If you were stranded on a desert island what would you do about this??

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 5:37 PM

Kendall Sholtess:

Imagine that you are stranded on a lonely desert island with just your trusty laptop and Scholar's Silver installed.

An angel of God comes and offers you three coconuts, an everlasting battery, and a choice of one out of two resources to add to your collection:

BDAG  or

Steve Runge's Discourse Greek New Testament

What?!!  No Mary Ann?  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 5:45 PM

Kendall Sholtess:
The coconuts and battery are included, it's only the two resources that you need to choose from.

Well in that case I would go with Dr. Steve, of course I figure between the two of us we might get it right. Left to myself, you never know what I may come up with. Surprise

And I would wrestle that Angel until he gave me an upgrade to Portfolio Edition or he would never get off that island either.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 67
Ruminator | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 5:46 PM

Deserts don't have islands...

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 5:54 PM

George Somsel:

Kendall Sholtess:

Imagine that you are stranded on a lonely desert island with just your trusty laptop and Scholar's Silver installed.

An angel of God comes and offers you three coconuts, an everlasting battery, and a choice of one out of two resources to add to your collection:

BDAG  or

What?!!  No Mary Ann?  Big Smile

Unfortunately, no Mary Ann nor Norma Jean offered. Wink

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 6:01 PM

Steve like Super Tramp that angel will have to get me off that island or stay with me. I already have bdag so I will have to let Dr. Runge keep my company.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 7:11 PM

Kendall Sholtess:

Keep Smiling,

Wonderful graphics! I wish I could spend the money for the upgrade and Hebrew bundle. I'll only be spending around $150 though. So does your preference lie with big picture (sentence/paragraph) or word studies?

Appropriate resource(s) to purchase are one(s) that you will use.

Currently, the pre-publication => Lexham Discourse Hebrew Bible Bundle (6 vols.) is only available for pre-ordering to express interest in resource development. Suspect order charge will not be processed for many months (or longer).  Enough pre-orders need to be placed so Logos knows enough people are interested in buying resource so development can proceed.  If (when) resource finally ships, then order would be charged (with option to cancel order before shipment or return within 30 days after shipment if resource not useful).

English is not Greek; many words have different range of meaning and nuances.  Greek has a wider range of verbal expression and nuances compared to English.  Words have meaning in context.  Years ago remember using an Analytical Greek Lexicon to look up most words in Jude as part of a translation exercise.  At the time, I did not think about highlighting different verbal usage throughout the book.  With Logos 4 visual filters for Greek morphology, now I can quickly see range of verbal expression in Greek and English Reverse Interlinear resources; later part of Jude has many imperative verb moods.  Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament (LDGNT) provides discourse contextual relationships between thought groupings by an author.  Also Thankful for emphasis tagging of Greek words in LDGNT so can ponder what is being emphasized since these words are not in nominal expected order.

Forum thread => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/33835/253803.aspx#253803 plus following replies includes my opinion about BDAG along with my preference for couple other lexicons and Louw-Nida.  Am aware other Logos users greatly appreciate and use BDAG.  Personally dreaming about an updated BDAG whose formatting is easier to read along with tagging for Perseus collection => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/32633/243659.aspx#243659 (perhaps integrating Louw-Nida)

By the way, "The NET Bible" has footnotes, which can have items to ponder (e.g. translation of the name Jesus in Matthew 1:18):

For a word study of Jesus, personally found bit more to ponder in the Net Bible First Edition Notes and Vines compared to BDAG, which is a scholarly compilation of dictionary definitions for Greek word usage across a lot of literature.  Apologies: I'm bewildered by many BDAG abbr. references for Jesus Christ, which reminds me of expression: "That's Greek to me" (beyond my current comprehension).

Thankful Scholar's Platinum has => Grammar of the Greek New Testament in the Light of Historical Research

Scholar's Gold includes my favorite commentary series => UBS New Testament Handbook Series and => UBS Old Testament Handbook Series that provides many insights about what is important for translation without requiring original language mastery.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 9:08 PM

Thanks Keep Smiling! That is very helpful. I did bid on the Hebrew bundle as well, and I really am hoping to have the cash when it comes around. Smile

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 9:30 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Forum thread => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/33835/253803.aspx#253803 plus following replies includes my opinion about BDAG along with my preference for couple other lexicons and Louw-Nida.  Am aware other Logos users greatly appreciate and use BDAG.  Personally dreaming about an updated BDAG whose formatting is easier to read along with tagging for Perseus collection => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/32633/243659.aspx#243659 (perhaps integrating Louw-Nida)

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus ::
Personally prefer Greek interlinear display with Greek manuscript and Louw-Nida #'s so can hover mouse over Louw-Nida # for semantic domain English gloss pop-up (more insight than literal translation):

I don't particularly like L & N since they tend to pick your understanding of the word for you rather than giving you the opportunity to exercise your own judgment.  With BDAG you can see not only the glosses but a full definition with citations of its use in various texts.  One should not simply look through the glosses to find one you like.  You should examine the evidence presented in BDAG regarding the context in which words are used to determine a word's usage.  Sometimes something like the use of a preposition with a word can tip the balance in favor of one interpretation and against another.  This is why I wouldn't give either Strongs, an analytical or Barkley-Newman the time of day.  Runge's Discourse Grammar is useful, but first you should have BDAG.  You cannot do proper work in the GNT without BDAG.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 241
Kendall Sholtess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2012 10:13 PM

Maybe my struggle is really between "cool" and "useful." I just find linguistics to be so cool. Perhaps I need more calmer, mature brains to advise me. That's why I asked you guys. I haven't placed the order yet, so I still have time to think. Thank you very much. Have a virtual coffee on me (or tea, if you're English). Coffee

Posts 6323
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 8:51 AM

Kendall Sholtess:

Howdy Logos community!

BDAG  or

Which would you choose?

I know it's an OLD thread, but I just came across it due to reading something similar about being stranded in a desert island (http://community.logos.com/forums/t/81062.aspx).

What exactly were you trying to say? (assuming the OP is still alive and roaming the forums...LOL): Do we automatically get an everlasting battery and three coconuts - and then we just have to choose between BDAG or Steve Runge's DGNT? OR...did you mean to say, we have to choose between an everlasting battery or the three coconuts or one of the two between BDAG and DGNT? It seems like everybody understood the post differently.  By the way, will the coconuts last forever too? If not could we add a harpoon to fish or an everlasting fishing net and the ability to have a bonfire every night to cook and also drinking water; or else, we won't last that long...LOL

Assuming we only get to pick one, I'd say I'd go for the everlasting battery (hoping it will make the laptop everlasting too, if not, the laptop e.g. hard drive, etc. will give out and then there's no point in having an everlasting battery).  But if we automatically get the battery and coconuts, I'd say I'd go for BDAG.

Amazing how people can read the same thing differently...LOL

DAL

Posts 2916
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 9:39 AM

BDAG

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 10:29 AM

I would ask the angel of God personally if every time I noticed him in the Bible, it was Jesus (assuming he would tell me the truth).

Then I would beg for shade, endless supply of nutritious food/water, my wife, and probably the ESV with Bible Notes for starters.

I would also respectfully ask why just three coconuts?

Hopefully I would not get a lecture about God's grace being sufficient Smile

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 10:32 AM

What is a BDAG anyway?  Sounds useless.  Do we get free suntan lotion and cool clean water and nutritious food and shark-free swims too?

Posts 2760
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 11:18 AM

Well, I would take the everlasting battery and pray for rescue. Then I would use the battery to power some type of signal mechanism or to create sparks for a fire (since it's everlasting, no concern about burning it out). Then, once someone eventually noticed the fire/smoke and sent rescue, I would sell the use of the battery to the scientific community for a fortune for a limited amount of time. With the fortune, I would build up the deserted Island and populate it with a few communities. I may even move my family there. Big Smile

Oh, and of course, I would buy Logos entire library of resources (current and future) and fund the RD for a networked multi-user version.

Posts 6323
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 12:34 PM

JoshInRI:

What is a BDAG anyway?  Sounds useless. 

Good joke! Big SmileYou almost had me there for a minuteStick out tongue...hmmm, you're not serious, are you? Hmm

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 3:03 PM

DAL:

JoshInRI:

What is a BDAG anyway?  Sounds useless. 

Good joke! Big SmileYou almost had me there for a minuteStick out tongue...hmmm, you're not serious, are you? Hmm

Now you are making me wonder the same thing!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 3:25 PM

BDAG is useless if Steve Runge is around, Wink.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 4:00 PM

Alex Bui:

I think we can make Steve Runge into a round.

(To the tune of Frère Jacques)

Steven Runge, Steven Runge,
Where are you?
Where are you?
Bible texts are waiting,
Bible texts are waiting.
Ding, daing dong
Ding, Daing, dong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC6rvbxdywg

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 4:00 PM

Alex Bui:

Where are you?
Where are you?
Bible texts are waiting,
Bible texts are waiting.
Ding, daing dong
Ding, Daing, dong.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 8 2014 4:22 PM

George Somsel:

Alex Bui:

Where are you?
Where are you?
Bible texts are waiting,
Bible texts are waiting.
Ding, daing dong
Ding, Daing, dong.

Where are Romans?

Where are Romans?

We're waiting for so long.

Bring it out of pre-pub.

Ding, Dang, Dong.

Ding, Dang, Dong.

Just kidding.  We love you, Dr. Runge, Smile.

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS