Help with a Database Migration

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 7
Dean Poulos | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 6 2012 8:33 PM

Hi everyone and happy 2012...

Before I moved, I ran the AV for a church that was using MediaShout 2.0. 4 years later when I needed to move, MediaShout was up to version 4.5 and the dBASE was about 1.3GB with over 3,500 Songs. MediaShout uses a simple .mdb, so I can make it into pretty much whatever is needed, IF it is needed.

The church does use CCLI/Song Select, however, the majority of the 3,500 songs were done manually over the years, since the CCLI versions either did not match the church hymnal, or were not available.

Prior to moving, their PC was old. Although I seriously doubt this would matter, just in case, the new PC, I left them with running Win 7 x64 SP1 is confugured as such:

Mobo: ATX G.1 (Gygabyte). CPU i7 970, Vids were two older ATi 4,800's which I set up as X-Fire for the Main Screen, fed into an I/O to all the other displays. The HD's are a 240GB SSD (OCZ Agility) OS and ASpps and for the Media 3 x 1TB WD Cav Blacks, I set to RAID 2, since I had no idea who would wewnd up running the system.

I've downloaded the test version and cannot find anything close to dBASE import tool, or even if I explain to them they'll need to change import text and lose all their formatting, that's not too bad, given the way the Proclaim Cloud Solution functions. What I do know is they would never change without the ability to migrate existing songs and this is the case with many churches who ran an OnPremise Application for many years.

Thank you in advance for any help...

In Jesus' name

Dean Poulos

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 5:10 AM

Dean Poulos:

I've downloaded the test version and cannot find anything close to dBASE import tool, or even if I explain to them they'll need to change import text and lose all their formatting, that's not too bad, given the way the Proclaim Cloud Solution functions. What I do know is they would never change without the ability to migrate existing songs and this is the case with many churches who ran an OnPremise Application for many years.

Dear Dean,

Just to let you know that I do not work for Logos, but have been using Proclaim for some months. I am responding as it may be that the Proclaim support team do not see this post until their return to the office on Monday morning.

Apologies if I have misunderstood you, but I understand that you are asking for instructions as to how to import your MediaShout library into Proclaim. I understand that this may prove to be a critical issue in your church's decision as to whether to move to Proclaim.

It is my understanding that there is no current facilitate for importing songs from MediaShout into Proclaim. I am aware that this has been suggested on the Forums and understand that the request is being considered.

However, I wonder if you have tested the integration between SongSelect and Proclaim. We found ourselves in a very similar situation to your church inasmuch as we had built up a huge database of songs in MediaShout and were reluctant to surrender this in our move to Proclaim. We were, therefore, surprised and delighted at the well-executed integration between SongSelect and Proclaim. With this activated, you should be able to pull up any song which appears on the CCLI database. Our church generally uses the very latest songs from Soul Survivor, Passion, Hill Song, etc. and I was concerned that SongSelect may not contain some of these songs. The only omissions we have discovered are songs penned by individuals within our church. Other than this we have not had to manually enter any songs.

Given this, I wonder if your MediaShout database is, in fact, needed (unless you use many self-generated materials)?

Andy 

Posts 1729
LogosEmployee
Hunter Clagett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 12:09 PM

Thank you for your interest in Proclaim!

We understand that importing legacy data is important to our users. Importing files generated by Mediashout is a planned feature that will be rolled out in a future release. 

In the meantime we do apologize for the inconvenience. 

Thanks,

- Hunter Clagett

Logos 4 Bug Report - Mac | PC

Proclaim - Mac/PC

Posts 7
Dean Poulos | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 4:56 PM

Hi Andy and Hunter,

Thanks for the reply.

Andy, re: SongSelect CCLI integration. As you know that is part of MediaShout and although I helped the church to initially build their songs.mdb using SongSelect, not even 1/2 of the Songs in their Hymnal were or are in Song Select at this point, or at times they were, however, were a different version, or missing a verse or two.

An example is below (although this may have changed) I'm certain many have not. I still have a CCLI account, so I'll check, but in trying to download Hark! The Herald Angels Sing, the verse below was missing.

However, it was more about many, many songs simply not being on SongSelect which really works great, when the exact song you want is there.

It could be said having most verses are better than none and to simply copy/paste, or type I can understand, but missing songs and extracting the entire dataabase to text and using copy/paste would be a bit much.

However, as we know Logos moves fairly quickly and I had a feeling the import feature would be coming, after realizing it was not there right now. I advised them to not purchase anything other than MediaShout and have some patience. My fauly for getting them excited about this. Since I work in the software industry, mostly with Oracle, you can understand why I like Cloud Applications with easy data migration capabilities. Thank you and God bless.  

"Come, Desire of nations come,
Fix in us Thy humble home;
Rise, the Woman's conquering Seed,
Bruise in us the Serpent's head.
Adam's likeness, Lord efface:
Stamp Thy image in its place;
Second Adam, from above,
Reinstate us in thy love.

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:41 AM

Dean Poulos:

...not even 1/2 of the Songs in their Hymnal were or are in Song Select at this point, or at times they were, however, were a different version, or missing a verse or two.

Dear Dean,

Thank you for your response. I now understand and appreciate why the ability to import from MediaShout is a priority for your church.

I hope, with you, that Logos will add this functionality as soon as is practicably possible.

God bless,

Andy

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS