Page 10 of 11 (220 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next >
This post has 219 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 18821
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2012 3:36 PM

Kent Hendricks:

1. We have posted a list of resources that still work in Libronix.

Dave Hooton:
2. The list would be improved by sorting

Also would be improved if it included links to the ftp download for each resource.

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:00 PM

DMB:

Bob ... we've got another 2 weeks and this will be over. 

I'm not sure I'm following DMB... what will be over in two weeks??

Posts 10521
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:06 PM

Emile ... download my credits and move on.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 190
EmileB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2012 6:27 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Apple includes Time Machine with OS X, which needs external storage.  Wiki  Quick Installation onto Multiple Macs => Time Machine Duplication includes link to Apple's Time Machine tutorials => http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#timemachinebasics and Mac 101: Time Machine => http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

Since Apple only licenses OS X for use on Apple hardware, OS X does not have copy protection, so copying or cloning an OS X configuration between Mac models can easily be done.  Apple's Disk Utility has partition restore, which I have successfully used many times.

Keep Smiling Smile

Thanks (as always) for your response KS4J... I noted that and will explore. 

Allow me to explain a very real possible scenario where I am....

Let's say my computer goes down for some reason and I lose L4 and my resources. However, Internet access to reinstall the software, keys, license codes, resources, etc is not available or feasible (Currently, at best where I am, Internet is terrible... certainly not able to do a complete reinstall and indexing of L4... Also, circumstances here could easily involve an eventual Internet blackout.)

In this scenario, if I have a Time Machine backup, can I COMPLETELY restore my L4 and library with ZERO Internet access (aka... completely offline?). Is there anything else that I need to copy, download, etc and have squirreled away? I think maybe I am getting confused with a) the things that would have to be done in such a scenario with Windoze, and b) differences between Libronix and L4.

If on my Mac I simply need to do a Time Machine backup to my external terrabyte drive... this does seem fairly simple, and your links should provide the solution. Can you confirm?

Thanks again!

Posts 178
Ann Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2012 7:04 PM

Kent Hendricks:

Two quick updates:

1. The "Download Instructions for Previous Versions" is once again available on the Order Summary page. There, you'll find the button that unlocks and downloads the files, just as before. Note, however, that this section appears for all products, including new products that don't work in L3. (This is why we removed it site-wide.) In the future, it will only appear for relevant products.

Hmm, just a thought..., it's ok to include new products that don't work in L3 in the 'Download Instructions for Previous Versions' option, but in such cases tag the new products as 'L4 Only' and grey out the unlock and download button. That means all other product versions are downloadable from a script update, except for the newer L4 files. Just like catching fish in a filter net, let through the previous version (L3) files and hold the tagged L4's.

This should only be a minor change to the web order summary page and hopefully would keep everybody happy. It seemed a bit draconian to chop out the 'Download Instructions for Previous Versions' to avoid unworkable L4 downloads on other versions.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2012 8:18 PM

EmileB:

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Apple includes Time Machine with OS X, which needs external storage.  Wiki  Quick Installation onto Multiple Macs => Time Machine Duplication includes link to Apple's Time Machine tutorials => http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#timemachinebasics and Mac 101: Time Machine => http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1427

Since Apple only licenses OS X for use on Apple hardware, OS X does not have copy protection, so copying or cloning an OS X configuration between Mac models can easily be done.  Apple's Disk Utility has partition restore, which I have successfully used many times.

Keep Smiling Smile

Thanks (as always) for your response KS4J... I noted that and will explore. 

Allow me to explain a very real possible scenario where I am....

Let's say my computer goes down for some reason and I lose L4 and my resources. However, Internet access to reinstall the software, keys, license codes, resources, etc is not available or feasible (Currently, at best where I am, Internet is terrible... certainly not able to do a complete reinstall and indexing of L4... Also, circumstances here could easily involve an eventual Internet blackout.)

In this scenario, if I have a Time Machine backup, can I COMPLETELY restore my L4 and library with ZERO Internet access (aka... completely offline?). Is there anything else that I need to copy, download, etc and have squirreled away? I think maybe I am getting confused with a) the things that would have to be done in such a scenario with Windoze, and b) differences between Libronix and L4.

If on my Mac I simply need to do a Time Machine backup to my external terrabyte drive... this does seem fairly simple, and your links should provide the solution. Can you confirm?

Thanks again!

OS X Lion includes a recovery partition, which can be copied to an external drive.  Apple has OS X Lion recovery => http://www.apple.com/macosx/recovery/ that includes a Recovery Disk Assistant, which can be used to create a bootable OS X Lion recovery partition, which includes Apple's Disk Utility.

Personally have partitioned my external drive for Time Machine so have a bootable partition on the drive plus backups.  Also have copied hidden OS X Lion recovery partition to my external drive.

If internal drive fails, can boot up using external drive.  When power up Mac (or restart chime), can press and hold option key so Mac scans for bootable partitions on internal and external storage, including DVD and USB.  When list appears, release option key, then choose which partition want to boot.  Mac OS X can mount any bootable partition as the root file system.

By the way, CNET has a Fix It article => http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20083166-263/managing-the-os-x-10.7-lion-restore-drive/ and MacWorld has an article => http://www.macworld.com/article/161837/2011/08/restore_lion.html

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 205
LogosEmployee
Kent Hendricks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2012 7:39 AM

Dave Hooton:

Kent Hendricks:
Two quick updates:

Kent,

1. How do people ordering a product for L3 get to this list e.g. from the Product Description page?

We had an extensive discussion about how to communicate which products work in Libronix and which don't.

We chose not to link to this list from the product pages for a few reasons:

• Most of our users have never heard of Libronix. Not only is this list not relevant to them, but making it too public and accessible would cause confusion, prompt questions, etc..
  • Most of our users who have heard of Libronix are now using Logos 4. This list is no longer relevant to them, either.
  • Most remaining Libronix users do not purchase new resources. As a rule, they are infrequent users, they don't upgrade or update their software, and they don't buy new books. This list is relevant to them, but they're not looking for it.

In the list's current location in the Libronix support pages, those who aren't looking for it won't see it, but those who want it will find it.

Dave Hooton:

2. The list would be improved by sorting

As of December 31, 2011, resource files are only shipped in Logos 4 format. The following older resources are still available in Libronix format.

1. This comment could be improved as it implies that L3 handles "older" product which clearly is not the case with NIV 2011.

2. "are only shipped" is ambiguous when you can get many in L3 format.

Try "As of December 31, 2011, new resource files are only available in Logos 4 format. The following resources are still available in Libronix format and can be downloaded from the Order Summary page."

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll forward them to the appropriate person.

Posts 25270
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2012 1:21 PM

Kent Hendricks:
In the list's current location in the Libronix support pages, those who aren't looking for it won't see it, but those who want it will find it.

It's nicely buried, but thanks for your consideration.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 521
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2012 1:37 PM

Of the seven prepubs shipped today six of them came with a download link for Libronix 3 versions. I wonder how many are left in the pipeline?

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2012 2:03 PM

Bobby Terhune:

Of the seven prepubs shipped today six of them came with a download link for Libronix 3 versions. I wonder how many are left in the pipeline?

I received several prepubs this week, including one today - all had link to Libronix version.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2012 2:27 PM

Dave Hooton:

Kent Hendricks:

It's nicely buried, but thanks for your consideration.

It belongs buried. The list is amazingly incomplete. The ftp site has some 13GB of Libronix files (if I am not mistaken.)

I have 6900+ resources in my Libronix library.  And there are a lot I do not have license to.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 25270
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2012 3:38 PM

Super Tramp:
The list is amazingly incomplete

I thought so and then thought that the list was for resources you could still buy?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2012 7:05 PM

Dave Hooton:

Super Tramp:
The list is amazingly incomplete

I thought so and then thought that the list was for resources you could still buy?

I bet that is it. I would hate for Logos to drop the John MacArthur "Lifeworks" sets by Nelson. The bundle with the commentaries is

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 1:17 PM

Bob Pritchett:

DMB:
I continue to believe Logos really has a hard time with honesty. I thought it was basically Bob and Dan; certainly not their father. But then Bob trashed his staff for wanting to prevent access, so who knows. I was so angry last night since L3 was the cheap solution for many (L4 runs fine for me).

I should probably ignore this... but I can't.

Honesty is the first item on the Logos list of values. It really bothers me if you think that I an not exhibiting that value, because it means that our communication problem is worse than I think, or that I have some huge blind spot in my life.

I'm also bothered that you think Dan has a problem with it, since he rarely communicates publicly. What is he saying that's giving you this impression?

Can you please point to any instance in which Dan or I have not been honest with you or our customers? To any knowingly dishonest statement? To any intentionally deceptive omission?

We try to be completely transparent. When we make mistakes, or frustrate our users, I explain in what seems to me to be excessive detail how and why things happened. Sure, we don't reveal some things -- like shipping dates of new features -- but that's not dishonest; we tell you why we aren't telling you!

--------------------

I'm also bothered that you think Dan has a problem with it, since he rarely communicates publicly. What is he saying that's giving you this impression?

Peace to you, Bob! *smile* And! Always Joy in the Lord even in dark and difficult and sorrowful days!

Along with you and I'm sure many others I am shocked and saddened and offended. I want to assure you that many, many of us long-term (and I'm sure short-term, also) Logos users have complete and total trust in your honesty, your ethics, and your leadership at Logos Bible Software. It is remarkable besides that -- that you are so open and so often communicate with us about what is happening and what is going to happen.

Logos Bible Software is critically important to me. I come from a Church Tradition that believes that The Word of God and The Holy Sacraments are the Means of Grace whereby the Holy Spirit gives, sustains, and nourishes Christian Faith. I won't go into that now; but do let me say that Logos Bible Software has enabled me to study and read and meditate on the Word of God in an incredible manner over the years. Powerfully, indeed! To so easily study the Word in English and in the original languages has gratified me beyond measure. I thank you. I thank Logos Bible Software. I thank God!

A word of advice, wise or not ..........  I know some of the things that are said in some of the posts on the Forums must hurt you very terribly, but ....  Don't let your adversities let you become thick-skinned; but continue to be tender-hearted and evangelical!        *smile*

I am quite conficent that many Logos users have often prayed for you, your loved ones, and Logos Bible Software and will continue to do so.

Psalm 119:105 John 8:31 John 8:32

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 3:01 PM

Milford Charles Murray:
I want to assure you that many, many of us long-term (and I'm sure short-term, also) Logos users have complete and total trust in your honesty, your ethics, and your leadership at Logos Bible Software. It is remarkable besides that -- that you are so open and so often communicate with us about what is happening and what is going to happen.

YesYes from 15 year user!!!

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 8:21 PM

Bob Pritchett:

We write Logos 4 on Microsoft's announced new tech platform for Windows, which runs slower on existing machines

Wow, I wish L4 was built on a platform that worked on my PC like L3 does! Not trying to be facetious, but wouldn't it be a better idea to build for the majority of users instead of just those with cutting edge machines?

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 8:33 PM

Shawn Drewett:

Bob Pritchett:

We write Logos 4 on Microsoft's announced new tech platform for Windows, which runs slower on existing machines

Wow, I wish L4 was built on a platform that worked on my PC like L3 does! Not trying to be facetious, but wouldn't it be a better idea to build for the majority of users instead of just those with cutting edge machines?

It benefits Logos users for Logos to stay ahead of the technology, rather than behind it. If Logos released a version of L4 built on technology that everyone had when it was still in development, their product would be underpowered on the first day of its release (to say nothing or a year or two down the road). It is now two years past L4's release date and most users now have machines that can handle L4.

Even if Logos did design L4 to run on old machines, how far back should they go? Why not Apple 2 or Commodore 64?

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 8:41 PM

Shawn Drewett:
Not trying to be facetious,
Really? Hmm Could have fooled me.

Shawn Drewett:
I wish L4 was built on a platform that worked on my PC like L3 does!

One of my computers is an Acer Aspire One netbook with 1GB Ram and an Atom 270 processor. It ain't fast but I can run Logos 4 and Libronix 3 on it and boot both at the same time. My L3 library searches are still slow (6920 resources) but Logos 4 is snappy enough for me (8926 resources. You can pick up one of these cutting edge betbooks for under $200 off eBay.  

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 8:58 PM

Well, I used to think I was in the minority but after semi-following the forums for the last few months I don't feel so alone in my opinion. Nevertheless I'll continue to use L4 simply because I have to if I am going to access all my resources.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2012 9:05 PM

Shawn Drewett:
I'll continue to use L4 simply because I have to if I am going to access all my resources.

Did you know almost all resources produced up to Christmas 2011 will run on Libronix 3? It is FUTURE resources (the ones you don't own yet) that will be for Logos 4 only.

Page 10 of 11 (220 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > | RSS