Anybody use their android tablet to preach?

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 36 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 21
Peter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 22 2012 4:03 PM

I have also discovered Evernote. It is fantastic. I prepare my sermons or studies on my desktop and just drop the finished article into evernote and bingo its on my tablet. I am using a nexus 7 and I thought that the screen would be a bit small but it is working fine.

Posts 1
Shane (Oliver) Edwards | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 25 2012 2:02 PM

I tried using EZPDF to preach off but it was never quite as flexible and easy to use as I wanted.  I wanted to not have to think about my device at all while I was preaching.  I think I have figured out how to take a MS Word file and put it into Kindle format.  It takes about 15 minutes to set up but once set up, in the future I should be able to put my sermons on my tablet's kindle app or a kindle and preach with the fonts, margins exactly at their most readable, which is something I could never do with PDFs.

I detailed the instructions on my blog.  

http://oliverinthehat.ca/2012/11/tech-victory-sermonizing-with-tablets-and-kindles/

Posts 3
Nate Shinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 27 2012 2:49 PM

I've used my keyboard Kindle (k3) for a year and a half to preach from & have just started using my Kindle Fire HD 8.9. I type my sermon in word, email it to my kindle (kindlename@free.kindle.com) using wi-fi & it's good to go.

I'll have to check out some of the other options & see if I like them better.

Thanks!

Posts 1
LJ | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 2 2012 12:16 PM

I wanted to say thank you for this thread. I just bought my daughter a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with ICS for her birthday. We got my dad (who is also a minister) an iPad last year and my plans were to get one also. But after playing with the Galaxy I am considering one instead.

However all the information online is usually geared toward preaching with an iPad and the apps associated with it.  This thread has given me hope that I will be able to also do it with a Galaxy if I decide on one.

I already use Evernote and usually use Word to create my sermons. But I am always interested in what process other ministers use. I have made a note EZPDF.

Are there any other apps/tips anyone has for someone considering preaching with an Android device instead of Apple?

Thanks. God bless

lj

Sola Gratia

Posts 19
Billy Neumann | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 16 2013 5:09 PM

Anyone who does this: is there a way to tag references in the document you use, and will the LOGOS app then make them clickable (appearing in a pop-up)?

That's what I want....

Posts 9
Rich Schnieders | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 17 2013 12:49 PM

I have used my Motorola Xoom Android Tablet for quite a while now. I normally convert my sermon notes Word document to a PDF and use the  PDF on my Xoom.  I have experimented with placing my notes into Proclaim so I can control Proclaim and have my notes at the same time.  This works well most of the time but I had a couple failures so I keep my notes in PDF, even when putting my notes in Proclaim. The Proclaim Android app is a great resource and if you place your notes in the right place it works well to preach from. I don't think I could go back to paper. 

Rich

Posts 1
Joel Sutton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 19 2013 9:58 AM

I use a Nexus 7 to preach from and I love it.  I'm saving paper, I don't have to keep my pages in order, and I have my whole service at my fingertips.  What's not to love?

Someone else mentioned not using a paper bible at all anymore.  I was reading the scripture from my tablet, as well, but found out that there are some in my congregation who were put off by that.  I think there is something to be said for the visual of actually opening a bible and reading from it.  If that makes worship more meaningful to someone, I'm more than happy to carry my bible and my tablet.

Posts 1
Brenda Haight | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 12:00 PM

Good afternoon Carl,

I have a basic Kindle that I use.  it works great.  I don't save it as a PDF - I just upload the document to my Kindle and open it up.  When the document is open, it moves from page to page like turning a page in a book you are reading. You can change the font size etc. that works for you.

If you want the ability to make changes to the sermon, you can purchase an office app and then also get a free Google Drive account to upload your document which allows you to make changes.  you can then access it through the office app.

I wasn't sure if a kindle would work over a tablet or iPad but I have used my Kindle to preach from.  The first time I printed my manuscript just in case there were problems so I would have a backup but that wasn't needed.

wish you well in your ministry and updating your technology.

blessings,

Brenda

Posts 3002
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 25 2013 1:14 PM

Shane (Oliver) Edwards:

I tried using EZPDF to preach off but it was never quite as flexible and easy to use as I wanted.  I wanted to not have to think about my device at all while I was preaching.  I think I have figured out how to take a MS Word file and put it into Kindle format.  It takes about 15 minutes to set up but once set up, in the future I should be able to put my sermons on my tablet's kindle app or a kindle and preach with the fonts, margins exactly at their most readable, which is something I could never do with PDFs.

I detailed the instructions on my blog.  

Hi Shane, I tried going to your blog but my antivirus found a virus & won't let me bring it up. Would you mind reposting here?

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Pastor Bill, Faith Presbyterian Church

W8.1 64bit, Office 2010
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 8Gb RAM, 7200rpm 750Gb-32Gb hybrid disk
HTC One M8, Droid 4.4.2

Posts 28
De Luna | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 27 2013 9:44 PM

I use an Asus Transformer for the vehicle, but Evernote is the only app besides Word that I need. I really don't even need Word. I use it out of habit. Evernote really has all the word processing functionality I really need. Write it up on my home desktop. Close Word, grab my tablet, run out the door. Open Evernote when I get in front of the kids and voila! Way easy.

Posts 7185
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 10 2013 10:21 AM

Resurrection an old thread... on purpose.

I've been hesitant to make this jump, but I want to now. Whatever I buy will last me a very long time, or better.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Google Nexus 7 or 10.

SO:

What size and why?

I'm over 40 so the 10" seems preferable to me for reading from the pulpit, but I want to read from it a lot, so 7" seems preferable.

So... I see Joel a few posts higher was using a 7" to preach from.  

Help me out with your advice my friends.

Posts 226
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 11 2013 1:28 PM

I use my 10" Transformer Prime for preaching, I like it alot.  Some thoughts:  I think preaching on bigger tablets is just easier to see, about the same size as a piece of paper.  Also, make sure you set it so the screen doesn't time out.  I carried a paper back up copy the first few times, but nothing ever happened so I don't anymore.  I just use the office app that was preloaded and make some minor visual adjustments so that I can see headings quicker.  

Posts 33
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2013 12:19 PM

I have the Asus Transformer and have been thinking about using it for sermons.  I could use the office program on it or Evernote, but how do the rest of you use your electronic Bible software at the same time?  Are you opening and closing different apps or just copying the text into your notes?  Just looking for some practical suggestions as I venture down this road.  Thanks.

Posts 7185
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2013 1:06 PM

Tim,

Carry your Bible and your tablet.  There is something about the physical presence of the bible in the pastor's hands that I will still do for the foreseeable future. Just my $0.02 on that point. 

Posts 971
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2013 1:07 PM

Tim Farley:
how do the rest of you use your electronic Bible software at the same time?  Are you opening and closing different apps or just copying the text into your notes?  Just looking for some practical suggestions as I venture down this road.  Thanks.

This is in the iPad section, but may provide some hints that carry over to Android tablets. http://community.logos.com/forums/t/48291.aspx 

Posts 33
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 15 2013 6:56 PM

Thanks for the help.  I think I'll start by continuing to read from my Bible and using my tablet for my notes only.

Posts 1
Ken Cyr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 7 2013 9:56 PM

I have used an ipad 2 but now I use a galaxy tab 2.  I used an app called "splashtop" with both of them.  It allows me to take over the powerpoint of the message I preach.  I actually now preach with powerpoint using its "presenter view" so I see my notes but the congregation doesn't.  Works great, essentially I store the actual sermon pp on the projector computer and when the tech starts the slideshow I take over on my tablet.  Way better control of the slides and I have a great view of them on the tablet.

Page 2 of 2 (37 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS