Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1
William | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 11:49 AM

Hi Im hearing a lot of comments about the alpha 2 version and was wondering if its usable?.  Im new to logos and bible software, and I want to buy the leaders bible software option, my question is if I bought this can I use it at this time?.

I read that I can test the current engine at the moment?.  

Really want to know about whether the product will work if bought at this time or if its better to wait?.

Thanks.

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:09 PM

Welcome to Logos!

You can test the current L4 Mac (Alpha) engine and it is reported on here that it is improving weekly. However, as far as doing much useful with it, that may be debateable at this stage. Some users are reporting difficulties with the initial indexing of resources. I'll let you know tomorrow morning if I was successful!

For insurance, if you can and don't mind running the Windows version under Fusion/Parallels, you would have viable option if the Mac Alpha version isn't useful. Another option might be to get a copy of Logos Mac version 1.2.2, which is in effect a souped up ebook reader. It works ok and I have used it for hours in my coursework.

Either way, the L4 Mac (Alpha) engine will require patience, but if you have it and want to participate in the development of it, jump in the deep end of the pool with us!

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:40 PM

I use 1.2.2 for my weekly sermon prep and reading.  I am testing L4mac Alpha.  It works for me.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 102
shane blyth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:18 PM

It is an alpha so very bare bones and not very stable.

Not a patch on the Windows version yet but is suppose to progress pretty fast.

I wouldnt recommend it at the moment , too much missing but give it a few weeks or a month and it could be alot more complete.

I have run the windows version under fusion on my Mac in the mean time though i find it generally a bit sluggish under fusion 3 .

you can always have a play.

Posts 74
Monroe R Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 6:59 PM

If you want something that works, come back in 6 - 8 weeks. Alpha testing ain't for sissy's or for those who need a product that works. This may be a great product in a couple months.

Rich+

Posts 10
Brian Wagner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 10:11 PM

I have had Logos 4 for a week and it does absolutely nothing I can't even view any ebooks. I look up a passage and the onlything that comes up is John Macarthur's Study bible no bible but John Mcarthur's notes??? Am I missing how great this program is??Confused

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 12:31 AM

Brian Wagner:
I have had Logos 4 for a week and it does absolutely nothing I can't even view any ebooks. I look up a passage and the onlything that comes up is John Macarthur's Study bible no bible but John Mcarthur's notes??? Am I missing how great this program is??Confused

I have been playing with the Alpha 2 version Logos for Mac and it isn't at least on my install, functional at all. Not even as a basic ebook reader. It has taken me some time to get it started this morning and then when I do, it just hangs up when I try to look up a book from my library.

It will be fun to watch it develop and when it is a bit more functional give feedback on its development as a beta tester, but in the meantime to do any real work I need to use old Mac version 1.2.2, L3 or L4 for Windows (under Fusion)

Posts 1
Brian Stokes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 6:11 PM

I am using Libronix Digital Library System 1.2 for Mac.  I dont know what Logos system I am running on.  I have upgraded to Logos 4.  I am confused.  Logos is a system by itself and so is Libronix.  How do they merge?  I was used to Biblesoft.  This system is hard to find anything.  Help.....

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 7:32 PM

Brian Stokes:

I am using Libronix Digital Library System 1.2 for Mac.  I dont know what Logos system I am running on.  I have upgraded to Logos 4.  I am confused.  Logos is a system by itself and so is Libronix.  How do they merge?  I was used to Biblesoft.  This system is hard to find anything.  Help.....

Brian

Welcome. They do not merge as they are two separate applications. Libronix 1.2 was the first application for the Mac from Logos. The Logos for Windows was already at version 3 when 1.2 for the Mac was released. Some users on these forums reported useful results from using 1.2 while others did not see much value in it. It all depends upon what you want it to do.

The latest version on both Windows and Mac is 4.0. The Windows version is operational, but not yet complete with all the features scheduled to be included. L4 for Mac is still in Alpha, which means that it is available for testing, but not yet suitable for serious work. It is still prone to crash, freeze, and even more nasty things. The Mac development team is had at work and making steady improvements to the Mac version. The promised goal is full feature parity between the Mac and Windows versions. Bob Pritchett, CEO of Logos, recently gave us a very tentative timetable

"If you PROMISE not to hold me to it... I'd GUESS that you'll have good, stable build within two months that performs well on core behaviors, like reading, searching, and the Passage Guide. I'd [WILD GUESS] say we're six months from "most people can't tell the difference" between Mac/Windows functionality."

Posts 14
Geary Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:18 PM

Hello,

I just purchased Logos 4 tonight,  I'm still confused if I should buy parallels since I have a Macbook?  If I do buy parallels, I then install my operating system?  The system requirement for PC's is Vista or 7.  I only own the disk for XP?  So then do I buy the upgrade for XP to 7 then download my new logos software........This is getting expensive by the minute.......Any help?????

Posts 102
shane blyth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 8:24 PM

you should us eLogos 4 for Mac and dont bother with WIndows its still in Alpha but it is starting to work well. Why spend money to install WIndows when in a month or 2 the Mac version will be getting near finishing (just a guess but in the few weeks since they released the Alpha it has moved forward very quickly)

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 12:52 AM

Geary Williams:
   I just purchased Logos 4 tonight,  I'm still confused if I should buy parallels since I have a Macbook?  If I do buy parallels, I then install my operating system?  The system requirement for PC's is Vista or 7.  I only own the disk for XP?  So then do I buy the upgrade for XP to 7 then download my new logos software........This is getting expensive by the minute.......Any help?????

I'm running Logos 4 on XP using VMware Fusion. It works fine. I don't know of any reason why Logos wouldn't work on XP and Parallels.

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2009 4:18 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
I'm running Logos 4 on XP using VMware Fusion. It works fine.

Donovan - I also have VMWare Fusion running Windows XP on my MacBook Pro. Can you give me some tips on how to run the Windows version under XP? Will I end up with 2 copies of my library or can Windows use the one already installed on the Mac?

Thanks,

Bill

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 6 2009 6:26 AM

BillStevener:
Donovan - I also have VMWare Fusion running Windows XP on my MacBook Pro. Can you give me some tips on how to run the Windows version under XP? Will I end up with 2 copies of my library or can Windows use the one already installed on the Mac?

Hi Bill - Unfortunately, I don't believe that you can share your libraries between L4 Windows and L4 Mac. We were doing this with L3 Windows and 1.2.2 Mac, but with the release of L4, I don't believe this is possible any more.

The best results that I know of for using L4 Windows on Fusion is as follows:

1. Turn off graphics acceleration on Fusion

2. If you have 4GB of Ram on your MBP, allocate 2GB to your virtual machine on Fusion.

3. On XP, go under "trbouleshooting" on your video adaptor and turn graphics acceleration down to one notch above "off".

4. I recommend keeping your XP machine lean and mean, not installing anything you don't need.

Ideally, use the new Fusion version 3.0 as it has some speed enhancements. If you do use version 3.0 and you have upgraded from version 2.0, in order to get the speed increases you need to create a new XP virtual machine with version 3.0.  Version 3.0 will read version 2.0 virtual machines, but version 3.0 apparently can do some things at the time of creating the new machine which will give you some better performance.

All this said, I have read about users here using version 2.0 and have been completely satisfied with the performance.

Hope this helps.

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 4:55 AM

Donovan,

Thanks for the help. I've upgraded to L4 for Windows, but didn't realize that would be a 6 GB download! 9-hours later (here in Costa Rica), it seems to be working fine.

I had already setup my VM with VMWare 2.0.x with 1.5 GB. Two questions:

1) why reduce the video acceleration? Is that for speed improvements or does that fix problems or quirks with the software?

2) Would it be worth it to upgrade to 3.0 (I didn't even know it was available)? I only have VMWare for Quicken, minor touch-ups with Paint Shop Pro, my Canon  scanner (not compatible with my MBP but works under XP on the MBP - go figure!), e-Sword and now Logos L4.

Thanks, Bill

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 9:14 AM

BillStevener:
1) why reduce the video acceleration? Is that for speed improvements or does that fix problems or quirks with the software?
speed improvements

BillStevener:
2) Would it be worth it to upgrade to 3.0 (I didn't even know it was available)?
I did the Beta testing using VMWare 1.0 and never bothered to upgrade because I knew as soon as the Mac version was ready I would ditch VMWare. 

Have fun with Logos 4!

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 10729
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 9:54 AM

BillStevener:
Would it be worth it to upgrade to 3.0 (I didn't even know it was available)? I only have VMWare for Quicken, minor touch-ups with Paint Shop Pro, my Canon  scanner (not compatible with my MBP but works under XP on the MBP - go figure!), e-Sword and now Logos L4.

I get acceptable performance from L4 under Fusion 2. Since the Mac version is somewhere around 6 months from parity with L4 Windows, it may not be cost effective to upgrade just for L4. If it will make a difference in the other apps you are using on Windows, the upgrade might be worth more to you.

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 7 2009 11:24 AM

Joe & Jack -

Thanks, guys!

Bill

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 1:45 AM

BillStevener:

Thanks for the help. I've upgraded to L4 for Windows, but didn't realize that would be a 6 GB download! 9-hours later (here in Costa Rica), it seems to be working fine.

I had already setup my VM with VMWare 2.0.x with 1.5 GB. Two questions:

2) Would it be worth it to upgrade to 3.0 (I didn't even know it was available)? I only have VMWare for Quicken, minor touch-ups with Paint Shop Pro, my Canon  scanner (not compatible with my MBP but works under XP on the MBP - go figure!), e-Sword and now Logos L4.

As Jack said, upgrading to Fusion 3 is really dependent on how much you want to use Windows for other things probably. It does to appear to be faster in some respects than version 2.0, but whether it is worth it to you or not depends on your checkbook! :)

I've just loaded Alpha 6 today and am going to use it for some reading today on some coursework I am doing. I'll report back, but it appears initially stable enough to do these sorts of basic tasks. The team at Logos has already squashed a number of bugs.

Posts 132
Bill Stevener | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 8 2009 3:50 AM

Thanks, Donovan. I've been watching some of the L4 videos for Windows, and "playing along".... sure takes a long time (several minutes of 90-100% CPU time) for L4 to get going... does that improve or happen like that each time I open it and type in a passage?

Bill

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS