Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 29 2009 2:46 AM

I created a Reading books Workspace and it would be great if that particular workspace would save automatically in changing the workspace to some other one (or exiting the Logos). If it is not possible, than one-click-icon would do the job (as a second best solution) also. Thanks for any ideas.

Bohuslav

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 2:50 AM

I agree completely. An auto save workspace feature would be excellent. I'm sure it is possible to create an icon that does this, but I don't have the know how or the time to learn how.

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 2:55 AM

Yes. I tried to create the icon and it allows me to get to the menu to choose the workspace I want to save. It means you have to click few times. Also, automated saving of the Workspace exists, but than you are stuck with that workspace for the next session of Logos. That is not what I mean. The solution would be an option, to be able to automatically save just that particular workspace you choose. It would not make it your default workspace.

Bohuslav

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 6:38 AM

Bohuslav,

Putting a button on a toolbar is the easiest way to do this (for now, at least). There is no 'autosave' feature for workspaces. Once you exit or overwrite your workspace it's lost. I've done it more than once.

Maybe this could be added as a suggestion in the suggestion forum?

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 12:26 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Bohuslav,

Putting a button on a toolbar is the easiest way to do this (for now, at least). There is no 'autosave' feature for workspaces. Once you exit or overwrite your workspace it's lost. I've done it more than once.

Maybe this could be added as a suggestion in the suggestion forum?

Thanks Richard. Is there script we can use to just save the active workspace with one click without going to the menu and confirming 2, 3  questions? That would do before the version 4 comes and solves all of the issues Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 1:33 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
Thanks Richard. Is there script we can use to just save the active workspace with one click without going to the menu and confirming 2, 3  questions? That would do before the version 4 comes and solves all of the issues Smile

Not that I know of, Bohuslav. [heavy sigh.]

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 3:00 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Sure there is. A very simple one. Just change the string "myWorkSpace" in the script below to the name of the workspace that you want to save and then copy the script into a toolbar button.

var sWorkSpace = "myWorkSpace";
         utilSaveWorkspace(sWorkSpace, sWorkSpace + ".lbxwks");

But are you sure you  really want to do this? It's pretty easy to hit a toolbar button by accident.

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 4:23 PM

John McComb:
But are you sure you  really want to do this? It's pretty easy to hit a toolbar button by accident.

could you have the script save a backup of the old workspace as something like myworkspacebackup before writing over the old one?

Posts 27228
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 6:08 PM

Philip Spitzer:
could you have the script save a backup of the old workspace as something like myworkspacebackup before writing over the old one?

utilSaveWorkspace(sWorkSpace, "myworkspacebackup" + ".bkup");

I imagine you could get fancy with the filename to avoid confusion e.g.

utilSaveWorkspace(sWorkSpace, "backups\\myworkspacebackup" + ".bkup");

--> first create a folder "backups" in  'My Documents\Libronix DLS\Workspaces'

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 6:29 PM

Philip Spitzer:

John McComb:

Well sure you could. It takes a little more work but it's still pretty simple.

I.E.

var buWorkSpace = "myWorkSpaceBackUp"
  var sPath = Util.MakeManagedFilePathFromName(Application.UserFileManager, "Workspaces", sWorkSpace + ".lbxwks");
  var buPath = Util.MakeManagedFilePathFromName(Application.UserFileManager, "Workspaces", buWorkSpace + ".lbxwks");
  var wsDoc = utilLoadXMLDocument(sPath);
  utilSaveXMLDocument(wsDoc , buPath);

But I don't think that's going to be a whole lot of help in case of accidents because you still don't get any warning that anything out of the ordinary has happened. If you accidentally hit the button twice (which is a very real possibilty if you only save your workspace every once in a blue moon) then your backup is going to be corrupted as well.

If you're going to use it to save your place every day just before you quit (like a bookmark)  then I guess it shouldn't be much of a problem. However, if you're planning to save your workspaces sporadically in the middle of long sessions of library work then I recommend that you just create a standard "Save Workspace" button and live with the extra two mouse clicks.

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 6:36 PM

John McComb:
But I don't think that's going to be a whole lot of help in case of accidents because you still don't get any warning that anything out of the ordinary has happened.

I'm sure I could look up how to do this but you seem to know much better then I do. why not have a backup folder within your workspaces folder (as recommended above) and add a date and time stamp to it? i would recommend "yymmdd_hhmm_backup" so that they are easily sortable. of course I may be making this way too complicated.

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 6:48 PM

Philip Spitzer:

I'm sure I could look up how to do this but you seem to know much better then I do. why not have a backup folder within your workspaces folder (as recommended above) and add a date and time stamp to it? i would recommend "yymmdd_hhmm_backup" so that they are easily sortable. of course I may be making this way too complicated.

Yeah, you are. Now your solution to avoiding two mouse clicks is ceasing to be simple and you're introducing a file management problem (accumulating files on disk). Somebody might want to take a stab at that but that somebody wouldn't be me. Sorry.

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 11:15 PM

John McComb:

Sure there is. A very simple one. Just change the string "myWorkSpace" in the script below to the name of the workspace that you want to save and then copy the script into a toolbar button.

Yours in Christ

John

I am sorry John and all others for answering only now. Thank you so much for all your advice. As I was sleeping, you have been working on the other side of the ocean Smile Apparently we are in the Kingdom "...on which the sun never sets" (Where I have heard that before, Sir Ted? Wink )

I tried the first, most simple version, and it works exactly as needed. I am not afraid of hitting it accidentally, because I use backup every few days. The purpose of this tool is to be able to have, in some extend, a BookReading mode in Libronix. Just after I am finished with reading, I hit the button and I am done to be able to go to other Workspace or exit the Libronix. I think it gets as close as possible we can get to the better version of totally automated BookReading Mode (Version 4?) or sometimes in the future.

Now, if we can make the script to work only when present in the given "BookReading" Workspace, that would prevent an accident hitting in some BibleStudy Workspace. You think we can do that? I really appreciate your help. Thanks. Have a great day (or night, as it is now in the US).

Bohuslav

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2009 12:33 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

I tried the first, most simple version, and it works exactly as needed. I am not afraid of hitting it accidentally, because I use backup every few days. The purpose of this tool is to be able to have, in some extend, a BookReading mode in Libronix. Just after I am finished with reading, I hit the button and I am done to be able to go to other Workspace or exit the Libronix. I think it gets as close as possible we can get to the better version of totally automated BookReading Mode (Version 4?) or sometimes in the future.

Yeah, well that's cool. If your intent is to always hit the button as the last move before leaving the workspace then there really isn't any danger, is there? Any finger problems that accidentally overwrite your workspace are going to be overwritten at the end of your session anyway so no harm, no foul.

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Now, if we can make the script to work only when present in the given "BookReading" Workspace, that would prevent an accident hitting in some BibleStudy Workspace. You think we can do that? I really appreciate your help. Thanks. Have a great day (or night, as it is now in the US).

That's easy enough. Just put your save workspace button on its own private little toolbar and then remove the toolbar from the other workspaces (right click on the toolbars and uncheck the one that has your button). Don't forget to save each of those workspaces after you've made your "save workspace" toolbar invisible. If you remove a button from a workspace but neglect to to save the workspace afterwards the button will reappear the next time you load that workspace.

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2009 12:32 PM

John McComb:
That's easy enough. Just put your save workspace button on its own private little toolbar and then remove the toolbar from the other workspaces (right click on the toolbars and uncheck the one that has your button). Don't forget to save each of those workspaces after you've made your "save workspace" toolbar invisible. If you remove a button from a workspace but neglect to to save the workspace afterwards the button will reappear the next time you load that workspace.

Yes, that is actually great idea, and very simple to do. I think that is the way to go for now. I hope Logos version 4 will have much improved BookReading Mode. We will see. Thank you John for your great help. The only coding I can manage myself is HTML Smile Have a great day.

Bohuslav

Posts 129
John McComb | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 30 2009 1:50 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Yes, that is actually great idea, and very simple to do. I think that is the way to go for now. I hope Logos version 4 will have much improved BookReading Mode. We will see. Thank you John for your great help. The only coding I can manage myself is HTML Smile Have a great day.

You're welcome and thanks, I'll try to do that.

I'm just amazed that you were able to make sense out of that incoherent, mumbling blurt. "blah, blah, .... workspace.. mumble muble.. workspace ... ga ga .... workspace workspace... garble garble...  workspace". Sheesh, why don't I put a little more effort into proof reading these posts?

Yours in Christ

John

Posts 27228
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 31 2009 8:25 AM

John McComb:
I'm just amazed that you were able to make sense out of that incoherent, mumbling blurt. "blah, blah, .... workspace.. mumble muble.. workspace ... ga ga .... workspace workspace... garble garble...  workspace". Sheesh, why don't I put a little more effort into proof reading these posts?

There were more clues than (apostle) Paul gave his Greek readers!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2745
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 31 2009 2:03 PM

John McComb:

Yours in Christ

John

English is complicated to me anyway so I just took it for as it is. I assumed it have to be so Smile Thank you again for your help. It works perfect and I just can have a number of books opened and it just "freezes" them on the page I left them. Good enough before Version 4 comes.

Bohuslav

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS