Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 237
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 19 2012 5:25 AM

I have a MacBook Pro i7 with 4gb ram and I was wondering is there any noticeable difference by upgrading to 8gb ram?

Thanks,

Steve 

Posts 27806
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 5:36 AM

Probably, yes. I will have to let someone with your processor answer that question, but I noticed a significant improvement when I upgraded to 8.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 8:57 AM

I've done some background reading to this question and on some points it seems consensus is hard to find.

What we do know is that Logos 4 is a 32 bit program and many computers/software have 64 bit capabilities.

One of the characteristics of a 32 bit program is that it can't utilize more than 4 GB of RAM at a time.  (Apparently there is argument over this)

In talking with my brother recently, running a program smoothly on a computer is a constant game of upgrading the bottlenecks.  RAM, Hard Drive Read/Write speed, Processor, proper cooling, etc all affect this.

That being said.  I found L4 to be more sluggish and less responsive on my MBP (7,1) with a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo,  4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM than on my Desktop with double the RAM.

After upgrading the MBP to 8 GB 1067, DDR3 RAM from a popular online computer parts site for ~$50 shipped, load times decreased noticeably.  I normally keep Logos open on my desktop and while I would like to have done this on the MBP, L4 drains the battery too quickly to justify it.

Steve, in both of our cases I would assume 64 bit programs would see more response to the RAM upgrade but it should allow more room for programs to run simultaneously or in the background.

**I'm in no way an expert here, if anyone wants to deconstruct any error in speculation please do!**

Bottom Line: for the price I paid, I would say go for it!

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:09 AM

BTW Steve I notice you bought a MBP at the end of July after doing some computer research.  How has it been the past 6 months?  Pleased with the purchase or wishing to go back to PC (or desktop)?

Posts 61
David Sawyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:09 AM

This is not a fair comparison as there are other factors at play as well but I have logos installed on both my macbook pro (4GB) and my wife's iMac (16GB).  It is much, much snappier on the iMac.  Sadly I don't get to use her iMac very often!

Of course, you'll also probably have some other software open as well which uses up some of the 4GB - so I definitely think you'd notice a difference.

Posts 61
David Sawyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 9:15 AM

Also, as Paul states it is quite a cheap thing (comparatively) to do. In fact I purchased the new 16GB ram for around £100 and was then able to sell the original apple ones that the computer shipped with for about £50 so the upgrade cost was minimal.*

*NB my memory of numbers, despite being an accountant, is poor, so these numbers may not be 100% accurate.  However I do remember being very pleased at spending so little to upgrade the RAM on her computer.

Posts 27806
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 10:00 AM

Paul Newsome:
One of the characteristics of a 32 bit program is that it can't utilize more than 4 GB of RAM at a time.

Paul - This is my understanding as well, however, one does not run Logos in isolation. Even if you have no other apps running, you still have the OS. 

Paul Newsome:
After upgrading the MBP to 8 GB 1067, DDR3 RAM from a popular online computer parts site for ~$50 shipped, load times decreased noticeably.

Me too. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 237
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 6:05 PM

Brothers,

Thanks for the info and help.

I upgraded from 4gb to 8gb today and I can tell a difference. When I have multiple apps open it is really evident. 

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 6:10 PM

Steve Clevenger:

Brothers,

Thanks for the info and help.

I upgraded from 4gb to 8gb today and I can tell a difference. When I have multiple apps open it is really evident. 

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS