Asking Credit Card Details for free download

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1
Sajjini Mathew | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 1 2012 9:04 PM

Dear Brothers/Sisters in Christ,

I tried downloading the J.C. Ryle free book. But its asking me for my credit card details in the 'BILLING' section even though the amount shows $0.

Could somebody please help me out?

Take care & God bless.

Thanks & Regards,

Sajjini Mathew

Posts 18763
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 9:23 PM

Dear Mathew,

Welcome to the Logos forums!

You are right, and that is the designed behavior of the software Logos uses to manage its e-store. Even though something costs only $0, you still need to enter your credit card details, since it goes through the same process that regular orders go through. Nothing will be charged to you, but they have no way of turning off that aspect of the software at the time being. They will look into it sometime in the future, as several people have complained about it.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:04 AM

Sajjini,

I did read of one individual who used their credit card's website to make a "temporary" card number which is used for online shopping only and then limited it to a $1 purchase (smallest available).  Using that number he orders the free books from Logos.  The card NEVER gets charged.

Rosie's spectacular 10,000th post is correct - It's just part of the software Logos uses on the website, nothing more.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 2
James Eliot Henderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 17 2014 9:31 PM

Thanks for that explanation, back February 2012 (!!!!!) but they have done nothing about it !

I only give out my credit card details when I have to, because a number of companies are being hacked nowadays and credit card details stolen.

I'm very disappointed in Logos. I'm a programmer, and I know how easy it would be to code

if total price is not zero

ask for credit card details

Shame, Logos -- I hope you read these posts.

Jim

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 17 2014 10:12 PM

James Eliot Henderson:
I'm a programmer, and I know how easy it would be to code

Jim,    Have you considered Logos might not have the legal right to change the coding of software they purchased?

I don't really know the reason but it could be something we don't know about.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 27034
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 17 2014 11:56 PM

James Eliot Henderson:
I'm a programmer, and I know how easy it would be to code

One reason for designing systems to require a card is to obtain a billing address. Copyright considerations often limit where a company can distribute a resource. Before throwing lines of -shame-code be sure you understand why systems are built requiring billing info.

And no, Jim, this is not directed towards you in particular - many people have posted the same consider on the forums and many more thought it. This answer is for all of you ... it's all about logic ...Geeked

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 22095
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 12:01 AM

James Eliot Henderson:
I'm very disappointed in Logos. I'm a programmer, and I know how easy it would be to code

Phil Gons - from Logos - provided some perspective on this a couple of weeks ago at http://community.logos.com/forums/p/30699/566159.aspx#566159

They hope to get rid of the requirement for credit cards for free resources but its not there yet.

Posts 6489
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 2:28 AM

One option is to provide the card, then delete it from the database after ordering.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 2:40 AM

Lynden Williams:

One option is to provide the card, then delete it from the database after ordering.

Better yet... Get a disposable card from Walmart. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6489
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 3:40 AM

alabama24:

Plane tickets are too expensive for me. Stick out tongue

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 27810
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 5:01 AM

Just imagine all the points you'll earn though. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 10599
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 4:57 PM

Lynden Williams:

alabama24:

Plane tickets are too expensive for me. Stick out tongue

How about a quick swim? Cool

Posts 6489
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 18 2014 5:01 PM

Jack Caviness:
How about a quick swim?

Don't have swim gear. Don't you know Florida had 28 Shark attacks last year. Not that they would be interested in me. Not enough fat. But they may take a nip to see if the flavour is right. Confused

Posts 2374
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 20 2014 2:37 AM

Most fatal accidents actually happen at home.

If you want to live: Go out to the beach, to the park, to the shopping mall etc. Smile

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS