Gluttony a sin in the bible?

Page 1 of 4 (68 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 67 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 53
Larry Parker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 7 2012 6:14 AM

This is not a direct Logos question, but I don't know of a better group of people to answer my request.  I'm 56 and for most of my life I was taught that gluttony was a sin as well as hatred, pride, and others.  So my wife and I went to looking for the scripture that addresses this, and we cannot find anything even close that says it's a sin.

We've tried some other words related to gluttony but nothing close to what we are looking for.

Is there scripture stating that gluttony is a sin?

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 6:29 AM

Larry Parker:

Maybe these verses will help...  Although these verses do not state gluttony as a sin explicitly, I believe they do imply it.  A lust for anything but the true God is sin. (i.e. the First Commandment)

Deuteronomy 21:20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

Proverbs 23:21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: And drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Philippians 3:19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.

Posts 8596
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 6:32 AM

Opening a Bible search for the word Gluttony (gluttony | Top Bibles) reveals potentially Ezek. 16:49, as translated by the NLT.  

Despite my desire, I will avoid further commentary on that.  

For Logos books, I might suggest (though I do not own them both).

Seven Deadly Sins by Caie, Norman M. 

or

The Seven Deadly Sins by Stalker, James

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 549
Shawn Drewett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 6:32 AM

Great references Peter! I was wondering myself!

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 6:47 AM

I think you can look at 1 Cor 15:19, where St. Paul says the life he has chosen is pitiable if there is no resurrection. He goes on to say in 1 Cor 15:32 "If the dead are not raised let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die".

There is a good discussion of this in Desiring God, Meditations of a Christian Hedonist; he makes the point that gluttony is the alternative to resurrection.

Posts 53
Larry Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 6:51 AM

The Philippians 3:19 is one we had not found.  Thank you.

I just bought the Seven Deadly Sins book and it should be installing now.  Thank you for that too.

I knew there would be excellent replies here.  Thanks very much for your help!

Posts 3960
Forum MVP
Fredc | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 7:09 AM

As a Southern Baptist who likes what we call "fellowship" (those who are know what I meanWink) I would like to think of glutton and related words as being a very subjective term. Additionally, it can never refer to Chicken or any other fried meat product, and kind of casserole that has cheese, or banana puddingBig Smile 

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 7:28 AM

Fred Chapman:
it can never refer to ... banana pudding
Thanks be to God !!!!!!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 7:56 AM

Larry Parker:

tom collinge:

Fred Chapman:
it can never refer to ... banana pudding
Thanks be to God !!!!!!

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 8:24 AM

Larry Parker:

This is not a direct Logos question, but I don't know of a better group of people to answer my request.  I'm 56 and for most of my life I was taught that gluttony was a sin as well as hatred, pride, and others.  So my wife and I went to looking for the scripture that addresses this, and we cannot find anything even close that says it's a sin.

We've tried some other words related to gluttony but nothing close to what we are looking for.

Hezekiah 3:12

For two big Macs and for three thou shalt trouble thy stomach.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9459
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 8:33 AM

I think the gluttony logic was prior to sushi. Just a tiny piece far exceeds many, many boxes of Cherios. Even in Amarillo, a 2 lb steak couldn't match some of the sushi these days.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 8:37 AM

This question is more important than we may realize. Especially if the one asking it is looking at preachers who exercise no self control at their tables.

One young man was condemned publicly by a preacher for having "long hair". He was informed how dishonorable it was for a man to wear his hair long. The youth replied he would much rather be dishonored publicly than be guilty of the "sin" of gluttony.   True story.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 9944
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 8:53 AM

Am 6.4-7

Alas for those who lie on beds of ivory,
   and lounge on their couches,
   and eat lambs from the flock,
   and calves from the stall;
5 who sing idle songs to the sound of the harp,
   and like David improvise on instruments of music;
6 who drink wine from bowls, 
   and anoint themselves with the finest oils,
   but are not grieved over the ruin of Joseph!
7 Therefore they shall now be the first to go into exile,
    and the revelry of the loungers shall pass away.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8596
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 9:47 AM

George Somsel:

Hezekiah 3:12

For two big Macs and for three thou shalt trouble thy stomach.

The proper reference George is: 1 Hesitations 3:12.  It's right after second heresies.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 53
Larry Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 10:39 AM

Thanks to "Keep smiling for Jesus", I did what I should have done to begin with.  I used Logos search option on all text.  Now I have everything I could want for reference

I posted originally because this was just a teaching I had learned but I did not know exactly where it was in scripture.  I thought that gluttony was listed along with other sins, but it's not where I thought it would be.  For instance in 2 Timothy.

On a side note, in the past, I have been tired of very overweight TV preachers talking about how smoking (among others too) is such a sin, while their gut is bouncing all over the place.  However, I realize this is a very bad way to view them, as it is the same as a person with a physical flaw praying over someone for a healing.  Or a preacher that wears glasses teaching about healing.  My gosh, if I'm going to expect a perfect person to preach, then bye bye to preachers and any spreading of the gospel.

I have a spinal cord injury that affects my life twenty four hours a day.  Many times I have prayed over people to be healed, and according to the kind of thinking above, I should have stayed quiet.  That's not what Jesus tells me to do.  The Great Commission of Mark 16 is all I need to know, and if I'm imperfect, well then so be it, I'll do it anyways.  ;-)

Incidentally, I'm skinny.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 10:44 AM

I love reading signs on Church marquees, and one of my all time favorites says

"The Church isn't perfect - if it was you wouldn't be invited in"

Posts 53
Larry Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 11:03 AM

That sure is the truth.  Church is a hospital for the hurting, not a clubhouse.

Posts 3469
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 12:01 PM

Larry Parker:

That sure is the truth.  Church is a hospital for the hurting, not a clubhouse.

Yes

(Where's my like button?)

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Bill

W8.1 64bit, Office 2016
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 16Gb RAM, 512Gb Samsung 850 Pro SSD
Samsung Galaxy S7, Android 7.0

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 7 2012 1:04 PM

I am sometimes amazed at God's response after I have prayed for the sick.  When I am sick and pray for myself,I seldom improve (except once when I was visiting Christians in Bulgaria in the bad old days, and was coming down with a fluey cold I didn't need on such a short visit.  After prayer it desisted.  And once I exorcised a crippling back pain that always used to hit me the day I was due to return to Albania, and I was terrified when it didn't improve - the pain just disappeared!  Other times neither prayer nor exorcism has been followed by any improvement...  

Re obese people (I'm not underweight now and have been seriously overweight in the past) preaching that smokers should give up their bad habit (I don't smoke, but have fewer problems with Christians who smoke than with Christians who abuse our God-given body by making pigs of ourselves and thus putting our health at risk), I feel we should beware of preaching a discipline we are not practising ourselves.  What we say may be very true, but how many people are going to be inspired by our example to do what we say?

At the moment I'm concerned that my preoccupation with food shows more attachment to food than to God.  Yesterday I fasted for 24 hours for the first time in years, because I had been prevented by just not wanting to give up my food and capuccino.  Interestingly, yesterday I didn't feel much spiritual benefit, apart from being led to download samples of books about fasting on KIndle with a view to finding further insight.  Have just finished:  Fasting: a Biblical study (Logos), which I found very helpful.  I do recommend it.

But today the Bible spoke to me more than usual, and we had a good session with our often problematic children's group.  I think putting God before food for 24 hours, by not eating, has helped me become more focussed on him and his will.  With positive results.  I intend to do it regularly.  

Just as looking lustfully at a member of the opposite sex can be a form of adultery, so, in my case, over-preoccupation with what I am going to eat is a form of gluttony and, in fact, of idolatry, when food becomes more important to me than God.

(Ithink that verbal diarrhoea is  sometimes a disease, sometimes a sinful addiction, so I shall now shut up!)

Page 1 of 4 (68 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS