Logos selleth, Logos taketh away…

Page 3 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 82 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:05 AM

Is asinine an unattractive word?  If that word is okay with you, KS4J, would you consider Giovanni's initial response to me asinine considering the ACTUAL content of my OP?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:05 AM

Michael Anda:
Misleading?  Intentional?, YOU didn't read THIS full thread if you believe that KS4J.

Sadly have read this entire thread many times, which includes original post being six hours after Logos developer replied on page 3 and Bob Pritchett replied on page 2 of thread => Uh oh...my downloaded resources have vanished!  yet original post complains about lack of Logos acknowledgement when linked thread already had technical explanation and apology by Bob Pritchett (CEO).

Curious a complaint about one of Logos mobile apps is posted in General forum instead of follow-up in Android forum or reply to thread that was linked in original post.  Hence words used were intentionally used to elicit many responses, which has succeeded.

Michael Anda:

Okay, I lied.  I DID reread this thread to see if anyone else had discussed Logos software beside Bob and myself and saw that I had forgot about the google advanced search discussion.  Technically not Logos software discussion, but… close enough.

My interest with this posting was to discuss Logos ultimate position of power over the process.  I wasn't intimating ANY type of impropriety on their part.  It just seemed to be that we are HUGELY subject to their competence and solvency here.  Since most Logos user have a significant investment in Logos, what's wrong with discussing the matter?  Would it NOT be comforting to know that when we download resources we are then at the mercy of only OUR backup competence?

Wonder about requesting this thread be deleted along with starting a new thread about Logos resource availability in a disaster scenario ? e.g. "If unable to access Logos servers, what can be used ?"

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:16 AM

What do you believe my purpose in posting this thread, KS?

I acknowledged earlier that I missed page 2 and 3 of the thread I linked to.  I merely linked to THAT thread because it expressed the matter better than my own, both thread title and content.  My thread was titled Navigation failed… over at the Android forum.  Am I REALLY the person quick to accuse here, or does that distinction belong to another?  Or others?  My OP really touched a nerve for some reason here.  I don't think my words in the OP warranted such a response.  I know my intent didn't.  I'm a logos lover on many levels.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:27 AM

I suggest that we let this thread die quietly.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:29 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Wonder about requesting this thread be deleted

Bob Pritchett has stated one reason he prefers not to delete posts is people may be more careful what they say if they know it will remain there for all to see. It is not as if the offensive posts were a momentary lapse of reason. There have been pleas from many to apply some self-control.  Bob has addressed the original post and the rest of us can do nothing about it. No good purpose is served by continuing the thread..

George Somsel:

Gentlemen !  (I hope I am not using the term too loosely).

Cool it, both of you.  There is no call to be uncivil.  Now, shake hands and make up (note that I am not asking you to "kiss and make up").

Garrett Ho:

As amusing as it might be to see this play out, this is probably an example of the forums at their worst. You are men whom I respect, and I would love if the personal attacks would stop. Turn the other cheek, and all that.

Hope you have a blessed week!

Philana Crouch:

Wondering if practical concerns have been answered ?

If so, one option to consider is a request for Logos to delete this thread, which has attracted many unattractive words.

Personally looking forward to Logos improving Android app plus iOS app plus Logos 4 along with future Logos 5.

Keep Smiling Smile

YesYesYes

Dan DeVilder:

For goodness' sake, guys, give this argument and thread a 4 day break, and then never return to it again.  Holy Cow.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:58 AM

Super Tramp:
No good purpose is served by continuing the thread..

I'm thinking this thread has much good purpose yet.  I think there is good material here for studying human psychology for one thing.  Then there's the matter of the sockpuppet wondering why a person wishes to hide their face.  Hopefully his answer will be as enlightening as it will be entertaining.  Geeked 

Posts 11060
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 12:16 PM

Michael ... I think Mr Sockpuppet answered. He's waiting (unless I misunderstood his answer). Actually I'm not thrilled with the vocabulary, but I agree with you about the process.

I AM glad you posted; I was considering buying an iPad but I can see now it's even worse than L4 in how Bob's managing the process. Happy I got a PC-tablet and ALL off-line. Nobody but me to blame.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 12:26 PM

What is a more socially palatable term to describe the behavior of people like Giovanni?  Something with as much as impact as the one I chose, but without being a cause of stress for so many?

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 12:28 PM

BTW, I love tablet computing after getting used to it, DMB.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 12:38 PM

Michael Anda:

What is a more socially palatable term to describe the behavior of people like Giovanni?  Something with as much as impact as the one I chose, but without being a cause of stress for so many?

Why are you obsessing on this and therefore continuing to drag it out?  Shut up about it.  Let the thread die.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 12:50 PM

deleted by poster  (no longer serves a purpose)

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 12:51 PM

George Somsel:
Why are you obsessing on this and therefore continuing to drag it out?

Because I'm the type of person who likes seeing things get resolved, I suppose.  I hate seeing everything get swept under some rug somewhere.  I'd like to see the topic originally posted get some attention as well.  Maybe I'm an attention seeker?  Geeked

Please people, let's discuss this.  Why is it that our resources can be here today and gone tomorrow?  I am not being critical of Logos at this time, I'd just like to acknowledge the potential for loss exists and discuss if there are other options.

I'm sure this has probably been discussed here before.  Will someone kindly fill in the google search blanks for me…

site:community.logos.com __________  __________  __________ 

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 12:53 PM

Super Tramp:
See how fruitless it is to try and sink to their level?

How have I sunk to 'their' level, Matthew?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:04 PM

Michael Anda:

Because I'm the type of person who likes seeing things get resolved, I suppose.  I hate seeing everything get swept under some rug somewhere.  I'd like to see the topic originally posted get some attention as well.  Maybe I'm an attention seeker?  Geeked

As they would say in court:  "Asked and answered."  Bob responded to you.  If some wish to make unrelated and disparaging comments, let it go.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:05 PM

George Somsel:
The term anal-retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,[1] is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, and can be carried out to the detriment of the anal-retentive person. The term derives from Freudianpsychoanalysis. People who are said to be anal-retentive usually suffer from obsessive–compulsive personality disorder, And are often quick to call others A-holes. (emphasis mine)

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:13 PM

Praying for God's Love and Peace for all involved in this thread.  Also praying for friendly forum focus on using Logos Bible Software. 

Keep Smiling Smile

Thank you, Keep Smiling!        Peace to you and Peace to all!                and .........    Joy in the Lord as each ernest Christian seeks to be more Christ-Like in his attitudes.  

*smile*                                                                Galatians 6:7-10

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:15 PM

Michael Anda:

George Somsel:

Please people, let's discuss this.  Why is it that our resources can be here today and gone tomorrow?  I am not being critical of Logos at this time, I'd just like to acknowledge the potential for loss exists and discuss if there are other options.

I'm sure this has probably been discussed here before.  Will someone kindly fill in the google search blanks for me…

site:community.logos.com __________  __________  __________ 

But your resources are not gone, a bug caused the resources to delete from the device, but the way you are expressing the question gives the impression that to access the books again you have to purchase them again. Logos did not take back your resources, you reconnect to wi-fi they will be there. Bugs happen, but Logos did not take away access/possession of your resources. Bob in the post mentioned apologised, said it was a bug and the development team is working to fix it so it does not occur again. So you have been given an answer. The solution is for the bug to be fixed. Your resources are not here today, gone tommorow as if Logos had removed them from your account. 

Posts 11060
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:32 PM

Philana, trying to keep this thread on the original subject, I think Bob did say he designed in deleting a person's resouces from their device ... that he just screwed up on what conditions to delete the resources. I was quite surprised about what he said.

It's very similar to the Walmart manager grabbing your cart next to your car and rolling it back into the store. Then when you say 'what??', he re-assures you that you can re-shop the store for all your items ... but you don't have to pay again. Whoopy.

I really feel sorry for the other gentleman today that was worried about his personal books remaining on his PC. He's going to be sadly disappointed. Bet.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:42 PM

Philana Crouch:
The solution is for the bug to be fixed. Your resources are not here today, gone tommorow as if Logos had removed them from your account. 

I unfortunately gave my OP a less than optimal title, Philana.  I originally titled my post Logos giveth, Logos taketh away… to emphasize the ABSOLUTE amount of control Logos possesses over access to our resources.  At the last minute I changed the title to Logos selleth, Logos taketh away… in an effort to be more accurate.  Seems that may have been ill advised.  Logos has COMPLETE control over access to our resources.  I'm not completely comfortable with that.  I'm not concerned about Logos in any way, ethical, moral, financial, capriciousness, what have you.  I'm more concerned about 'acts of God,' truth be told.  I'm not saying the sky is falling, I'm saying the sky CAN fall.  I wasn't really thinking about this too deeply when I originally penned my post.  Really, what I'm currently thinking is, Why does Logos NEED this amount of control?

I love downloadable resources and all the good things the GOOD people at Logos provide for us.  I'm not complaining, I'm pondering.  If you look CLOSELY at my OP, ALL I was saying is the recent outage had me thinking about the subject.  I'm not even sure why people have to look closely at what I posted.  In the words of Roy Wally, You people went a LOT crazy over what I posted initially.  I'm not just talking about my use of the term A-HOLE to describe Giovanni's response to the OP.  Seriously, what was he thinking to react like that?  I'm not piling on concerning his character, I'm piling on concerning HIS over-the-top REACTION to a post that I didn't perceive as being negative towards ANYBODY.  I can see where I didn't flesh out some of my thoughts, but sheesh, why all the angst and rancor over my original comments?  I'm looking for specifics here.

I'm interested to see who will be OUTRAGED over THIS posting.  Does that make me a troll, or just someone with fairly intense curiosity?

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:46 PM

DMB:

Philana, trying to keep this thread on the original subject, I think Bob did say he designed in deleting a person's resouces from their device ... that he just screwed up on what conditions to delete the resources. I was quite surprised about what he said.

It's very similar to the Walmart manager grabbing your cart next to your car and rolling it back into the store. Then when you say 'what??', he re-assures you that you can re-shop the store for all your items ... but you don't have to pay again. Whoopy.

I really feel sorry for the other gentleman today that was worried about his personal books remaining on his PC. He's going to be sadly disappointed. Bet.

Your analogy doesn't quite fit the situation.  It is more like the wheel falling off your cart as you are walking out the door and spilling your goods all over the place so that the manager then tells you that you can replace them without charge.

george
gfsomsel

Page 3 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS