Prioritizing and 'starring'

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:43 PM

DavidEgolf:
Thus, I have his commentary with lots of stars in order to grab my attention should he show up in a list.  On the other hand, his approach is homolitic and I usually prefer to use more analytical resources for deep study.

Depends what you are after but I would use stars in conjunction with tagging (mytag) because I rate a resource within a category eg. some commentaries (type:commentary) are really Bible Notes so I tag them as such (mytag:notes) and rate them within that category. So instead of being a one star commentary it becomes a three star notes resource.

Or you can keep the (high) rating and have separate collections for homolitic and analytical but I would tag the volumes to simplify selection eg. mytag:homolitic.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:48 PM

DavidEgolf:

Thank you for your quick reply.

To further explain my technique, I happen to really like J. Vernon McGee.  Thus, I have his commentary with lots of stars in order to grab my attention should he show up in a list.  On the other hand, his approach is homolitic and I usually prefer to use more analytical resources for deep study.

Can someone suggest an alternate, perhaps better, use of the stars?

Hi David, prioritization will get you what you want to make sure J. Vernon McGee's books show up higher in the list when you do a passage guide.

Generally people use stars to limit searches to only those books they've rated higher than a certain rating. The search results can be overwhelming otherwise.

To limit your search to just high-rated resources, you'd have to have spent some time starring everything appropriately first. Some people use a scheme whereby they don't have to think and decide all at once how to rate things by giving a certain rating which means "not rated yet." I assign stars as follows:

0 stars - just purchased, haven't had time to do anything with it yet (though I usually do them right away so they don't stay in this state for very long)
1 star - I really don't think this resource is very valuable and would usually chose to ignore it, but I don't dislike it enough to hide it
2 stars - the rating I assign to everything as soon as I buy it, which means basically "I don't know yet what I think of this"
3 stars - good
4 stars - very good
5 stars - outstanding, one of my favorite resources

Now to actually do a limited search based on ratings you could use the "Search In" field to enter just a particular rating (if you wanted to search only 5 star resources, for example):

But this isn't very flexible, as it doesn't let you search through all resources with a rating of, say, 4 stars or more. To do that, you'd create a collection of all resources matching that criterion, and then select the name of that collection for the "Search In" field. Here's how you'd create such a collection. You'd use the rule rating:>=4. Here I've named this collection "Rating >= 4" but you could name it whatever you want.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 8:57 PM

Dave Hooton:

Or you can keep the (high) rating and have separate collections for homolitic and analytical but I would tag the volumes to simplify selection eg. mytag:homolitic.

Sorry to be a nitpicker on spelling, but in the case of this word it really matters since it's a key word one might want to search for to use in building collections, etc. It's homiletic, not homolitic. The former has to do with homilies. The latter...well, we won't go there.

(Sorry, I didn't mean to be "humilitic" -- a word I just coined -- i.e., to be embarrassing to you. Smile)

Posts 782
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 5 2010 9:09 PM

Hi Rosie,

Thank you for your rating system.  Sounds like something I will try.

In defense of Dave, I misled him by starting the misspelling of homilitic!  My spell checker on FireFox didn't provide me with any help and I was the one who goofed. Thus, I am the one who should be embarrassed.

-- David

Posts 27232
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 6 2010 1:38 AM

DavidEgolf:
In defense of Dave, I misled him

Yes, you did!

It's interesting that Martha is being bugged by non-homiletics in her Homiletics collection and FF doesn't like the spelling. So I also figured she knew what it was supposed to beBig Smile

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS