Request for Hebrew-English Dictionary

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 124
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 31 2012 10:40 AM

I'm not sure this is the correct place for this, and if it isn't then please feel free to move it...

I would like to request a Hebrew-English dictionary be added to the Logos library.

I understand that there are a few lexicons in the Logos library (which I have), but there are times when I would like to look up an English word and find out what the word is in Hebrew.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 10:52 AM

GeoPappas:
there are times when I would like to look up an English word and find out what the word is in Hebrew.

In other words you want the opposite of what you're asking for. Smile You're asking for Hebrew-English, but what you really want is English-Hebrew.

I suggest you start a new thread in the Suggestions forum, where your wish is considerably more likely to be seen by Logos.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 11:02 AM

Wonder about using Bible Word Study for English word to show Hebrew word(s) translation ?

For example, many Greek and Hebrew words have been translated as the English word Rejoice (then can click on ring segment to show verses):

Caveat: proper Names tend to have a one to one correspondence between languages while many words have different range of meaning and nuance.

For suggestions, can email product suggestions to Logos => http://www.logos.com/about/contact or post in Suggestions forum.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 11:25 AM

If you're not the patient type, not wanting to wait a few years, http://www.logos.com/product/1213/new-strongs-guide-to-bible-words does some of what you want.

It's arranged by the english words, but shows the variations of both greek and hebrew at the same time. I personally don't need the 'strongs' numbers ... shows the lemmas as well. It's also good in recognizing languages aren't a 1-to-1 arrangement (so several choices).

I like it when I want a quick 'choices' look up, especially when I'm in a 3rd language (this AM I was in syriac and wondered what the greek choices were for grave vs tomb).

Other choices can be searched in Logos.com 'Bible words' (instead of lexicons).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 11:27 AM

GeoPappas:

I'm not sure this is the correct place for this, and if it isn't then please feel free to move it...

I would like to request a Hebrew-English dictionary be added to the Logos library.

I understand that there are a few lexicons in the Logos library (which I have), but there are times when I would like to look up an English word and find out what the word is in Hebrew.

Easily done.  All you need to do is to open a basic search and select HALOT (or EBDB) and change the "all text" to "gloss" then enter the word you want the Hebrew for. 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3733
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 2:50 PM

The NASB Exhaustive Concordance of Greek & Hebrew does close to what you want, if all you want is quick lookup... I believe there's an inexpensive package that it's included in.

And it also shows you all the different words in Greek or Hebrew that have been translated the same (in NASB, anyway).

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 11654
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 1:34 AM

BillS:

The NASB Exhaustive Concordance of Greek & Hebrew does close to what you want, if all you want is quick lookup... I believe there's an inexpensive package that it's included in.

And it also shows you all the different words in Greek or Hebrew that have been translated the same (in NASB, anyway).

The package is here: http://www.logos.com/product/8734/nas-electronic-bible-library for $30 - it was especially worthwile in times when individual bibles were near $50 and for those without a base package. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS