Is there a way to integrate S.T.E.P. format books with LOGOS 4?

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 9
Ken Pomaiba | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:32 AM

Hi all,

I just upgraded from ver 3 to ver 4.  Not the smoothest transition yet, as it crashes every few minutes on my desktop but seems to run fine on my laptop (when I have time I'll activate the log and send it to LOGOS).  Right now I'm too busy with actual weekly lesson preparation to have much time left for the "learning curve" so will have to stay on ver 3 most of the time, but hopefully it will be a great move once I get settled in.

Here's my situation - I moved to Logos 3 a couple years ago from a competitor's product when Vista came along and rendered the "old" software obsolete on my laptop, and one of the things I lost in the move was the collection of Macarthur commentaries I had purchased for the other product which are in "S.T.E.P" format.  "STEP" was presented by the other software company as a format that would easily integrate between numerous programs, and I hoped to someday afford the move to LOGOS, so it sounded like a good thing at the time.  But I never took the time to figure out if LOGOS 3 might work with it and just continued to use the hard copy versions of the commentaries I had previously purchased.  But it would have been really nice to have them online.

I know that LOGOS offers the purchase of the commentaries for $330, but after spending a bunch once to get the hard copies and a second time as an add-on for the other software I am not in a position to spend a couple hundred dollars more to purchase them a THIRD time.  I can always continue to use my hard copies (and the other software on my XP machine), but I'd really prefer to go "all LOGOS" without having to purchase the same resourse three different times.  Does any one know if the STEP format books can somehow be used in any way in LOGOS?

I appreciate any insight you might have, as well as all the info on this forum.  Thanks much and God Bless!

Ken

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:47 AM

Sorry, no. 

STEP has never been compatible with Logos, and there's no indication that L4 will be any different.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 690
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 8:05 AM

I am amazed that you (and a few others) are reporting crashes. I had some crashes on Beta 1, but not even once since Beta 2. I think there were a total of 10 Betas, a few RC's, and then the final product. 3 computers, never a crash since that first Beta.

I know that does not make you feel any better, but something does not seem right here. One of my computers is 5 years old and while V4 is not a snappy on that one, it does work fine.

I would contact Logos tech support. They are excellent and will do what it takes to help you. You might start by sending your logs via this forum and go from there. Keep in mind that they are pretty busy right now.

Jerry

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 1721
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:07 AM

Ken:

So, it seems QuickVerse (or at least the version you have) won't work in Vista? If true, you might check to see if E-Sword (which is free) works in Vista, as it has a STEP reader. That STEP interface is primitive, but it would at least give you some electronic access to your MacArthur files.

Win 10 Android 9 Fire OS 5

Posts 1928
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:19 AM

It used to be that WordSearch was a STEP reader as well. I used to us WS because the Quickverse interface went through a period that it was so bad! I don't know what it is like anymore, because I ditched it all in 2001 for Logos.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:29 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

It used to be that WordSearch was a STEP reader as well. I used to us WS because the Quickverse interface went through a period that it was so bad! I don't know what it is like anymore, because I ditched it all in 2001 for Logos.

What about the new version of PBBs? It would be nice to be able to transfer STEP files and maybe even pdf? I would not clutter my Logos with all the pdf''s, but some things I would really like to have in the Logos Library. But that's whole new discussion subject.

Bohuslav

Posts 2703
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 10:05 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
It used to be that WordSearch was a STEP reader as well.

Yes you got that right! You may be charge a really SMALL fee to convert into WS.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 60
Richard Crampton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 10:29 AM

I'm still using Wordsearch 5 to read step books.  It worked in Vista and still works in Windows 7.   I keep it because there are books I don't want repurchase or upgrade.  Wordsearch used to give away a free copy of version 5 and I still have it if someone needs it

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:15 PM
Bohuslav Wojnar:

What about the new version of PBBs? It would be nice to be able to transfer STEP files and maybe even pdf? I would not clutter my Logos with all the pdf''s, but some things I would really like to have in the Logos Library. But that's whole new discussion subject.

Catuion: Copyrighted material shouldn't be put into PBB format unless you hold the copyright.
Posts 9
Ken Pomaiba | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:52 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your quick responses.  I had a feeling that my STEP files were not compatible but at least now I know for sure.  Looks like my subtle "other software" reference was easy to see through...!  I could probably use another program as some have suggested but probably will just stick with the actual books for now.  I considered converting to personal books as well but, as was mentioned, not sure that would constitute "fair use" so will steer clear for copyright reasons.

Jerry, thanks for the suggestion to post log files here - in fairness to the program, I just loaded it on my desktop which has ALL KINDS of other stuff on it and haven't yet loaded the newest update, so it could be me or my PC and not the program.  So far I've found that it runs only a couple minutes and then gives me the "has encountered an error and has to close" routine.  But no issues yet on the laptop at all.  Once I get my study done for this Sunday I hope to have more time to dig in.

I'll look forward to learning a lot from everyone on here while I'm digging in on my own.  Sure appreciate all the fast responses here and hope I can help others down the road as well.  Thanks again and take care, everyone,

Ken

Posts 3
JNG | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:43 AM

Can you explain how you got Wordsearch 5 to work in Vista / Windows 7.  I still like that interface better than WS8, Logos 3/4, etc. 

I can't get WS5 to work in either but would love to be able to use it again.  I have a number of their CDs (from memory, lots of versions with letters at the end like 5.0A- 5.0K?) but perhaps you have a version I don't have.

If you'd rather carry this conversation offline, I'd be happy to do that also.

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 2:15 PM

Don:
Bohuslav Wojnar:

Catuion: Copyrighted material shouldn't be put into PBB format unless you hold the copyright.

Yes, you are right. However, firstly, I was not speaking about the copyrighted materials. Secondly, there are 2 versions of PBB Book Builder. The one that makes PBBs for anybody who has the key to read PBB files. The second version, the private one (that is the one I have) is to create files just for the personal use. It is not possible to see the file by any other Logos user. So you are not breaking any law, since you are not publishing anything.

Bohuslav

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 2:55 PM
Bohuslav Wojnar:

Don:
Bohuslav Wojnar:

Yes, you are right. However, firstly, I was not speaking about the copyrighted materials. Secondly, there are 2 versions of PBB Book Builder. The one that makes PBBs for anybody who has the key to read PBB files. The second version, the private one (that is the one I have) is to create files just for the personal use. It is not possible to see the file by any other Logos user. So you are not breaking any law, since you are not publishing anything.

Please forgive me, I was thinking about the PBBs that everyone could read. Also, I was not aware that there were STEP files that were not produced commercially nor under copyright.
Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 20 2009 3:05 PM

JNG:

Can you explain how you got Wordsearch 5 to work in Vista / Windows 7.  I still like that interface better than WS8, Logos 3/4, etc. 

I can't get WS5 to work in either but would love to be able to use it again.  I have a number of their CDs (from memory, lots of versions with letters at the end like 5.0A- 5.0K?) but perhaps you have a version I don't have.

Running a virtual machine under Windows 7 you should be able to install WS4 or WS5 (I think both can read STEP books.)

I don't think Vista can do much of anything very well...... No

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2
Dennis Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 12:16 PM

Hello Richard,

I saw that you answered in a previous post that you might have a copy, so I am answering here in hopes that you are still following this. 

If you have a copy of the free version of Wordsearch V5, I would love to get my hands on a copy of it.  Please let me know if you still can provide this.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2010 12:46 PM

Ken, when I first changed to Logos4 I hated it and wondered what sort of silly mistake I'd made moving from my beloved Logos3 to this monster.  Now I love it and only use Logos3 on my old mini laptop when travelling.  I think you'll love it.  There was a problem with crashing at the beginning, solved by the next update.  I think you'll come to love Logos4 once you get to know it.

Matthew, my ISP works with Vista, but not with Windows7!  There's a driver update that might or might not make the USB modem that you have to use with the software work with Windows 7.  I might try it sometime, but unless and until that happens, I stick with Vista!  My ISP doesn't work too well, with Vista or anything else, full stop.  But the best alternative is about $100 a month, which I'm NOT intending to pay!  But thank God for internet.  When I arrived 17 years ago there was one phone in the village, on which we could receive calls but not make them, and even that got stolen (they stole the line for wire) in the riots in 97.  Now we have internet, sort of, and cell phones and all sorts.  And I'm way off topic....  3 cheers for Logos!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS