Recommended/Ideal Mac Hardware

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 40
Richard Teschendorf | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 1:53 PM

I purchased a new 27" iMac 3.06 Core 2 Duo just a few days before I discovered Logos 4 for Mac (I'm currently using Accordance).  I purchased Logos 4 Bible Study package and I'm wondering if the Mac development staff can tell me if I should stay with the Core 2 Duo or (I have 4 days yet to return it) or if Logos 4 Mac will benefit significantly with a Core i5 Quad Core.  Or if it will benefit from a 512MB video card instead of the 256 MB card I have currently.  I still have time to spend another $300 if it's really worth it.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 3:02 PM

Based on some comments from other users during beta testing of the Windows version, I would say yes to both, but it would be good to get an official response.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 222
Bob Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 11:23 PM

Richard Teschendorf:
I purchased Logos 4 Bible Study package and I'm wondering if the Mac development staff can tell me if I should ... spend another $300 if it's really worth it.

ok i'm going to say this and not try to sound rude or disrespectful to Logos.  

my first response is, u guys are taking money for a product  that is still in Alpha stage and truly not even useable right now?? No

Richard, at this point u paid for a product (v.4) that isn't even close to fully working.  i realize that they tell us that in weeks/months/? they will have a great product... (and frankly i am excited and can't wait to see it) but for the time being that is not the case.  so in response to this, u are asking if u should pay another $300 to upgrade your system BEFORE they give u a product that u can even use on your current system?  i guess i'm confused on this one.  

if it were me, i would FIRST want Logos to give me a useable and well designed product, since i have already purchased that from them already.  something just doesn't sit well with me that they are SELLING the alpha version, especially since i've attempted to use it.

SECOND - until i saw a good product for the Mac, frankly, i wouldn't want their advice on what to do for my system, since they haven't even offered me the initial product yet.

does that make sense?  or am i just not seeing something here?

River of Life Church: http://LifeOverflowing.org

Visit my blog: http://LifeOverflowing.org/pastor

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 11:39 PM

Pastor Bob Turner:

Richard Teschendorf:
I purchased Logos 4 Bible Study package and I'm wondering if the Mac development staff can tell me if I should ... spend another $300 if it's really worth it.

ok i'm going to say this and not try to sound rude or disrespectful to Logos.  

my first response is, u guys are taking money for a product  that is still in Alpha stage and truly not even useable right now?? No

Bob, shame on you brother for stringing together two sentences out of context to make a point not related to the post.  Richard is talking about spending $300 dollars to upgrade his Mac computer, not on Logos.

Not behavior one would expect from a fellow servant of Jesus to distort another persons words. Shameful behavior indeed.Ick!

Posts 222
Bob Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 11:55 PM

No, i didn't string together 2 sentences out of context.  i simply quoted the conclusion of his thought and his question.  read it again.  
i realize that he's asking Logos if he should upgrade his Mac.  if u look at his post, this is what he is asking!  and if u look at my post again, that is my point.

i get the point of his question.  it just doesn't make sense to me why he's asking Logos this question at this point in the game.

my point is... why are u asking Logos if u should upgrade your Mac for their product (v.4) that isn't even out yet??

shame on me?  i didn't take his money. 

my only agenda here is to say he shouldn't be spending extra money to upgrade his Mac based on a product (or advise from the company producing the product) that isn't even out yet, but he has already paid for.

River of Life Church: http://LifeOverflowing.org

Visit my blog: http://LifeOverflowing.org/pastor

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 12:04 AM

Pastor Bob Turner:
my point is... shame on me. 
Apology accepted Bob.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 12:06 AM

Richard Teschendorf:
I purchased a new 27" iMac 3.06 Core 2 Duo just a few days before I discovered Logos 4 for Mac (I'm currently using Accordance).  I purchased Logos 4 Bible Study package and I'm wondering if the Mac development staff can tell me if I should stay with the Core 2 Duo or (I have 4 days yet to return it) or if Logos 4 Mac will benefit significantly with a Core i5 Quad Core.  Or if it will benefit from a 512MB video card instead of the 256 MB card I have currently.  I still have time to spend another $300 if it's really worth it.

My two pence worth on it... a quad core would be nice and would without doubt future proof your technology for a while. That said, I can't imagine that it will take a quad core to run L4 for Mac. If it does, then 95+% Mac owners won't be able to run it because until now, quad core has only been available on the Mac Pro, yet all of us have been happily doing processor intensive stuff like editing video, graphics, etc.

If it was me and I had the extra $300, I would probably go for it just for future proof thing. However, if funds are tight, I wouldn't worry about using a dual core either.

Posts 1532
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 12:52 PM

Judging from the hardware discussion on the Pc version, and as both a MAc and PC user who rabidly follows Apple hardware news, I would say yes, the Mac upgrade would be worth it. (Even the i5 27 is 2x as fast as your C2D in some ways.)

Macbook C2D 1.83, 2Gb, 120

Dell P4 2.4, 1.2 Gb, 120

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 40
Richard Teschendorf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:08 AM

FYI, I finally called Logos to see if they had any hardware related info other than their minimum and recommended requirements.  What I was told that, although Logos 4 Mac will run on the published requirements, the unpublished "optimal requirements" are a Core i7 quad core.  Bottom line is that, if you want the fastest performance possible, Logos 4 Mac will take advantage of the Core i7, both quad core and hyper-threading.  So, since I was having problems with my new 27 iMac Core 2 Duo, I'm exchanging it for a Core i7 and the better video card.  When crazy enough to spend $1,699 on a computer I don't really "need", but want, what's another $500? 

Crazy computer geek looking forward to a Logos 4 Mac that actually works as planned.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:12 AM

Richard Teschendorf:
FYI, I finally called Logos to see if they had any hardware related info other than their minimum and recommended requirements.  What I was told that, although Logos 4 Mac will run on the published requirements, the unpublished "optimal requirements" are a Core i7 quad core. 

Wow! You just gave me the opening line to my wife to upgrade my Macbook Pro when they come out with Quad cores for Macbooks! (just kidding)

Posts 40
Richard Teschendorf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:28 AM

I see you picked up on how I used a minor problem with the Core 2 Duo iMac to justify a $500 upgrade.  Pretty clever, huh?  ">Big Smile

My wife knows the truth, but just smiles knowing how hopeless I am when it comes to consumer electronics whether Blu-ray, the latest computer hardware, etc.  Good wife!

Posts 319
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 5:13 PM

I am with Joe - this is a question about upgrading hardware. I suggest you buy the best and only cry once. If you can afford the extra $300 on hardware I would do it. It will benefit you in many other ways than just running Logos (when it is fully functional). It will certainly help if you want to run Fusion and the Windows version of Logos 4 while the MAC version is being finished. That is what I am doing and it works great.

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 3
Pastor Mark Lacanienta | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 11:26 PM

I am running Parallels and it works great.  Also this may be anathema, but a cheap PC can be bought for $300-$400 to run Logos native. 

Posts 102
shane blyth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 29 2009 11:39 PM

we get the best of both worlds

Logos 4 Mac and the Windows versions

If you want ultimate performance use Bootcamp of course  Win version

Alpha 5 is for Mac is running fine on my 2 year old macbook pro

Spend the $300 if you want but you do have a MAc and a "PC" in the iMac with bootcamp

Posts 10812
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:54 AM

shaneblyth:
Spend the $300 if you want but you do have a MAc and a "PC" in the iMac with bootcamp

The one problem I see with this strategy is the need to reboot in order to change the OS. With Fusion or Parallels, you can run both and move documents freely between Windows and the Mac. There is a speed hit with this however.

Posts 102
shane blyth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:58 AM

macs boot fast but if you bought a $300 PC how long would that take to boot ?  then u have 2 devices to carry and boot.  not that practical

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 10:49 PM

MarkBLacanienta:
Also this may be anathema, but a cheap PC can be bought for $300-$400 to run Logos native. 
I think Jesus addressed this very point in Luke 11:11-13.  

Jesus said, "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a Mac, will give him a PC instead? r if he asks for OSX, will give him Vista?"

Then again, this is my translation for today based on the Message paraphrase. ;-)

Posts 10812
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 3:01 AM

Joe Miller:

MarkBLacanienta:
Also this may be anathema, but a cheap PC can be bought for $300-$400 to run Logos native. 
I think Jesus addressed this very point in Luke 11:11-13.  

Jesus said, "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a Mac, will give him a PC instead? r if he asks for OSX, will give him Vista?"

Then again, this is my translation for today based on the Message paraphrase. ;-)

ROTFL. Big Smile That was brilliant! 

Posts 11
Dr. W. Brian Ceraolo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 4 2009 7:28 PM

I honestly pray that Logos made the program built for a Core 2 Duo processor. It would be crazy to knock out performance for 80 - 90 % of the Mac users!

Posts 40
Richard Teschendorf | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 5 2009 3:18 AM

DrWBrianCeraolo,

My understanding from Logos Tech Support is that Logos 4 Mac will run great on a C2d, but, since it is being written using all the latest OS X technologies, it should run even better on quad-cores like Core i5 and Core i7.  How much better remains to be seen.  I have a Core i7, but my uninformed guess is that the differences might be in fractions of a second and thus not significant considering the nature of the program.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS