A plea for the bibliographic report to be reinstated

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 52 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 4:06 PM

I'm working on a web script that generates old Logos 3-style bibliographic reports. Basically you upload a largish (10-40Mb) file from your computer, and my server would generate the report (with covers if you want). It works for me, but will need quite a bit of tweaking to make it secure enough for others to use it too. I don't mind doing it if people would find it useful. How many people would find it so?

Posts 32
Adam Couturier | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 5:03 PM

I would love to see this bibliographic report get a bit more robust myself.  Would it be possible to make it compatible with a program like zotero?  I would also like to see the notes function with Zotero.  This would greatly increase both of these features for me.

just my $.02

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 4:03 AM

As I understand it, Zotero accepts a BibTex import, which is one of the L3 formats. So if I get this working, then Zotero should be happy. I'm not sure I have access to all the data though. Volume number, in particular appears to be missing.

Posts 32
Adam Couturier | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 5:05 AM

Mark, it does accept BibTex import, and I did add all of my V3 sources; however, it would be nice to eliminate a step in transferring that information to Zotero.  I would also love to see the notes work in conjunction with Zotero.  That would beef up the usefulness Logos notes greatly.

Posts 412
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 5:32 AM

Joan Korte:

Could it include, if possible, a column for "Collections" so that we can see if our resources are all in collections or if some have fallen between the cracks?

I miss this too.  I'm not a "rules-based" thinker, and I'd like to be able to check my collections to see if they are what I really want.

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 188
Kevin Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:06 PM

PLEEEEEEEEASE bring it back.  1000 pleases with 1,000,000 thank you Jesus' sprinkled on top.  This is a big feature

Logos 5, Windows & Android perfect together....

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 4:34 PM

I've built a web-based bibliographic report for Logos4, and I'm looking for testers. If you're interested, visit this post: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6137.aspx

Posts 12
Kevin M. Shaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 12:10 PM

Can you where to find this series on "how to build sermons with Logos"?

Thanks,

Kevin M. Shaw

pastor@denverhouseofworship.org

Posts 3809
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 12:23 PM

Larry Heflin:

Another yes on ISBNs.

Did L3 give the ISBN? If L4 doesn't have this information then could a link be put on the resource page that searches isbndb.com for the title?

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 1:07 PM

KevinMShaw:
Can you where to find this series on "how to build sermons with Logos"?

Kevin: I'm not sure what you're referring to. Do you mean this? http://www.4-14.org.uk/how-i-prepare-a-sermon

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 1:14 PM

I'm considering using ThingTitle to try and get an ISBN, and have a permissions request in to do so. But the isbndb.com API looks even better. That could theoretically mean that I could display a 'best-guess' ISBN in the bibliographic report (no need for a link). I'll look into it.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 1:35 PM

Philip Spitzer:
Did L3 give the ISBN?

Not directly, but there was a way to extract them and then upload that file to LibraryThing.

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 1 2009 3:56 PM

Here's how Mark's script/web page helped me out a lot.

I signed up for an account on his blog, emailed him to get the link, then uploaded my file.  I have about 1700 resources, but a fast connection, so it took maybe 5 minutes to upload.  Mark also pointed out that once the file is uploaded, I can sign in and regenerate various reports - no need to upload again.

[Mark, do you have a limit on access to your page?  I've gotten what I need, but if I need it again, I (and hopefully others) could reimburse you somewhat.]

Anyway, after the upload, I was taken to a very useful page summarizing the # of resources I have, which also explained a possible discrepancy from what my Library in Logos 4 reports (interlinears, etc are not included in the Logos 4 Library resource count). There are five report options - Tables (with covers), APA, BibTex, Titles Only, and CSV.  I tried Tables (with covers), which took a little while to load, but not too long, and CSV.  BibTex export initially had a comma issue but Mark promptly fixed it when I emailed him. 

After his fix, I downloaded the BibTex file again and imported it to Zotero.  The import worked great, and now I have all my Logos 4 resources in Zotero (except for 10-12, which imported blank, though they show up correctly in the reports).  This enables easy citation in research papers, or just keeping track of which books I own to avoid buying duplicates.

Note: the tables/BibTex/other reports do not include publication location/place data.  Possibly Libronix 3 pulled this "place" field directly (and slowly) from the resources one by one, but this data is not available to us at the moment.  This is a minor issue, but I wanted to mention it.  For the resources I'll be using, I can look that up and manually edit the 10-20 entries.

Thanks for creating a great tool, Mark!

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 3:16 PM

Mark Barnes:

I've built a web-based bibliographic report for Logos4, and I'm looking for testers. If you're interested, visit this post: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/6137.aspx

Mark,

Thank you!  I used it and it worked great! 

After I used it I got to thinking.  Since our L4 resources are now available in L3 format... could we not just go back to L3 (once we've downloaded our L4 resources there) and create a biblio. report?

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 10:36 PM

Yes, we can. But not all of us have all our resources in L3, and a few resources are not available in L3 anyway.

Posts 31
Josh Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 4:48 PM

While Excel like features might come in handy, as a student I regularly use Logos for papers. Being able to create a bib in Turabian (or Chicago or MLA depending on my instructor) of all the resources I've used is a big time saver as well as one of the features that immediately impresses friends who I show the software to. For me at least, it was fine how it was in L3 although, I certainly wouldn't fight added features such as Excel.

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 6:40 PM

I don't need Logos to become another bibliographic tool. There are already plenty of those. But being able to export to BibTex so Zotero can read it in would be great.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 7:17 PM

Rosie Perera:

I don't need Logos to become another bibliographic tool. There are already plenty of those. But being able to export to BibTex so Zotero can read it in would be great.

Definitely agreed.  CSV, Bibtex, and how about just plain Biblio's in the extant formats already present.  I no longer need these with regularity, but yes please.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 56
Seth Huckstead | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 12:57 PM

It would be nice if this report were a standardized citation format, such as BibTex. That way we could use our citation management software. 

Posts 18668
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2010 1:27 PM

Seth Huckstead:

It would be nice if this report were a standardized citation format, such as BibTex. That way we could use our citation management software. 

Seth, many months have gone by since anyone last posted on that thread. In the meantime 4.1 has shipped and brought with it full Print/Export capability. A bibliographic report can be generated in BibTex format by exporting a collection that contains your entire library (use a rule such as rating:>=0,or title:*, or simply just * and it will match everything in your library).

You can either select BibTex style on the left (or any of the other formats) and then copy to clipboard or save as one of the document formats, or save as BibTex (which I think overrides any selection you made on the left).

EDIT: For more info on the Print/Export command, see http://wiki.logos.com/Print$2fExport

Page 2 of 3 (53 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS