Purgatory a sin inthe bible?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 8 2012 5:57 AM

This is not a direct Logos question, but I don't know of a better group of people to answer my request.  I'm 53 and for most of my life I was taught that purgatory was a real place.  So my wife and I went to looking for the scripture that addresses this, and we cannot find anything even close that says it's real.

We've tried some other words related to purgatory but nothing close to what we are looking for.

Is there scripture stating that purgatory is real?

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:08 AM

Peter Cellini:

This is not a direct Logos question, but I don't know of a better group of people to answer my request.  I'm 53 and for most of my life I was taught that purgatory was a real place.  So my wife and I went to looking for the scripture that addresses this, and we cannot find anything even close that says it's real.

We've tried some other words related to purgatory but nothing close to what we are looking for.

Dear Peter,

As you are aware, I cannot answer you question because, in so doing, I would contravene the forum rules (with which you are familiar).

What package do you have and I will assist you in running a search?

Andy

Posts 4595
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 6:19 AM

Peter Cellini:

Peter

I acknowledge the you realise that this question is bending the rules of the forum - in order to get you back on track may I remind you of the 'Go' bar in the Logos package.

Using this you will find a variety of opinions, definitions and other references. In my, relatively small, library I am presented with over 150 resources where it mentioned.

Might I suggest that you do the same, review the results and form an opinion of your own.

To answer your question directly would be against forum rules and anyway there are the informed opinions of greater minds than mine at your behest.

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 7:20 AM

Dear Peter,

Hopefully to assist you in you enquiry and to keep this thread focused upon Logos Bible Software, I repeat the steps set out in another thread, but adapted to your peculiar query.

I have asked you to clarify which package you own in order to better assist you. It would also be helpful to understand whether you are working on a Mac or a PC. I appreciate, however, this being the Lord's Day, you may not yet have had opportunity to respond.

However, as stated on the previous thread, please accept my apologies if the instructions below are too basic. Given that lack of information provided, I am unable to judge your level of experience with Logos Bible Software. I will endeavour, therefore, to assume nothing.

I am assuming from your post that you wish to research the doctrine of purgatory.

Logos Bible Software (L4 or L4Mac) has a powerful search engine which can be accessed by clicking on the magnifying glass to the top left of your screen (next to the icon depicting a house, which will take you to your home page, and a book, which will bring up your library catalogue). On clicking on the home screen to will be presented with the search box displayed in the screen shot below (for the purposes of this exercise please disregard the panel on the far left),

You will note that I intend to run a 'Basic' search (please note the tab highlighted 'Basic' to the top right of your screen). You will note that the highlighted fields currently read 'all text' and 'entire library'. As I run a search using this setting, Logos searches all text throughout my entire library as displayed in the screen shot below,

I have used the term provided by yourself ('purgatory') to frame the search. In order to make the search more specific, I could add the term, 'doctrine' in order to narrow the results. I would phrase this as either, purgatory AND doctrine, or, purgatory NEAR doctrine. You will see, from the screen shot below, that I have chosen the latter option in order to narrow the search,

You will note that the search results are considerable and verge on the unmanageable. It is, however, possible to further narrow these search results in order to (hopefully) provide a more manageable list of resources.

Note, in the screenshot below, that I have change the field reading 'entire library' to 'Bible Dictionaries and Encyclopaedias (new)'. This is a custom collection and is very useful when running searches,

You will note that the search results are immediately narrowed and are hopefully more focused and helpful.

There are very helpful instructions on the Wiki for setting up collections. You can access the relevant pages here. Please read this carefully and feel free to ask further (in a new strand) should you require further assistance with regards to collections. I am, however, happy to share the formula for my collection (entitled 'Bible Dictionaries and Encyclopaedias') in order to assist you in quickly setting up a comparable search. Collections can be accessed (and created) by selecting 'Tools' (from the menu bar at the top of your screen) and then 'Collections',

Finally, it is possible to further narrow your search results by changing the fielding reading 'All Text'. I have selected 'Search Fields' and then 'Heading Texts', as per the screenshot below,

There are other options you may wish to play around with. Please note, however, that some resources are not tagged as thoroughly and narrowing the search fields in this way may filter out some positive results. It is important that you play around with this to your satisfaction. The results will differ depending up the contents of your library. The results of this narrowing of the search field is seen in the screen shot below,

You will note that narrowing the search field to heading text returns no results. I, therefore, tinkered again and remove the term doctrine which provided me with the following result,

You will note that the search results are now exceedingly narrow. Were I running this search for real, I would want to widen out the search fields (i.e. reverse the steps above) in order to capture more results. However, you may find that The Encyclopaedia of Christianity is a good place to begin your study.

Please do not hesitate to ask should any of this be unclear or should you require further assistance with Logos Bible Software.

Andy

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 8:38 AM

Andy Evans:

You will note that the search results are now exceedingly narrow. Were I running this search for real, I would want to widen out the search fields (i.e. reverse the steps above) in order to capture more results. However, you may find that The Encyclopaedia of Christianity is a good place to begin your study.

Please do not hesitate to ask should any of this be unclear or should you require further assistance with Logos Bible Software.

Andy

Peace to you, Andy!            May God give you and your Family!!!           good Health and every Blessing for the New Year.

I found myself really enjoying your Logos Usage Lesson today even though I am a long-term Logos User.  Thank you!  Actually, I picked up a couple of good ideas and appreciate your post!                                        *smile*

Psalm 119:105

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 9:23 AM

Andy Evans:
There are very helpful instructions on the Wiki for setting up collections. You can access the relevant pages here. Please read this carefully and feel free to ask further (in a new strand) should you require further assistance with regards to collections. I am, however, happy to share the formula for my collection (entitled 'Bible Dictionaries and Encyclopaedias') in order to assist you in quickly setting up a comparable search.

Likewise can share my "Bible Backgrounds" collection with rule:

Title:("Bible Atlas",Background,Context,Curiosities,Every,Images,Jewish,Judaism,Milieu,Manners,Map,Social,Talmud,Travel) OR Subject:(Jews,Judaism) OR Author:Jastrow

that includes my "Bible Dictionaries" collection with rule:

Type:Encyclopedia AND Subject:(Apologetics,Bible,Christian,History,Judaism,Religion,Theology)

Also included a couple search examples using #image along with expanding Topic section that appears when searching Entire Library.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 11:32 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Likewise can share my "Bible Backgrounds" collection with rule:

Title:("Bible Atlas",Background,Context,Curiosities,Every,Images,Jewish,Judaism,Milieu,Manners,Map,Social,Talmud,Travel) OR Subject:(Jews,Judaism) OR Author:Jastrow

that includes my "Bible Dictionaries" collection with rule:

Type:Encyclopedia AND Subject:(Apologetics,Bible,Christian,History,Judaism,Religion,Theology)

Also included a couple search examples using #image along with expanding Topic section that appears when searching Entire Library.

Dear KS4J,

Thank you so much for sharing this information. I think I may steal (ahem... I mean borrow) your 'Bible Background' collection rule. I further found it instructive and helpful to review your various approaches in running the relevant seach.

Thank you once again,

Andy

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 11:37 AM

Milford Charles Murray:

I found myself really enjoying your Logos Usage Lesson today even though I am a long-term Logos User.  Thank you!  Actually, I picked up a couple of good ideas and appreciate your post!    

Dear Milford, 

Thank you so much for your gracious and kind words. In truth, I am only just scratching the surface of L4, particularly when compared with the expertise of many of the MVPs.

I am thankful for the kindness and generosity of the Logos community and those who selflessly give up their time in order to help others grow in the study of God's Word.

God bless you and your family (and I hope you and your wife are enjoying your Christmas present!).

Andy

Posts 2375
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:20 PM

Peter;  Ran your search in my Library and did a quick check on the results:

Search for Purgatory:

476  in  124   in Platinum   Did a quick random check one third for / one third against / one third sit on the fence
   443   in  73   in my Catholic resources [188 resources] most in favor of

If you want to know about a subject that is taught by one group then you must add many of that group’s resources to your library. Then you follow their logic.  Where did they go wrong?  [[did you find the error in their logic?]]   If you cannot find the error in their logic then, sorry but, they are right!

Posts 2689
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:37 PM

Thanks Andy for your thoughtful and respectful response to Peter. I am glad to be part of the family of churches you are involved in, NF. You are an example to be followed Yes.

Blessings

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:50 PM

Peter Cellini:

I have Platinum

Apologies, Peter, the conversation moved on while I was posting (for some reason uploads are exceedingly slow at the moment).

It is interesting that you have Platinum as I have the same package and so the search results should be approximately comparable. It is worth noting, however, that I have added a couple of large collections (most notably the Master Collection) which will obviously result in some differentiation.

Out of interest, are you working on a Mac or a PC? I have just recently moved to Mac and am aware that there are some differences and would not want to cause confusion.

Are you aware of the excellent videos provided by Mark Barnes? I found them incredibly useful in my own study. At least one of those videos provide a really helpful overview of the search capabilities of Logos. I will endeavour to locate the link and post it back here.

Andy

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:57 PM

Andy Evans:
Are you aware of the excellent videos provided by Mark Barnes? I found them incredibly useful in my own study. At least one of those videos provide a really helpful overview of the search capabilities of Logos. I will endeavour to locate the link and post it back here.

http://www.logos4training.com/videos/searching/

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 336
Icarus38376 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 1:00 PM

Andy, I work on a PC.

And am proficient at using Logos.

however, I have learned some things from your screenshots...thanks

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 8 2012 1:20 PM

steve clark:

Andy Evans:

http://www.logos4training.com/videos/searching/

Thank you, Steve. I thought I had bookmarked the link. I have now.

Thanks once again.

Andy

Posts 7953
LogosEmployee

Yes, the original question violates the forum guidelines, but I'll let it stand because there's been some helpful discussion of how to use Logos Bible Software to research this topic.

Please keep all replies focused on the use of Logos Bible Software and avoid theological discussions and uncivil posts.

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 9 2012 6:24 AM

Bradley Grainger:

Yes, the original question violates the forum guidelines, but I'll let it stand because there's been some helpful discussion of how to use Logos Bible Software to research this topic.

Please keep all replies focused on the use of Logos Bible Software and avoid theological discussions and uncivil posts.

Thanks for using your pruning tools Bradley.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 383
Daniel Bender | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 9 2012 6:56 AM

Andy, thank you for your screen shots. I think you like showing off your new MBA. Smile I have been thinking about moving to Mac for sometime and I'm nearly convinced. Thank you for your great post and thanks to KS4J for his collection rule for "Bible Background." I used some of his ideas to tweak my current rule.

DMB

Posts 38
Douglas Stolberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 9 2012 1:22 PM

Lynden Williams:

Thanks for using your pruning tools Bradley.

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS