Philippians Classic Commentary now approaching $30!!!

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2012 6:25 AM

On Friday, or whenever, when it was at $90, I would have said $40 was impossible!  How about having a blitz on Revelation??

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2012 6:25 AM

Mark Smith:

OK. With all respect, you haven't answered my question. Just because something is old  (or 19th century) doesn't make it good. Which of these commentaries are the ones you know to be of real value and would be good to add to my library? I hardly recognize a single author.

I only recognize a few names here - Plummer and Daille, and of course William Kelly, though what the latter's skills were as a commentator I do not know. I tend to find the introductory material placing the epistle in its historical setting, with surveys of the reception of the book in the early church etc as often just as valuable as the text itself. I don't know what I'll find in this set, and the possibility of disappointment is always there, but I was pleasantly surprised by the authors in the Galatians set whom I had not heard of, and I expect I will be again. Lastly, I have a specific interest in the New Testament and Paul's letters in particular, and Philippians is a very important work within that corpus. Those are my reasons - they might not be enough to convince you to bid depending on your own views and interests (and $40 is still too much really - I would have preferred $20 or at most $30), but for me, I think I would regret it more if I let this opportunity pass. 

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2012 6:26 AM

nicky crane:

On Friday, or whenever, when it was at $90, I would have said $40 was impossible!  How about having a blitz on Revelation??

Yes

Posts 453
Mike S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2012 6:33 AM

Mark Smith:

I am curious. What exactly in that set is something you want??

At first I was skeptical of this set in particular, then I started searching in Logos to see how often the work or author is quoted or listed in bibliographies. 

I'm big on the ability to follow footnotes to the referred sources and this collection is full of just that. 

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2012 6:37 AM

Dean053:

nicky crane:

Yes

YesYes

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2012 10:17 AM

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3916
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2012 1:58 PM

fgh:

awesome.  on point.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 93
Fabrice | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2012 2:29 PM

I'm in the $30 !

Page 2 of 2 (28 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS