think of.)

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS