baptism

Page 5 of 7 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next >
This post has 130 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 29345
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 12:31 PM

Brad Fry:

Getting wet paint on your hands is also unnecessary and unproductive. But when the sign says, "Wet Paint...Do Not Touch", well...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29345
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 12:35 PM

Brad Fry:
But the answer to the original question could have been answered or at least addressed by doing one's own research by searching one's library or the internet.

I could be wrong but I've generally assumed this sort of thing gets asked because the OP doesn't know the terms or tact to take - they've tried and failed on their own. Well, sometimes it does seem like a panicked student who waited to the last minute but that's less common.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 67
Kilroy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 12:50 PM

Yes

Kilroy Was Here.

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 2:50 PM

MJ. Smith:
Had everyone stuck to what the OP requested, the thread would have provided useful information to everyone.

But wisdom tells you that isnt what will happen.

Posts 1938
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 6:04 PM

MJ. Smith:

If you do a search on "infant baptism" it should appear in the topics section. I'm dashing out to take Mother to an appointment but can provide the URL when I return.

Do you mean, do a search on the wiki? If so, I only get 1 hit; and I don't know what the "topics section" is or where to find it.

Donnie

Posts 29345
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 6:29 PM

http://topics.logos.com/Infant_Baptism

or do a basic search in Logos

Posts 1938
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 7:07 PM

MJ. Smith:

http://topics.logos.com/Infant_Baptism

or do a basic search in Logos

Had no idea about "topics.logos.com" or that via the site Logos users could influence what shows up in Logos searches.

Thanks,

Donnie

Posts 25823
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 10:00 PM

Donnie Hale:
Had no idea about "topics.logos.com" or that via the site Logos users could influence what shows up in Logos searches.

Entries can be contributed by users (Martha can say more on that) but the Topic section appears only for "All Text" in Entire Library on certain topics (single word or phrase, but NOT for multiple terms like "infant baptism" NEAR century).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 67
Kilroy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 3 2012 10:08 PM

Yes

Kilroy Was Here.

Posts 587
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 8:03 AM

I hesitate to write this post because tone and inflection cannot be determined. I assure you that I am writing this with gentleness and humility.

My motives for the original post have been called into question. It was written with no ulterior motives. I was simply seeking information. I guess you will just have to take my word for that and therein lies the problem for some. I don't know how appropriate the analogy to a "wet paint" sign was, but if some one gets paint on their hands does it follow that it was the fault of the one who posted the sign?

For those that thought I was being lazy not searching out the answer to my own question, you may have a point. I was not writing a research paper or preparing something for publication. I was just looking for information. I do not own the resources on the early church fathers which would have been the right place for me to look. Also, I thought that the people of this forum would be a good resource.

I was not aware that asking factual questions was against forum rules. I am very sorry that I broke that rule. It was unintentional. Some may have noticed that I sign my posts with "Soli Deo Gloria", that is more that just a saying for me. If I have offended anyone on this forum, I truly am sorry. Glory does not accrue to God through my insensitivity, and I ask His forgiveness as well.

Soli Deo Gloria,

Randy

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 273
Brad Fry | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 9:12 AM

Randy,

I appreciate the tone of your post. I think it came across just fine. I apologize for being blunt and about as clear as mud with my "analogy".

Brad

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:03 AM

Randall Cue:
I was not aware that asking factual questions was against forum rules.

in the context of your OP, i think factual questions are allowed.  Where that particular question (are they allowed) runs awry is if they were "factual questions" about a theological viewpoint that skewed toward promoting or denigrating it.  I don[t think that was your intention at all.  However, as you can see, some topics are very contentious and people can read their own history and fears and defensiveness and whatever, into your own motivation.  It seems as though some people thought there was a kind of conspiracy to "innocently" ask a question and then get an answer that would support the topic/theme you were asking about.  At least, that is how I read some of the motivation for the objection to your post.  I could be wrong.

I still think your question was fair.  As for "being lazy" etc., I find myself sometimes at a loss as to exactly how to search for information I am seeking, and I would suspect (and have seen here) that others round out by knowledge and searching skills.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 48
Chris Rees | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:03 AM

Randall Cue:

I hesitate to write this post because tone and inflection cannot be determined. I assure you that I am writing this with gentleness and humility.

My motives for the original post have been called into question. It was written with no ulterior motives. I was simply seeking information. 

Randy

Randy,

I read your post exactly that way. I am sorry for any distress you have felt due to some of the subsequent posts. The OP was reasonable and fair. I trust the answers you were given will further help you understand the wonderful revelation of Jesus, Emmanuel.

May you have a blessed and peaceful Year,

Your brother, Chris

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:57 AM

MJ. Smith:

Brad Fry:
But the answer to the original question could have been answered or at least addressed by doing one's own research by searching one's library or the internet.

I could be wrong but I've generally assumed this sort of thing gets asked because the OP doesn't know the terms or tact to take

This seems like a fair assumption, my wife and kids often claim they can't find something on the Internet then when I find what they were looking for ask me what I typed into Google. Knowing what to type into a search is a skill in its own right IMHO.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 18886
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 12:50 PM

Randy, I don't think there was any fault in your original post, nor any bad intention. It's just that you unintentionally stepped into a land-mine. Perhaps someone with more knowledge about the history of controversy over this particular topic might not have asked any question (even looking just for factual details) about such heated topic over which emotions run so strong, but you live and learn. And the Catch-22 is how do you gain the knowledge to know what areas to avoid asking potentially dangerous questions about until you've asked and learned? These forums are not really the best place to ask questions to learn about the content or meaning of Scripture or theology or church history. Probably best to ask within your own church, or one-on-one with someone whose wisdom and gentleness and research skills you've developed a respect for.

Posts 29345
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 12:53 PM

Randall Cue:
My motives for the original post have been called into question. It was written with no ulterior motives. I was simply seeking information.

Randall Cue:
I was not aware that asking factual questions was against forum rules.

You broke no rule - your post fell into the same category as the questions on references to particular interpretations of Daniel or millenialisms. I took your question to be simply that - a question. It happened to be one that I could answer. I sincerely hope that no one took offense at your question - they took offense at my answer. The offense is on the part of those who could not stay on topic. They could not stay on topic to the point that they reposted their quotations in another thread. Unfortunately, any forum is plagued to some extent by people who have an agenda. That agenda may or may not be related to the topic of the forum. (I'll admit to having an acquaintance who was such a bother on a software forum.) Focus on the positive of the thread - you got the information you wanted, some learned about the topics.logos.com site, and the off-topic posts were easy to skip over.

To those who slid off topic, I'll try to answer in terms they will understand: Isaiah 1:18 in an appropriate forum.

Posts 29345
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 1:10 PM

Rosie Perera:
Perhaps someone with more knowledge about the history of controversy over this particular topic might not have asked any question (even looking just for factual details) about such heated topic over which emotions run so strong, but you live and learn.

Rosie, I'm sorry that it is you to whom I am replying but unfortunately you are the one who made explicit the double standard implicit in the forums - as long as people ask for information on translation to support/refute their view, ask for amillennial, post-millennial, pre-millennial, pro-millennial, anti-millennial, semi-millennial, hemi-millennial ... resources etc. then people should be able to ask about the first attested infant baptism. The fault lies with those who go off-topic not those who want information. If passion for one's position were an excuse for inappropriate behavior - I would have been kicked off the forum years ago. In fact, I could be famous as the first person, perhaps, the only person, to annoy Logos enough to be banned.Wink While the OP may be "his brothers' keeper" he is not responsible for them acting as idgits.

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 1:16 PM

Rosie Perera:
Perhaps someone with more knowledge about the history of controversy over this particular topic might not have asked any question (even looking just for factual details) about such heated topic over which emotions run so strong, but you live and learn.
That's a logical conclusion. Wouldn't you think it would also be logical for someone with  MUCH  more knowledge about the history of controversy over this particular topic might not have answered the question with a curse from the holy see?
MJ. Smith:
"Canon 2: Likewise it has been decided that whoever says that infants fresh from their mother's wombs should not be Baptized ...let him be anathema." (Council of Carthage, AD 418)

Posts 10760
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 1:18 PM

MJ: Fully OT to this thread, but thanks a lot that you introduced me to the Fallacy Detective - I'm right now enyoing the Kindle version of it, very cool and suitable for children and adults alike Yes

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 1:35 PM

NewbieMick:

MJ: Fully OT to this thread, but thanks a lot that you introduced me to the Fallacy Detective - I'm right now enyoing the Kindle version of it, very cool and suitable for children and adults alike Yes

Yes

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Page 5 of 7 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS