L4 Highlighting

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 30222
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 3:12 PM

I'm starting to use the markup/highlighting feature. First, a question: Is the "inductive" set a subset of the Precept Marking system? If it is, why is it only a subset? Why isn't it tagged as Precept?

Second, I would like to build customized sets of highlighting ... where I can attach the meaning to the marking. For example, Mark A. Smith in an earlier post used as an example: "In the following example I've marked references to Paul and his companions in yellow, and to the Thessalonians in green. I've highlighted the things Paul mentioned about the Thessalonians in pink. I've highlighted references to other people in blue. I've underlined in red the things Paul and his friends were doing with reference to the Thessalonians." I'd like to capture that sort of information ... what my markings mean in this hightlighting system.

Third, I would like to be able to import custom symbols into highlighting - for the Swedish markup system for example.

Maybe I can do some of this and haven't figured out how yet. Yes, I do know I can document my markings in notes but I want my systems to appear on the menu just as the Precept system does.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:06 AM

Ditto . . . Ditto . . . Ditto.

Would really like to have custom highlighting styles.

Would also like to be able to search for them like tags.

Posts 818
Richard Lyall | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 11 2009 8:16 AM

Yes - I'd also like more options for highlighting, not least of all, the ability to colour the text itself, and apply 2 or more styles at the same time.

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 5:06 AM

Ditto. I'd love to be able to have the highlighting work as an overlay which you can turn on/off globally at will, and have multiple named highlighting overlays for different purposes. I don't want to see my old highlighting from a Bible study I did months ago for my small group when I'm preparing a sermon, for example. But I might want to do some new/different highlighting for the sermon prep.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:05 AM

MJ. Smith:
Second, I would like to build customized sets of highlighting ...

This, and many other features, are in the works over at the Logos Command Center. Originally Highlighting was not going to be included in the initial 4.0 release. But we Beta testers whined loud enough to get Bob's attention so that added what we see now to tide us over. I'm not sure of a completion time frame, though.

Posts 709
Russ Quinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 16 2009 6:05 AM

Total agreement the need for custom styles and multiple sets of highlighting. Also agree with the need to be able to import symbols and would add the need to associate letters and numbers with a style so one can easily create notes that recreate the highlight of a book.

I would also like to see the names associated with custom styles function as searchable tags so that highlighted sections can later be retrieved in a search results list.

When I am working through a nonbiblical book in the real world, I like to use highlighting in three ways: 1. to note the structure of the argument, that is to note main points and subpoints using a outline hiearchy (I. A. 1. a) i) - It would be great to be able to insert these in the text; 2. to highlight quotable sections - usually just yellow highlighting; and 3. to highlight things I strongly agree with in green and things I strongly disagree with in red.

What would be extremly helpful, in addition to having these set up as custom styles, is the ability to quickly pull all the highlighted material from the book organized according to their tags. Maybe it creates a clipping file from the highlighted material or maybe it just lists them like search results?

I know that I could create clippings files and achieve a similar result (and will obviously do that if necessary) but I find the process of creating clippings a bit cumbersome and distracting when I am really trying to read and follow an argument. Highlighting while reading keeps focus on the text at hand. I would like to avoid having to interact with another window or process while reading.

Posts 32
Lucy M. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 2 2009 2:43 PM

Without reiterating everything that has been previously stated about the Highlighting feature, I thought that I would just weigh in and say...me too!!  I used this feature extensively in Logos 3 for my Precepts courses.  :-)

Posts 5007
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 3 2009 8:01 PM

Something just occurred to me...in the next couple of weeks, our in 3 are supposed to port over to 4...and I will be waiting with baited breath to see just how that is handled?  Question: will our highlighting also port as well?  I kind of always grouped the two things together in my mind (things I've added to 3), but I realize that Logos may not see it exactly as I do.  That seems to be the case more than I like--many of the things I rely on in 3 are significantly different (and I'm not sure yet if that is negative or not in each case) and some things are probably gone for good.  Thus I am currently expecting to use 3 as my primary tool until 4 gives me reason not to...if that happens.  How my extensive highlighting is handled in the 3 to 4 port will be part of that assessment.

Does anyone know if highlighting is slated to port over?

Posts 80
Bruce Lundquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 9:55 AM

I'll just say that I agree with all of what's been said.  I had a bunch of my own custom highlights in Libronix 3.  I did find out that you can import all your highlights from Libronix 3 to Logos 4 by going to the Comand box, to the right of the Tools menu and type "Import."  You should see, Import All (if you have beta 3b), and you will get your Notes, Bookmarks, Favorites, etc.  Plus my custom HIghlights appeared. 

There's just one problem.  My custom Highlight pallets did not come with it.  So I can't select and use them.  I can only see what I did in L3. 

When will I be able to create my own hightlights, AND also select and use the ones I have in L3?

Thanks very much and God bless.

Apple MacBook Pro 16G macOS Mojave version 10.14.4 Beta
Logos Bible Software 8.3 - 8.3.0.0034
http://fcov.org (Faith Church of the Valley)

Posts 2739
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 10:08 AM

David Paul:
 Question: will our highlighting also port as well? 

Yes it is in beta3

David Paul:
How my extensive highlighting is handled in the 3 to 4 port will be part of that assessment.

Does anyone know if highlighting is slated to port over?

So far it has imported the markup successfully for me..

I expect it in the next proper release.

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 18 2010 10:35 AM

Bruce Lundquist:
When will I be able to create my own hightlights, AND also select and use the ones I have in L3?

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/9896/78742.aspx#78742

Straight from the top. Bob P. expects 4.0b to have custom highlighting. If I had to guess (based on how many betas 4.0a went through) I would say the next Beta build will introduce custom Highlight styles.

EDIT: It appears that I was wrong. 4.0b Beta 4 did not contain custom highlighting styles (at least according to the release notes) I revise my guess to Beta 5 Big Smile)

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 6:38 AM

Kevin Becker:

Straight from the top. Bob P. expects 4.0b to have custom highlighting. If I had to guess (based on how many betas 4.0a went through) I would say the next Beta build will introduce custom Highlight styles.

EDIT: It appears that I was wrong. 4.0b Beta 4 did not contain custom highlighting styles (at least according to the release notes) I revise my guess to Beta 5 Big Smile)

It's not in Beta 5 either...

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 9:22 AM

Rosie Perera:

I know... I'm getting out of the beta prognostication business, I'm batting 0% Smile.

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 24 2010 5:41 PM

Kevin Becker:

Rosie Perera:

I know... I'm getting out of the beta prognostication business, I'm batting 0% Smile.

I'm sure it's just a little bug in your beta prognostication algorithm. Keep working at it and maybe by Kevin Becker 2.0 beta 7 the fix will be in place and you'll be able to prognosticate with perfection. Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it will be beta 8. Wink

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2010 11:00 AM

Rosie Perera:
I'm sure it's just a little bug in your beta prognostication algorithm. Keep working at it and maybe by Kevin Becker 2.0 beta 7 the fix will be in place and you'll be able to prognosticate with perfection. Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it will be beta 8. Wink

It's Beta 7... shall I refer to you as a Beta prophetess?

Posts 2739
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2010 11:08 AM

Customisable Highlights are in Beta 7  Big Smile

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 1 2010 5:03 PM

Kevin Becker:

Rosie Perera:

It's Beta 7... shall I refer to you as a Beta prophetess?

I was referring to the bug in your beta prognostication algorithm, which I predicted would be fixed in the new version of you, namely Kevin Becker 2.0 beta 7. It had only a coincidental relationship to Logos 4.0b Beta 7.Wink

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS