Posts 6683
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 17 2012 4:29 PM

Praying for those in need.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 17 2012 5:26 PM

Jack Caviness:
Careful, I did a 5 year program (162 hours) in a little over 3. I would not advise anyone to repeat that. When you flame out during the last semester, you can't slow down then Geeked It was a very rough last semester.

And I assume you didn't combine it with working full time as well?

Robert, I sure hope none of your courses is a language one. And that you don't have kids. Besides, the single most important thing to do in seminary is pray, and when on earth do you intend to find time for that? No offense, but theological studies that aren't founded on prayer tend to do more harm than good. We can pray for you, but we can't do your praying for you.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 2:32 AM

Jack Caviness:

Careful, I did a 5 year program (162 hours) in a little over 3. I would not advise anyone to repeat that. When you flame out during the last semester, you can't slow down then Geeked It was a very rough last semester.

Oh wow, 162 hours is a ton.  Our program is 126, if I'm not mistaken, which is basically 5 years taking a minimum of 12 hours a semester (which is considered full time).  So my track won't be quite as bad as that!  But I can only imagine how rough what you did was.  I'm guessing you took full course loads during the summers as well?

George Somsel:

Besides which, you can always find a few courses you would like to take that aren't in the curriculum. 

I've thought of that.  Our program requires a minimum of 18 elective hours, however.  So I'll probably be able to get my fill of classes of my choosing with that.  But you never know.  :)

fgh:

Robert, I sure hope none of your courses is a language one. And that you don't have kids. Besides, the single most important thing to do in seminary is pray, and when on earth do you intend to find time for that? No offense, but theological studies that aren't founded on prayer tend to do more harm than good. We can pray for you, but we can't do your praying for you.

No, language is not required in our undergrad program.  I was thinking of taking it, but I may not end up even being able to because I go to one of my school's extension centers which doesn't offer everything, languages being part of what they don't offer (though I am required to take a Word Studies course).  And no, I'm 21, single, no kids.  So I have the luxury of being able to focus wholeheartedly on the work God has laid before me without other "distractions."

I'm aware others can't occupy my own place of prayer.  But I believe I'll still find the time somehow.  Wink  Besides, I'm not just doing this on a whim.  I believe it to be the right path for me.  I believe if it is indeed the Lord's Will, he will work in me both to will and to work for His good pleasure.  And aside from that, taking extra classes was actually suggested to me by one of my professors because he's noticed how I've yet to be challenged with 4.  My school is offering a 2-hour course online in the fall (versus most classes that are 3-hours, of course), so I figured this class might not have as much work as a normal class, and therefore might be a good trial run.  We'll have to see how everything falls into place though.

Posts 10787
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 3:00 AM

fgh:
And I assume you didn't combine it with working full time as well?

Only in the last year Geeked I did have a few advantages: 1) Retirement pay from the US Navy; 2) GI Bill assistance, and 3) the most wonderful wife in existence.

I really meant the statement as a caution against overloading oneself academically in a rush to finish an education quickly.

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 4:56 AM

Jack Caviness:

I really meant the statement as a caution against overloading oneself academically in a rush to finish an education quickly.

I gotcha.  That's not my intention.  I simply feel I have been gifted for the task of pursuing my studies with more rigor is all.  Of course, that doesn't diminish the actual difficulty of the task.  I'm not in any hurry to get out of school or "finish" my education though.  I very much enjoy what has been entrusted to me thus far, and Lord willing, I'll be in school for a long time.  I may even teach at some point.  Smile

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 8:38 AM

Glad to hear of answers to prayer and will pray for those with current (and many pressing) needs.

Posts 293
Mike Measley | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 8:46 AM

tom collinge:

I am going to be unemployed in a couple of months.  If anyone knows of a chaplain position that is open, please let me know.  Thanks  (FYI...I have five units of CPE).

Hi Tom,

A friend that works at this Hospital encouraged me to apply here.  It is a Catholic Hospital, but he suggested that even if one isn't Catholic to apply.

https://chi.taleo.net/careersection/sjrhn/jobdetail.ftl

mike

Windows 7, Nexus 7

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 9:40 AM

Robert Wazlavek:
taking extra classes was actually suggested to me by one of my professors because he's noticed how I've yet to be challenged with 4

Let me guess: that was before you told him you intended to work full time as well. Stick out tongue

Nothing necessarily wrong with taking extra courses, depending on which ones they are and what the rest of one's life looks like. It's the extra courses plus full time work I'm worried about.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1
Heather Dalberg | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 10:20 AM

I will add my prayers to those in distress and in need of employment. Blessings to all.

Posts 325
Robert Wazlavek | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 12:09 PM

fgh:

Let me guess: that was before you told him you intended to work full time as well. Stick out tongue

Nothing necessarily wrong with taking extra courses, depending on which ones they are and what the rest of one's life looks like. It's the extra courses plus full time work I'm worried about.

Lol, yep.  But I have told him.  Just after that conversation.  However, he didn't suggest that I reconsider.

I hear you.  I know it's gonna be pretty rough.  But I gotta do what I gotta do.  I have talked to one of my teachers about doing the work for his class this summer.  He consented.  So I'll have gotten the majority of the work done for at least one class by the time the semester starts.  I'll email my other teachers asking the same thing at some point.  I'm taking some summer classes right now, so when they're done (mid July) I'll put some serious effort into getting work done for the fall if I'm able to get more teachers to consent.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 2:06 PM

Mike Measley:

tom collinge:

I am going to be unemployed in a couple of months.  If anyone knows of a chaplain position that is open, please let me know.  Thanks  (FYI...I have five units of CPE).

Hi Tom,

A friend that works at this Hospital encouraged me to apply here.  It is a Catholic Hospital, but he suggested that even if one isn't Catholic to apply.

https://chi.taleo.net/careersection/sjrhn/jobdetail.ftl

mike

Thanks Mike

Posts 10787
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 7:10 PM

Robert Wazlavek:
 I'm taking some summer classes right now

It's the year-round schooling that wears you down. Don't know what you school offers through the summer, but do not completely fill every week of the year for 3+ years. That was my mistake. As someone has said, "Take some time to smell the roses" Geeked

Posts 30138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 7:40 PM

Jack Caviness:

Warning: the Italian young man who introduced me to Fellini movies made it into Time magazine when his college threatened to withhold his diploma. All he was doing was working swing shift as janitor at Children's Hospital, and being a full-time student at MIT and being a full-time student at Boston College. Unfortunately MIT and Boston College didn't take well to discovering his simultaneous approach to education. Not to mention that English was his third language - born in Italy, emigrated to Argentine for a few year then to America when he was 14. Don't think small - go for it - there are records to be beaten, knowledge to be learned, books to be read ...

PS. I've worked full-time, been a graduate student full-time and a single mother simultaneously. I'm obviously not up to the task of being a role model.Wink

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 7:42 PM

I could use some prayer in the area of employment, especially for my wife. We're moving out to California (from Delaware) in July, with no jobs lined up, so I can attend Fuller Seminary. I have a few leads already on some part-time IT work, and those are pretty common so I'm not too worried for myself. My wife, on the other hand, will be looking for full time work in Chemistry, and I have no idea what the job market is like for that. I truly believe that God has called us to make this move, but it's easy to fall into a pattern of doubt and worry. So really, I'm asking for prayer both that she will find God-honoring, fulfilling work, and that until that happens God will give us peace through trust in Him.

Posts 602
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2012 8:03 PM

mitchellisdumb:

I could use some prayer in the area of employment, especially for my wife. We're moving out to California (from Delaware) in July, with no jobs lined up, so I can attend Fuller Seminary. I have a few leads already on some part-time IT work, and those are pretty common so I'm not too worried for myself. My wife, on the other hand, will be looking for full time work in Chemistry, and I have no idea what the job market is like for that. I truly believe that God has called us to make this move, but it's easy to fall into a pattern of doubt and worry. So really, I'm asking for prayer both that she will find God-honoring, fulfilling work, and that until that happens God will give us peace through trust in Him.

Thanks for sharing. I'm not far from Pasadena, so my heart naturally gravitates toward you. I will pray for your packing up in Delaware, your move to L.A. and as you mentioned, your need for employment.

Posts 2602
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 21 2012 10:18 AM

I have two people I know who greatly  need work as both are supporting loved ones who are disabled. If you could remember them in your prayers, I'd be most appreciative.  Sue C and Steve P

Thank you!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 9:24 AM

Lynden Williams:

Continuing to pray for the unemployed and the underemployed and those who are discouraged re. their economic future!

Peace to all!                                      .. and ....              Always Great Joy in the Lord!

*smile*

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 12:04 PM

Milford Charles Murray:

Lynden Williams:

Continuing to pray for the unemployed and the underemployed and those who are discouraged re. their economic future!

Peace to all!                                      .. and ....              Always Great Joy in the Lord!

*smile*

Plus praying for those who are working to be workers worthy of hire.

Thankful for God's peaceful answers to prayers.

Thankful can search Logos library for answered prayers, which has many wondrous stories.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 44
William Norman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 28 2012 1:28 PM

Please keep my son, W.J.N.  in your prayers.

Page 2 of 2 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS