Specific Commentary References

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 44
Ed Jent | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 4 2012 6:55 AM

Is there a way to identify a specific commentary reference ie. Numbers 32:7 and get information from commentaries that only address that particular verse? 

I don't want it in a range. I often already have the big picture and want to drill down into one verse and want to eliminate sections that are still more or less dealing with the big picture through a group of verses.

Posts 22285
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 7:02 AM

Hi Ed

If I understand you correctly, you can't limit results of things such as Passage Guides to resources which have a comment about the specific verse. They will return hits against resources which contain the verse within a range.

The best you can do is to focus on the more detailed commentaries (which typically do verse-by-verse) and click on them in the Passage Guide. They will open to the comments on the particular verse you have selected and you can ignore everything else.

Hope this makes sense and helps a little

Graham

Posts 8602
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 7:02 AM

It's not perfect, but open up a commentary to that particular verse, making sure that Numbers 32:7 is displayed in the navigation box.

Then use the right and left arrow keys on your keyboard to cycle through your commentaries one after another.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 8:36 AM

Ed Jent:
Is there a way to identify a specific commentary reference ie. Numbers 32:7 and get information from commentaries that only address that particular verse? 

Wonder about a Basic Search of Heading Text, Large Text, Surface Text, Title in a collection of type:(Commentary,Notes) for a specific verse ?

<=Numbers 32:7> 

Note: for this verse, Heading Text had 1 result while Surface Text had the rest.  Searching All Text includes footnote references for verse.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25296
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 9:01 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Wonder about a Basic Search of Heading Text, Large Text, Surface Text, Title in a collection of type:(Commentary,Notes) for a specific verse ?

<=Numbers 32:7> 

The main disadvantage is that it will miss a milestone reference which is not tagged with a label; therefore invisible.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 44
Ed Jent | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 12:45 PM

Thanks to everyone! All great suggestions. The right arrow key is what I do now but I just would like to be able to drill down to the most specific information without looking at the commentaries that deal with verse ranges. 

The ranges are always good but once I have that information I am done with that particular aspect and want information only on the verse not the range. 

I would like to have a check box that once checked would ignore verse ranges that contain my verse although I am glad we have it at a point it gets in my way. 

Anyone else see this as important?

Thanks again!!!!!!!!

Posts 25296
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 4 2012 1:05 PM

Ed Jent:

I would like to have a check box that once checked would ignore verse ranges that contain my verse although I am glad we have it at a point it gets in my way. 

Anyone else see this as important?

This suggestion can be submitted to UserVoice where it can be voted for.

e.g. Exact passage match for commentaries in Passage Guide as this will avoid returning passages near the target.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS