Logos selleth, Logos taketh away…

Page 4 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 82 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:48 PM

Michael Anda:
 Does that make me a troll, or just someone with fairly intense curiosity?
The term anal-retentive (also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,[1] is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others, and can be carried out to the detriment of the anal-retentive person. The term derives from Freudianpsychoanalysis. People who are said to be anal-retentive usually suffer from obsessive–compulsive personality disorderAnd are often quick to call others A-holes.  (emphasis mine)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:48 PM

DMB:
I was quite surprised about what he said.

I am quite surprised you are still here. Your January public dialogue with Bob implied you were returning all your December purchases and quitting Logos. Did you finally see what the rest of us Logos lovers have recognized all along? (That being, Logos is the best Bible software, no matter what blemishes it may have.)

I bought into Logos with the idea I could run it on my pc desktop. Everything else has been extra gravy!  I hope you will come to enjoy Logos like many others do.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 11060
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 2:00 PM

Matthew, I was surprised TOO! I didn't say I was returning all my goods (that was another poster). I said I was done with Logos, as soon as I got my credits.

That happened Friday; I was so relieved to be FREE! But then I saw the Targum Collection was back into January after moving to February. That was Monday. Then Monday it moved into February (today).

Soooo .... here I am watching this very interesting discussion while I wait for the collection (Logos.com's already updated but that doesn't mean much ... happened Monday too).

I think it's really interesting how you guys are really trying to chew Michael UP and spit him out (followed by prayers to God of course ... see KSFJ's entry). It's a really bizarro.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 2:04 PM

George Somsel:
It is more like the wheel falling off your cart as you are walking out the door and spilling your goods all over the place so that the manager then tells you that you can replace them without charge.

I think it's more like the fall being due to all the marbles on the floor because the stock persons unfortunate mishap whilst stocking the shelves. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 2:04 PM

deleted by poster    (no longer serves a purpose.)

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 2:09 PM

DMB:
I think it's really interesting how you guys are really trying to chew Michael UP and spit him out (followed by prayers to God of course ... see KSFJ's entry). It's a really bizarro.

It's all good, or as close to good as humans typically get, Denise.  Geeked

To be clear, Matthew has always been good to me, and George has been good too.  KSJ4 is lovely and we simply have a misunderstanding.  I realize most people just don't want to be subjected to this kind of stuff.

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 2:23 PM

Whoops, spoke too soon.  Geeked

Posts 605
John Fugh, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 2:30 PM

Can we stop this thread?  I'm embarrassed to be a logos user and be affiliated with this software with this type of conversation going on.  Please stop.

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 2:43 PM

Of course we can stop this thread, but why should we have to?  I'd rather see people start to behave themselves.

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 2:45 PM

The majoring on the minor, and the minoring on the major reminds me a group of people Jesus encountered long ago.  Seems they haven't gone away.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 2:49 PM

Michael Anda:

Philana Crouch:
The solution is for the bug to be fixed. Your resources are not here today, gone tommorow as if Logos had removed them from your account. 

I unfortunately gave my OP a less than optimal title, Philana.  I originally titled my post Logos giveth, Logos taketh away… to emphasize the ABSOLUTE amount of control Logos possesses over access to our resources.  At the last minute I changed the title to Logos selleth, Logos taketh away… in an effort to be more accurate.  Seems that may have been ill advised.  Logos has COMPLETE control over access to our resources.  I'm not completely comfortable with that.  I'm not concerned about Logos in any way, ethical, moral, financial, capriciousness, what have you.  I'm more concerned about 'acts of God,' truth be told.  I'm not saying the sky is falling, I'm saying the sky CAN fall.  I wasn't really thinking about this too deeply when I originally penned my post.  Really, what I'm currently thinking is, Why does Logos NEED this amount of control?

I love downloadable resources and all the good things the GOOD people at Logos provide for us.  I'm not complaining, I'm pondering.  If you look CLOSELY at my OP, ALL I was saying is the recent outage had me thinking about the subject.  I'm not even sure why people have to look closely at what I posted.  In the words of Roy Wally, You people went a LOT crazy over what I posted initially.  I'm not just talking about my use of the term A-HOLE to describe Giovanni's response to the OP.  Seriously, what was he thinking to react like that?  I'm not piling on concerning his character, I'm piling on concerning HIS over-the-top REACTION to a post that I didn't perceive as being negative towards ANYBODY.  I can see where I didn't flesh out some of my thoughts, but sheesh, why all the angst and rancor over my original comments?  I'm looking for specifics here.

I'm interested to see who will be OUTRAGED over THIS posting.  Does that make me a troll, or just someone with fairly intense curiosity?

Thanks for clarifying, I was also not trying to be critical of you, nor was I outraged, it just appeared you thought Logos had taken away from you what they had sold . I don't see it as an issue of control, but convenience. If I need a book, I don't have to wait for it to be shipped. Also by the same token I could have a fire and loose all of my paper books. So for physical books the sky could fall. Logos has promised if I purchase a book it will always be available to me on my desktop. If my computer goes out, I can redownload my books. The mobile access is an added benefit, one that was given after I have purchased the bulk of my library. So it's one I see as a gift, one I am thankful for. The cloud allows this, where the old cd/DVD disks (some of which I no longer have) do not.

I made the choice to go digital mostly in grad school, and with the gift of an iPad 1 to go totally about two years ago. So I guess it's a matter of over ten years I have never lost a book from Logos. I have had my hard copy books lost, stolen, even damaged. Glitches can occur with any software, but I don't see it as big an issue, as long as it gets fixed (which they are doing).  Logos has never removed the ability to redownload, they even provide updates to the books. But unlike a paper book, if a problem occurs, I can always get it back. Logos does control our licences, but that's always been the case, they've always had to activate the resources. 

I guess my point is the sky could fall, but knowing my digital books are also backed up in Logos cloud. I've lost some of my original CDs from Logos, but not my books. I have some hard copy books that got damaged, I have to repurchase them. That cannot happen to my Logos books. Also not only are books backed up at Logos, but they also are most likly backed up on servers and storage off site as well. So if "Act of God" occurred it would have to be at multiple locations for me to loose my books. I don't see this happening. 

Blessings,

Philana

Posts 10739
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 2:57 PM

Thank you, Philana, for the best post in this entire thread. Yes

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 3:21 PM

Jack Caviness:

Hear Yes Hear Yes

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 3:36 PM

Willard, do you happen to know how many people click on links provided by trolls?  Again, I'm curious.

Also, did you ever answer my question as to why a sockpuppet would EVER ask a question about hiding?

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 4:01 PM

Michael Anda:
Really, what I'm currently thinking is, Why does Logos NEED this amount of control?

Technically speaking.  I'm not suggesting Logos has CONTROL issues.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 8:06 PM

Michael Anda:

Jack Caviness:

Hear Yes Hear Yes

Yes

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
"If unable to access Logos servers, what can be used ?"

For Logos 4 on Mac and PC have option to launch application for offline use so can use my Logos library offline, which can be sync'd to Logos servers later.

For Logos and Vyrso apps on iOS, personally prefer to use iPad in airplane mode for stable access to Logos resources.  Thankful for free mobile app, which can be used to access 88.9 % of my Logos library; looking forward to more resources being available for mobile use plus app improvements.   After reading about app update in forum, can choose when to enable wifi connection, then update Logos and Vyrso apps.

Thankful and amazed by overall availability of Logos servers. Geeked

Thankful for many, many friendly forum discussions about using Logos Bible Software; I have learned a lot plus know I have a lot to learn.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 233
Michael Anda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 8:16 PM

Speaking of things, why is that 11.1% NOT available?  What makes a Logos mobile app different from, say, running Logos on a laptop?  Logos on a laptop is a mobile device, obviously.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 8:37 PM

Michael Anda:

Speaking of things, why is that 11.1% NOT available?  What makes a Logos mobile app different from, say, running Logos on a laptop?  Logos on a laptop is a mobile device, obviously.

The lack of some resources for mobile use is based on contractual wording with resource publisher.  Thankful Logos is negotiating with publishers to expand mobile resource access.  Initial Logos mobile app could not use NIV; Thankful for Logos follow-up negotiations so NIV is now available for use in Logos and Vyrso apps without Logos users needing to buy a NIV mobile resource license.  Suspect some publishers are restricted by contractual obligations with various authors that did not include mobile device access.

Am aware of one publisher that limits mobile device access since that publisher is creating their own mobile app with dreams of customers paying (again) for mobile access.  Logos has chosen not to sell resource licenses that are mobile only.  Thankful for Logos web site showing resource availability for each product.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 8:40 PM

Michael Anda:

I blame it on backward thinking publishers.  (?$$$?)

I have all my resources on a netbook and am considering a tablet over iPad. 

Page 4 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS