Logos Vista. We Want Logos 7.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 36
Ben Vargh | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:16 AM

I am in a country where a laptop and broadband is a luxury. I was privileged to own Logos 3  and a laptop albeit with much difficulty. Come Logos 4, and my laptop is not very usable with it. I appeal that rather than taking the approach that in an year or two, computers will have relatively higher sizing and poor performance would be better tolerated, I appeal that Logos be sensitive to their customers and try to painstakingly optimize Logos 4, much like what Microsoft did with Windows Vista. I hope the readers and logos would be able to appreciate what I am saying.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:28 AM

Ben Vargh:

I am in a country where a laptop and broadband is a luxury. I was privileged to own Logos 3  and a laptop albeit with much difficulty. Come Logos 4, and my laptop is not very usable with it. I appeal that rather than taking the approach that in an year or two, computers will have relatively higher sizing and poor performance would be better tolerated, I appeal that Logos be sensitive to their customers and try to painstakingly optimize Logos 4, much like what Microsoft did with Windows Vista. I hope the readers and logos would be able to appreciate what I am saying.

Bradley has said that their is still some further optimization to go, so they are working on it.

Posts 26364
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:57 AM

If you hadn't mentioned Vista in the same breath ...Big Smile

But I appreciate the way you make your point, because beta testers and other customers have made it very clear that L4 is not as efficient as L3 in some ways (or just sluggish!). But we also have to appreciate Logos' design goals and that the uptake of Netbooks was not anticipated when those goals were formulated. They also overlooked the possibility that other countries had capped, expensive broadband networks. Steps have been taken to alleviate those issues, but I and other testers had to increase our download limit and/or not download at certain times of the month! I also note that many customers have experienced very slow "broadband" download speeds. Logos are in the process of reacting to requests for DVD installations because of these experiences, and also because they promised that it would be possible to install and maintain L4 where there is little or no Internet.

Steps have already been taken to optimise L4 in some key areas and we can expect further improvements as time goes by eg. some tools are resource hungry because of the unnecessarily voluminous output. But I have not found L4 to need any more memory than L3, but it will take advantage of installations with 4GB or more ie. 64-bit OS, and definitely makes use of multi-core CPU's. But this is where the Vista analogy ends, because Logos are planning to keep the same product name with their "painstakingly optimized" software!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 36
Ben Vargh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 3:36 PM

Thanks Dave for all the re-assurance. I have only the highest praises and thanks to Logos so far in my relationship with them. I trust that they continue to keep it up. I also personally like L4 fully and believe that they have done an extremely good job going for a redesign from scratch. You will note that the only point I have made is that this be optimized - this will have heavy pay-offs even on high-end machines.

Posts 9009
LogosEmployee

Ben Vargh:

You will note that the only point I have made is that this be optimized - this will have heavy pay-offs even on high-end machines.

Optimisation is definitely something we ran out of time to complete before shipping 4.0, but is high on our list for future releases. In SR-4, one of our developers reduced the time taken to suggest Hebrew untransliterations from 55s to 250ms. This is (obviously) an extreme example--most optimisations don't have so great a payoff--but we hope to add minor (to major) improvements across the app.

Posts 43
Steve Burrow | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 7:48 PM

Yea Bradley.

Now get back to work!!!! Cool

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 12:47 AM

Bradley Grainger:

Ben Vargh:

You will note that the only point I have made is that this be optimized - this will have heavy pay-offs even on high-end machines.

Thanks Logos...much appreciated.

Optimisation is definitely something we ran out of time to complete before shipping 4.0, but is high on our list for future releases. In SR-4, one of our developers reduced the time taken to suggest Hebrew untransliterations from 55s to 250ms. This is (obviously) an extreme example--most optimisations don't have so great a payoff--but we hope to add minor (to major) improvements across the app.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS