Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 128
Terry Cook | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:09 PM

I've been using Logos products since the mid-90's. The format was primarily the same until the advent of L4. I purchased L4 and let it sit in the drawer until most of the bugs and features seemed to be worked out and then I installed it on my machine. It was different but I tried to get adjusted. Honestly, I did try but L3 was so much easier. Perhaps only because I was used to everything about L3 but it sure seemed easier. From time-to-time I try to use L4 but my blood pressure quickly elevates and I'm back to L3.

Today I found my newest puchases will no longer work on L3! So, with thousands of $$ invested I guess I'm forced to use L4. Maybe in the long run this will be a good thing but right now I feel like someone whose close friend was killed in an accident.

I have watched a few videos and tinkered a bit but L4 just doesn't seem to agree with me. Just moving windows around on the desktop is different and diagramming, one of my favorite pastimes, is different as well.

Oh well, just chalk me up as a whiner.

Terry Cook
sDg

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:17 PM

Firstly, Terry, I am very sorry for your disappointment. 

There has been lengthy discussion regarding this matter, here,

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/43165.aspx

I note that Bob offers comments and clarifications at a couple of points.

Andy

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:18 PM

Terry

Have you seen Mark Barnes' free videos? http://www.logos4training.com/videos/

Terry Cook:
diagramming, one of my favorite pastimes, is different as well.

To me, it is better, but YMMV.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:19 PM

I understand your feelings.  I personally do not get them because I have always kind of expected this.  There are way to many software packages out there that send out the next installment and the older one works just fine if not better sometimes.  but the company soon gives up the older version.  

In fact, we were just told maybe 2 weeks ago that Logos will not make anymore L3 books.  They are still supporting L3 just not new books.  I have purchased maple, mathematica, etc and they change....I really have given up learning a software program completely bexcause the next version is just around the corner and will turn things on its head. 

Trust me L4 will get better. 

William

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:20 PM

Well, whiner Wink there were a lot of us when we first encountered Logos 4. It takes a completely different way of thinking. I have come to value it more than Logos 3 even though I do miss some of that version's features. I also had to upgrade my computer to get it to perform satisfactorily. Overall I am glad I took the time and money to get up to speed in L4. I'm sure you will, too.

As Jack suggested, view Mark Barnes' video tutorials. You can enjoy his 'accent' even if you hate the software he's demonstrating.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:25 PM

Terry Cook:
Today I found my newest puchases will no longer work on L3!
Peace, Terry!        *smile*

Sorry about your pain, Dear Fellow!               However, they should work.  Would you might sharing what resources you're having problems with?  I keep my L3.0g going even though I never use it anymore; and I've been able to put recent purchases on it.

From what I've been reading on the Forums, almost everything produced by Logos up to now will work.  Although one might have to use the Logos FTP site to download in a worst-case scenario.

Psalm 147:3-5

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2012 1:45 PM

Terry Cook:
Today I found my newest puchases will no longer work on L3!

If Logos resource was initially released in 2012, concur new purchase is no longer available for Libronix 3.

Thankful still have option to purchase resources, which are new to me, but were released prior to 2012 that can be added to Libronix 3; along with return of previous version update.lbxupd scripts in my Logos.com orders => https://www.logos.com/user/orders

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24701
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2012 4:15 PM

Terry Cook:
Oh well, just chalk me up as a whiner.

But when you do "whine" it's not trivial because it means you can't do what you enjoy doing. My wife enjoys Logos 3 because it does what she wants fairly easily and I keep Logos 3 because I still like it! So use L4 for the new resources you can't read in Libronix. I'll admit it's not that simple because you'll have to put up with downloading all your resources + indexing and the occasional trauma it causes (the only way to circumvent that is to open another Logos account for new purchases!?). 

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 650
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 17 2012 8:00 PM

Terry Cook:
with thousands of $ invested I guess I'm forced to use L4.

Now you're getting it!  Despite all the 'workarounds' the fact remains the simpler method did NOT have to be removed - it was done to inconvenience you to the max so that you would get on board with what Logos wants.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS