If you were stranded on a desert island what would you do about this??

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 16 2012 12:21 AM

Howdy Logos community!

Imagine that you are stranded on a lonely desert island with just your trusty laptop and Scholar's Silver installed.

An angel of God comes and offers you three coconuts, an everlasting battery, and a choice of one out of two resources to add to your collection:

BDAG  or

Steve Runge's Discourse Greek New Testament

Which would you choose?

Posts 1634
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:13 AM

I would pick the Bauer.  It is a time tested gold mine for New Testament Greek.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Basic, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:24 AM

the battery

... I can't read that fast

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:27 AM

I wonder if understanding words in context is not better than looking them up in a lexicon. That is why I am having a mental conflict about it. Obviously, I like the BDAG. I have an older dead tree copy right here by my desk. It's just that I can't decide which would help me understand the NT better at this time. Is the word study method more essential or the discourse literary method?

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:56 AM

Kendall Sholtess:

Imagine that you are stranded on a lonely desert island with just your trusty laptop and Scholar's Silver installed.

An angel of God comes and offers you three coconuts, an everlasting battery, and a choice of one out of two resources to add to your collection:

BDAG  or

Steve Runge's Discourse Greek New Testament

Think I'd actually prefer a good commentary on Revelation so I had something to look forward to!

Which would you choose?

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 184
Paul Chatfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 8:23 AM

Ha ha Graham - I like your suggestion - would it be a postmillennial version to make you cheery or a pretrib premill version so that you'd miss the tribulation?

Hmm, sorry, Kendall.  This is meant to be a discussion on which of the 2 books is better.  I can't help you with that.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 8:42 AM

Kendall Sholtess:
Obviously, I like the BDAG. I have an older dead tree copy right here by my desk. It's just that I can't decide which would help me understand the NT better at this time. Is the word study method more essential or the discourse literary method?

Scholar's Platinum includes BDAG plus => Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research 

Wiki Logos Resource Reviews has => Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament with links to some Logos.com product pages.

Thankful for Logos visual filter highlighting, which can show range of verb usage in a passage.

By the way, pre-publication => Lexham Discourse Hebrew Bible Bundle (6 vols.) is still gathering interest; needs more pre-orders for Logos production.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 37
Nina Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 8:44 AM

I would choose the battery then eat the coconuts!!  Paradise

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 8:47 AM

Kendall Sholtess:
An angel of God comes and offers you three coconuts,

This one is easy.  I would take the everlasting battery and appeal to the Angel for an upgrade to Portfolio Edition.

Here is why:

If God cared enough to send a special messenger to little ol' me in this unlikely theophany, it shows me God really wants me to know Him better. If that is the case, I really would not need BDAG or Steve Runge's contributions. (No offense Dr. Steve Wink)

I would worry just a little that the battery was "everlasting."  Is there something the Angel is not telling me?

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2837
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 8:48 AM

BDAG for sure.  I understand that the battery and Scholar's Silver are included.  The choice is only for the third item:  BDAG or Runge's DGNT.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 8:50 AM

Both are good...I would start with BDAG and then add the discourse. Would a payment plan make getting both an option, it's something you might want to consider.

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 11:09 AM

Paul Chatfield:
would it be a postmillennial version to make you cheery or a pretrib premill version so that you'd miss the tribulation?

I'm pre millennium because I don't like pain!

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 1:27 PM

What an interesting question!  Of the two, I'd have to go with the Lexham, simply because that's what I use more of in my library.  But, there's other resources I'd much prefer to take - probably either the Interpretation Commentary Series or the AYBD.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 6585
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 2:45 PM

Sorry folks, I'm going with the coconut. I can eat one, plant the other, (get more coconuts) how are you going to use Logos if you are too hungry to read the laptop. After I have eaten, I will pray, meditate on the beauty of nature, Psalm 19, and start writing memory verses and what they mean in the sand, on the trees, and other place that I can to pass the time.

Did I mention, writing a book of my experience on the leaves of my coconut trees?

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 6585
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 2:47 PM

And when I finally get rescued, because I have had so much time to write and memorize my works, I will put it on prepub for a small fee. Hey the bills have to be paid. Big Smile

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2837
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 3:32 PM

Graham Owen:

I'm pre millennium because I don't like pain!

Yes

Just my luck.  I am Pre-mil, too.  But I am Historic Premil, like George Ladd.  I get to be Pre-mil, but have to keep the pain.  Tongue Tied

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 3:56 PM

Guys,

The coconuts and battery are included, it's only the two resources that you need to choose from.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think my conundrum is choosing between big details (sentences, paragraphs, etc.)  and small details (individual words). I only have about $150 to spend, and I just already upgraded to Silver. I'm significantly poorer that some folks, so it may be years before I reach Portfolio.

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 4:10 PM

Keep Smiling,

Wonderful graphics! I wish I could spend the money for the upgrade and Hebrew bundle. I'll only be spending around $150 though. So does your preference lie with big picture (sentence/paragraph) or word studies?

Posts 1509
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 4:17 PM

Kendall Sholtess:

Keep Smiling,

Wonderful graphics! I wish I could spend the money for the upgrade and Hebrew bundle. I'll only be spending around $150 though. So does your preference lie with big picture (sentence/paragraph) or word studies?

Kendall, a very wise person once told me never to buy a resource that is in a base package you might one day upgrade to.

Posts 2961
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 4:57 PM

bdag

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Page 1 of 3 (47 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS