Color of L4 on desktop

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 3 2012 11:28 AM

This is how L4 looks on my new desktop using Windows 7 and IE 9; the color looks brownish below the blue bar and before you look below to the white background.  On my laptop which runs XPSP3 and IE 8, the color is silver below the blue.  I have changed themes and tried to change the color but to no avail.  When I google the issue, I tend to get the idea that the problem is with IE 9.   I don't know if I am being too particular and just need to learn to live with it.  But I really, really prefer the silver color. I know the problem is with my system.   Any ideas?

Posts 27561
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 11:31 AM

Joan Korte:
 Any ideas?

Change your laptop to XPSP3 and IE 8? It has been over 8 years since I used a PC, but this sounds like system settings that come with the OS.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 11:48 AM

alabama24:
Change your laptop to XPSP3 and IE 8?

I am not sure what you mean.  My laptop came with XP and it is running IE8.   The color is silver in L4 which is what I want.

\

alabama24:
but this sounds like system settings that come with the OS.

Yes, it could be something to do with Windows 7.  That is why I am asking for help to see if any experienced users have a clue what I might do.  I am new to Windows 7 and new to IE9.  The problem is on my new desktop when I compare the colors of L4 on my laptop.

Posts 27561
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 11:54 AM

Joan - What I meant to say (and was confused by which computer is running which OS), is that the look & feel is probably determined by the OS. If it is really a big issue to you, then you should install the OS that you like onto the other computer (whichever that one is).

I am not really recommending this... but my guess is that it is your only option.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 12:05 PM

alabama24:

Joan - What I meant to say (and was confused by which computer is running which OS), is that the look & feel is probably determined by the OS. If it is really a big issue to you, then you should install the OS that you like onto the other computer (whichever that one is).

I am not really recommending this... but my guess is that it is your only option.

Before I settle for the brownish look (which is on my new desktop with Windows 7 and IE9 on it), I was hoping to hear from someone who is using Windows 7 and IE9 running L4 on it to see if their color looks brownish rather than silver. 

I appreciate your attempts to help me Alabama24 but reverting back to XP on a new computer running Windows 7 is unthinkable.

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 12:05 PM

Joan, this should help you "synchronize" the look and feel between your two computers:

1.  On the XP computer (the one with the colors you like): Right click on the background (any blank spot on the screen, open Display, click Appearance and Themes, and take note of the Theme... if its a custom theme, then take note of the colors chosen for windows, background, etc.

2.  On the new computer (the one with the unsatisfactory color scheme):  Right click on the background, click Personalize, now you can select any of the available themes (if one matches the colors of your XP theme, or scroll down and adjust Desktop Background/Window Color, etc.

Hope that's helpful.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 885
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 12:09 PM

Joan,

Here's a screen capture of L4 on Win7 Home Premium, per your request.  Mine, of course, is customized to my tastes for color, etc.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 12:23 PM

Thanks,Brother Mark, for the idea and providing a look at your system.  Yours looks a lot like mine other than the black borders.  I will try to tweak it. 

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 12:28 PM

Joan Korte:
This is how L4 looks on my new desktop using Windows 7 and IE 9; the color looks brownish below the blue bar and before you look below to the white background.

The screen shot I see does look silver (not brown) below the blue bar. Have you looked at this post with your laptop?

I wonder if a color setting on your Win7 desktop needs tweaking.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 12:37 PM

Richard DeRuiter:

Joan Korte:
This is how L4 looks on my new desktop using Windows 7 and IE 9; the color looks brownish below the blue bar and before you look below to the white background.

The screen shot I see does look silver (not brown) below the blue bar. Have you looked at this post with your laptop?

I wonder if a color setting on your Win7 desktop needs tweaking.

Rich, I am on my laptop now and my screen shot looks silver now, not brown as it does on my desktop.  I have tried to tweak colors, in fact, I Dell tech support tried to help me and could see there was a problem.  Their solution was to send me a new monitor which didn't fix it so I know it is a setting, I just don't know how to do it.

EDIT:  the color on either side of this particular web page is a pale blue on my laptop and it is a pale brown on my desktop.

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 12:48 PM

Joan,

In Windows 7 click START  → and type in the following:

Calibrate display color  This should bring you to a dialog that will walk you through exactly that.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 127
Darren Paul Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 12:53 PM

It sounds like you need to modify the color settings on your monitor. The light tan color is the actual color of the app, and windows has no control over this, but you are obviously welcome to adjust your monitor however you wish. I would start with a google search for "adjusting color settings monitor" or something similar.

User Interface Designer - Logos Bible Software

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 1:33 PM

TCBlack:

Joan,

In Windows 7 click START  → and type in the following:

Calibrate display color  This should bring you to a dialog that will walk you through exactly that.  

Dell support and I did this and it didn't change the tan to gray.  I just tried all the various settings again while running L4 in the background and nothing changes the brown to gray.  Thanks, Thomas

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 1:38 PM

Darren Paul Wright:

It sounds like you need to modify the color settings on your monitor. The light tan color is the actual color of the app, and windows has no control over this, but you are obviously welcome to adjust your monitor however you wish. I would start with a google search for "adjusting color settings monitor" or something similar.

Darren,

AFAIK, I cannot adjust the color through the monitor to change the tan to gray as it is in Windows XP.  I tried every adjustment in the calibration mode.  And I googled which only led to using your monitor's calibration mode.  Thank you for your help.

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 2:03 PM

Joan Korte:
AFAIK, I cannot adjust the color through the monitor to change the tan to gray as it is in Windows XP.  I tried every adjustment in the calibration mode.  And I googled which only led to using your monitor's calibration mode.  Thank you for your help.

Did you try adjusting the color through the video card software? If it's a Dell Desktop you probably have either an AMD or an nVidia card. Both come with an interface to adjust the colors (should be in your system tray (though you might have to click the up arrow to see it).

If you can't get the grey to be truly grey, even with the video card adjustments, the problem may be with the video card itself, or possibly a cable.  Both would be very rare problems. (Since you traded out monitors already, we can rule out monitors as an issue.)

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 4:14 PM

Wonder if command: Set Custom Chrome to No causes any appearance change ? (default for Custom Chrome is Yes)

Personally prefer my Windows 7 taskbar to be hidden on the left side so I'm using a Windows classic personalization scheme for color that keeps my preferred taskbar width because aero themes automatically adjust taskbar width or height to match Windows start logo size.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 3:14 AM

Richard DeRuiter:

Joan Korte:

Did you try adjusting the color through the video card software? If it's a Dell Desktop you probably have either an AMD or an nVidia card. Both come with an interface to adjust the colors (should be in your system tray (though you might have to click the up arrow to see it).

If you can't get the grey to be truly grey, even with the video card adjustments, the problem may be with the video card itself, or possibly a cable.  Both would be very rare problems. (Since you traded out monitors already, we can rule out monitors as an issue.)

What I think now after seeing the screen of Brother Mark and comments from Darren, the color should be tan.  When I go elsewhere on the internet, gray is gray.  I guess I think I should let tan be tan if that is the designated color and if I were to make tan gray, then it might throw off other displays..  It is only when I compare it with my laptop that I began to wonder if there was a problem.  Thanks, Rich.

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 7:17 AM

I believe the correct color of the Logos desktop should be the tan-ish color. I, too, have a laptop and this color phenomenon for me is caused by my color space on my video card. In graphic design terms, the look where Logos has a silver look is in the cool range- that is, it has too much blue. I do not believe it has anything to do with IE9.

My laptop is an HP dv7 with a dedicated ATI graphic card (mobile i5 processor, so has built in graphics chip). If you have an integrated card only, you may have difficulty setting the appearance. The built in Windows 7 appearance settings really did not work for me.

My son is a graphic designer and calibrated my display with his calibration equipment. It attaches to the monitor and goes through a configuration sequence where it gauges how colors should look. My display was too cool - too much blue. After the calibration, when windows loads it loads a new ICC profile to correct the color space.

Perhaps something similar might work for you,

Posts 5564
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 7:35 AM

Joan Korte:
What I think now after seeing the screen of Brother Mark and comments from Darren, the color should be tan.  When I go elsewhere on the internet, gray is gray.  I guess I think I should let tan be tan if that is the designated color and if I were to make tan gray, then it might throw off other displays..  It is only when I compare it with my laptop that I began to wonder if there was a problem.  Thanks, Rich.

There is a slight, hint of brown in the grey on mine, but not so much that I would call it taupe.

Did you look at this thread from your laptop? Asking because I don't see 'brown' (or taupe) in the screen shots. They look silver grey to me.

That's what made me suggest the video card color adjustment idea. Have you poked around in that utility program at all? I'd guess that the problem is that blue needs a boost or red & green need to be reduced (either issue would yield a brown tinge where it's not wanted.). I always look for and run this utility when I set up a new computer, since video card rendering and monitors are all a bit different. It's particularly critical for photo editing, or anything where fine shades of color difference are important. Given your obvious sensitivity to color, you might find the final results pleasing.

(Windows7 also has a "Display Color Calibration" in "Control Panel" under "Display" (at least on my system). I prefer the video card interface as it gives me more control, but you might like this better. Either will get you where you want to go.)

Of course, it's also possible that the color scheme on your laptop put too much blue in the mix so that your color there is really a bit bluer than it should be (that would show up by looking at this thread on your laptop too).

Posts 1134
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 7:41 AM

Thanks, Bill.  I played around with the NVIDIA display panel and the best color scheme overall is the default setting.  My eyes will adjust to tan.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS