Slow Logos 4

Page 5 of 8 (146 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last »
This post has 145 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 2801
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 2:02 PM

I was a away most of the day so I am just now getting back to my home PC where I reformatted the drive and reinstalled Logos4.  With only MS Office 2010 it was much faster than it was before the reformat.  I was afraid that adding my software back might kill this new found euphoria.  But having installed a few things it is still moving along nicely.  There is a noticable improvement in L4. Still a slight lag, but very manageable. I have installed so far besides MSO2010 the following:

1. Drivers for hardware (Epson artisan 800, Logitech, nVidia)
  2. Firefox and my favorite add-ons
  3. WinRAR archiver
  4. Bibleworks 8 and all updates
  5. Live Mesh for syncing
  6. iTunes 9 & Quicktime
  7. Lastpass for password sync
  8. Xmarks for bookmark sync
  9. Windows Live Essentials - writer, mail. photo gallery, movie make

Getting ready to put back Photoshop and WordSearch and Premiere Elements. But so far so good. Might be the temp folder thing as I have not had time to muck it up much.

Posts 26193
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 2:34 PM

Mark A. Smith:
I am sure others are having much better results than I am, so again, I don't want to seem like a squeaky wheel.

just don't run out of oil!

The main issue I see for your installation is the word "Vista"   -- I have 2 GB less RAM and run L4 for days on end (just putting it to sleep at nights) and with plenty of my normal apps: Explorer, Firefox with 8 tabs, MS Word, Outlook Express, IrfanView, Beyond Compare. It is "acceptable" when  opening and closing tabs of resources or guides, but I use 14 tabs which is much more than I had with L3. But I am running offline at the moment.

Under Windows 7 RC 64-bit on the same computer L4 is more responsive, but no faster when running searches. I might install to my Vista 32-bit (same computer!) to check it out.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1656
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 3:04 PM

Dave:

My older P4 does not run it at any speed that is really usable. It must be asked to do ONE thing at a time

I can run it fairly well on a dual core laptop if I stick to ONE resource at a time with NO "follow" windows ie. "Cited" "Information" "Bible Explorer" etc

(It means I have to trust the right arrow key and + sign to get the resources correct).

That way I can at least get the mouse wheel to scroll the page - and sometimes even the scroll bar. (for me, there is definitely something VERY wrong with the scroll bar "lag.")

(Because of the lag issue) I mainly use it to compare various BIbles and to check out commentaries or other resources with similar material - I'm not doing multi-searches or syntax-morphs etc. I would like to be able to use some of the new "follow" tools, but it is just too frustrating.

It scares and makes me slightly sad to hear "Quad" core people speaking of "slowness." - I try not to expect too much.

But it looks very nice!

Steve

(At first when "optimization' was mentioned I thought that meant before the release from beta. Maybe it means after all the bells and whistles are added? (Sermon File, PBB etc?)

Regards, SteveF

Posts 26193
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 3:59 PM

Stephen Filyer:
(At first when "optimization' was mentioned I thought that meant before the release from beta. Maybe it means after all the bells and whistles are added? (Sermon File, PBB etc?)

I think that will be ongoing with no single big effort next year!  The developers ran out of time before the release.

Tools with "Follow" options are also a drag, so I use them sparingly with the "None" option.

The Quad core "slowness" is a bit of mystery - maybe the "older" Core 2 Quads. The new Core i5 and Core i7 should be ideal together with Windows 7. But the cheaper Athlon X4 Quad cores are OK.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 1656
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 4:15 PM

QUOTE: maybe the "older" Core 2 Quads. The new Core i5 and Core i7 should be ideal together with Windows 7. But the cheaper Athlon X4 Quad cores are OK.

Thanks, David, this is helpful.

I had just been looking into one of the "older" Quads.

I'll keep on thinking, searching tweaking...

Steve

Regards, SteveF

Posts 9405
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 7:29 PM

Dave Hooton:
The main issue I see for your installation is the word "Vista"  

I am seriously thinking about starting over on this machine and installing W7 64 bit. Just a lot of work. I just bought a second 7200 RPM drive to be my primary and do the change-over (I have a Dell two drive laptop. One of the drives (D:) is already 7200 RPM but when I installed the beta it went onto the 5400 RPM drive and I haven't wanted to mess with transferring it). I would expect a faster drive plus W7 should speed things up some. (The things I'll do for my favorite Bible software!)

I am going to try to run a very simple layout and check the timings, too. Mine is laden with open resources, but that's how I want to use it (I did the same in L3). Maybe fewer resources open will speed things up. I think I could adjust to that. It's too slow right now.

I just installed on the desktop computer at the church office. It is running XPSR3. Can't recall the other specs. I'll try timing some things there, too. I actually haven't used it there yet.

Thanks for the advise and sharing your experience.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2801
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 7:33 PM

Mark A. Smith:
I am seriously thinking about starting over on this machine and installing W7 64 bit.

It was worth it in my case, but as they say YMMV

Posts 9405
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 18 2009 8:05 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

Thanks, Kevin. I've started to write down the steps I need to take. UGGH.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 2801
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 12:17 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Kevin A. Purcell:

Thanks, Kevin. I've started to write down the steps I need to take. UGGH.

I play with a lot of software on my main desktop so I reformat it about once every other month.  One of the ways to make it really easy is find an automatic syncing program that will put all your personal documents on another computer or online so that you don't have to do that. I have Live Mesh set  up to sync my computer with all my others and the online storage.  I also have it to sync my old Logos folder and my BibleWorks notes folder.  I use xmarks to syncy my firefox bookmarks and lastpass to sync my passwords.  the only thing I back up is my pictures and music (I have too many of those to make live mesh useful).  I then get all the sofware in my downloads and anything I've left on the desktop.

Next step is to deauthorize software that requires this. itunes, photoshop are the only two i have presently.

Finally make sure you have your chipset drivers (if yo need them) graphics driver, and if you need drivers for whatever you use to get online (network card or wifi).  The rest I just download once I get windows installed and those three drivers installed.

I just reboot and reinstall windows using the method that deletes the partition and starts over.

Reinstall in this order usually ..

1. Chipset,

2. graphcis

3. network

Then make sure all your other hardware is running and finally download all updates for the Internet using windows update.  After that if you don't want to have to go through this process get an image of your drive using something like True Image.

Finally copy back all your backed up documents and settings and install software.

I put Logos 4 on first (after MS Office). And it is working great now.  Only a little lag.

Posts 8659
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 1:00 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
I play with a lot of software on my main desktop so I reformat it about once every other month. 
Holy smokes you're worse than me Kevin.  I'm down to only an annual format.  Though I must confess it really needs it by that time.

IMHO I think you'd do better making a disk image right after your drivers are installed.  Of course the downside is that  you may need to update a driver afterwards.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 102
Roger King | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 1:11 PM

I thought that I was the only one who did a re-format more than once every decade. I am at about 3-4 times for this year already. Monthly? Wow? My hat is off to you!! (Is there a support group for people like us?) Indifferent

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 1:26 PM

I'm also a "reformatter"

I do a full image restore about once every 3 months....

it's painless.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 1:36 PM

This sounds [adjective deleted to remove any hint of offense] to me.

I never reformat, unless I have absolutely have to, and wouldn't consider doing it on a regular basis. I just can't imagine the time lost in doing it would be made up for by any (alleged) speed savings.

But neither do I regularly test new software.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 8659
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 1:54 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
But neither do I regularly test new software.
Therein lies the difference.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 41
Rick Goettsche | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 2:38 PM

Honestly, that's one of the things that is bugging me about Logos 4--it feels too much like beta software. I guess I look at it as though truly release-worthy software shouldn't require me to format my computer. Like many others, I don't reformat unless I have to (which has been a couple different times in the last year or so), but I also don't test software...unless you count Logos 4. Again, I really, really want to like the new version, but so far, there are just some major deal-breakers for me. I suppose I should have known that the software was not really ready for prime-time when I saw that there were still features missing. I realize this sounds like sour grapes, but this has just been a disappointing experience for me. I love my Logos software and use it for all sorts of things every day, but I just can't deal with a software that can't run properly without so much work.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 4:44 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
I never reformat, unless I have absolutely have to, and wouldn't consider doing it on a regular basis. I just can't imagine the time lost in doing it would be made up for by any (alleged) speed savings.

I did it the day before yesterday.

I hit start.

I chose restore

I made dinner

Before i came to the table, my laptop was as good as the day I started, without any intervention from me.

It's that "new car smell" anytime you want.... :)

Robert Pavich

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 4:45 PM

Robert, what program do you use?

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 5:10 PM

Damian,

I use Acronis True Image home edition.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

Unlike "factory restore" which restores all of the programs that they loaded that you hate....this allows you to make sure that all of your favorite software is installed and working great...all service packs installed...

Once you like it...freeze it in time. :)

bob

Robert Pavich

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 5:10 PM

thanks bob....

Posts 140
Mark Allison | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 19 2009 5:26 PM

Ouch! I know you guys love your PCs, but is this really what it takes to have Windows function well over an extended period of time? If OS X and Linux don't require a complete reformat every few months, I wonder why Microsoft can't figure out how to do the same thing?

Page 5 of 8 (146 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS