curious

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 25
Johnny | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:57 PM

hello,

im curious, how does people use their libronix library?

i've had it for a long time and i dont do too much in depth study, i usually use it to look up information.

i had purchase the inductive studying manual a while back and didnt have all the resources it had suggested so it sort of just died there.  i would very much like to do inductive studies with the libronix software but im not sure how best to get started. 

so if you guys have suggestions or just want to tell me how you guys use the library set i would love to hear it.

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 1:40 PM

My most commong task is to enter a passage I am studying into a Passage Guide and then read the information it returns in order to learn about the passage.  I also just open books in my library and read them on the computer. And I use it track my daily bible reading.

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 1:48 PM

1) I use the prayer list daily. I have several prayer lists and not all are in Libronix. But my ministry related prayer lists are.

2) The most extensive use is for research for personal and ministry needs. This past week, I did an extensive study of racham the attribute of YHWH in Ex 34.6 which translates "compassionate". This included reading on the word and its usage (TWOT, NIDOTTE), looking at all instances to get a better sense of what it is and how YHWH exercises it. I noticed some associations that I pursued. I compared also with NT Greek words for compassion to reflect on how the OT concept may have influenced the NT concept.

3) Straight reading (usually ministry books). With Logos 4's reading plan, I think this usage will increase. I am starting Futato's Hebrew method.

4) Note taking. Logos is my repository of Bible, application, reading and ministry notes.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 2:42 PM

JohnnyYii:
i would very much like to do inductive studies with the libronix software but im not sure how best to get started. 

Johnny

Please let us know if you have one of Logos' boxed sets. That can help with making study recommendations. Let me give you some steps for using Logos for inductive study without too much theory.

1. Start by selecting the passage you want to study. I'd suggest a pretty simple passage to start like 1 Thessalonians 1.

2. Read the passage in your favorite translation. Slowly.

3. Open the highlighter tool and reread the passage and mark things that seem important. It doesn't matter what kind of marking you apply, but it helps to be consistent. In the following example I've marked references to Paul and his companions in yellow, and to the Thessalonians in green. I've highlighted the things Paul mentioned about the Thessalonians in pink. I've highlighted references to other people in blue. I've underlined in red the things Paul and his friends were doing with reference to the Thessalonians. (This example is more marking than some people would do.)

4. After doing this observe what you've discovered. For example it is clear that this chapter is mostly about the Thessalonians and how they responded to the preaching of the gospel by Paul and his companions. In fact their response was in Paul's mind an example to others (verse 7). Paul lists at least a dozen ways in which the Thessalonians lives were impacted by the gospel.

5. Now you probably have some questions. This is the time to list them You can write them down on paper or open a new note file, title it 1 Thessalonians 1, and start writing your questions down there. I'll give you some examples:

Who are Silvanus and Timothy?

Where are these Thessalonians?

How did Paul get to preach the gospel to these people?

What kind of people were the Thessalonians before they became Christians?

What do the phrases 'work of faith', 'labor of love', and 'steadfastness of hope' mean?

What does Paul mean by 'his choice of you' in verse 4?

What does Paul mean when he says the gospel came 'in power'? 'In the Holy Spirit'? 'In much conviction'?

And so on.

6. The next step is to try to answer your questions. You can do the following here:

Open other Bibles to the same passage and see if differences in wording help you. (You can use the Text Comparison tool in Logos 4 for this or Parallel Bible Versions in 3.0)

Check out the cross references in the version you read.

Run the passage guide to open up commentaries you have that cover this passage. You can also discover topical resources that can help you understand words, people, etc. through the passage guide.

Try to systematically work through your questions. Other questions will usually come up along the way. Jot those down. Try to record the answers to your questions using the note file or a piece of paper.

7. Once you've answered all your questions about this passage, see if you can create an outline of the passage.

8. Now try to restate what the passage teaches or is about in one sentence. I'll give you an example: "Paul is deeply grateful for the depth with which the Thessalonian believers responded to the gospel and wants them to know they serve as a model for other believers."

9. Last, apply the passage to your life. Find an example to follow, a reason to believe, an attitude to adopt, a promise to claim, a truth to absorb, etc.

You've just done an inductive Bible study.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 25
Johnny | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 4:08 PM

thanks for putting in the time to respond to my post.

Mark, i have the leaders box.

ill try it when i get home.  very cool.  i went through kay arthurs book a few times but i still struggle with some of the methods she mention especially coming up with a standard format for marking text.  is it safe to just pick out 5 colors for all the who, what, where, when, how? 

i know logos also include inductive markings, do you use those?

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 8:40 PM

JohnnyYii:
i know logos also include inductive markings, do you use those?

I use whatever seems best at the time, mostly highlighters. Keep the colors consistent in each passage or book you study if you can.

I have never cared for Kay Arthur's method, but of course some people do. The point is to be able to recognize key words, ideas, developments, people, etc. I think forcing a scheme is too mechanical.

Logos is a tool that can help you learn more of God's Word, but it can't substitute for thinking, prayer, and some hard work. You'll get better and more efficient with it as you practice.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 8:46 PM

JohnnyYii:
Mark, i have the leaders box.

That is basically the Bible Study Library with some extras for leaders and small groups. It is a bit limiting, but the nice things about Logos is the ability to add additional resources as you discover the need for them. For now the selection of commentaries and Bible dictionaries will be slim. You'll have cross reference help in the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, and topical help in Nave's Topical Bible. Logos' maps are pretty good. You'll be able to get started, but if you start teaching others you may find the need to add a good commentary set and a top-rated Bible dictionary will help you prepare more deeply and answer questions your current resources may not quite do. Get started then grow as needed.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 3:37 AM

Mark,

thanks for the detailed outline, I'm sure that others will benefit also....

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 3:42 AM

http://www.4-14.org.uk/how-i-prepare-a-sermon

Johnny,

Pastor Mark Barnes outlines his steps to sermon prep here...it's basically the same as study...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 1956
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 2:29 PM

1. I use it to do a workup on a word, verse or passage using one of the reports. Excellent for this.

2. I use it as an ebook reader for academic studies. This is particularly useful in that I don't have to open up a Bible to look up references as I read, I can just hover my mouse over the reference or click on it. Also, terms and words can be looked up on the fly in various other ways. This is a HUGE time saver.

I don't use L3 so much for reading and studying large chunks of scriptures, but use other software tools. I personally find that the orientation to date has been heavily library and report generation oriented. I see this may be changing with L4's inclusion of a Bible Explorer.

Posts 1
Mary Lee Crain | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 2:43 PM

I read your thread about inductive studies and found it really helpful, however, I am having trouble getting the highlighter to work.  I am using Logos 4 and I believe I am current on updates.  I have the passage open and opened the highlighter tools.  I selected a word and then clicked on the blue highlighter and nothing happened.  I tried it several different times trying to get the right combination.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but I did use a visual filter on that passage earlier.

I am really new to Logos software, so there is plenty I don't know.

Posts 584
Gary O'Neal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 3:05 PM

maryleecrain@live.com:
I selected a word and then clicked on the blue highlighter and nothing happened.  I tried it several different times trying to get the right combination.

Make sure that 'Highlighting' is checked in the three-ring Visual filter dialog --

πάντα εἰς δόξαν θεοῦ ποιεῖτε

Posts 847
Praiser | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 10:21 AM

Love Mark's system.

Here are a few more ideas to make some markings for you.

Using the visual filter under the file tab, create filters to mark pronouns, nouns etc... see the screen clips below.
You can choose the Bible translation to filter as well as which parts of the Bible you want to use the filter on.
It can save some time and make somethings pop out at you.
Want to turn them off? Just change the Bible translation to apply them to.

The following filter is using the Kay Arthur markings. Obviously the first set of markings above were removed from the translation at the time of this screenshot.

Just some ideas. Enjoy

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS