Automatic Biblical People/Places tagging in PBs

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 13374
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 3 2012 4:18 PM | Locked

I just recompiled a bunch of PB Bibles in 4.5a and noticed that Biblical Places/People are being automatically found and tagged. That's terrific! Is that a new feature, or have I not been paying attention? It even tags 'Galile' (note the spelling) in my Tyndale Bible (though it understandably misses Ierusalem and Iordan).

Posts 61
David Sawyer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 5:20 PM | Locked

Nice

Posts 8089
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 5:28 PM | Locked

I assume you're referring to Biblical People and Places appearing on the context menu? If so, that's a feature of the context menu (in all Bibles), and not part of PBB. It uses a heuristic based matching the word you clicked on to known spellings of names of people mentioned in the current verse to determine what to display. (Though sometimes this heuristic is wrong: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/27677.aspx.)

Posts 13374
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 4:13 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

I assume you're referring to Biblical People and Places appearing on the context menu? If so, that's a feature of the context menu (in all Bibles), and not part of PBB. It uses a heuristic based matching the word you clicked on to known spellings of names of people mentioned in the current verse to determine what to display. (Though sometimes this heuristic is wrong: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/27677.aspx.)

I hadn't realised that's how the Biblical People and Places links were done. It avoids tagging multiple Bibles, and now has this nice bonus of working for PBs too — a really elegant solution!

Posts 2737
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 4:18 AM | Locked

Bradley Grainger:

...and now we need to teach Logos heuristic based matching of the words to speak Czech ...and Polish ...and you know... Stick out tongue

Bohuslav

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 6:23 AM | Locked

This function only works if you have every verse tagged with Bible milestones.  I have a Bible where I omitted verse markers and only used chapter markers.  So it is in paragraph form without any clutter.  Only the chapters were given Bible milestones.  Biblical people, places and things are not picked up in this Bible.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 13374
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 6:46 AM | Locked

Jerry M:

This function only works if you have every verse tagged with Bible milestones.  I have a Bible where I omitted verse markers and only used chapter markers.  So it is in paragraph form without any clutter.  Only the chapters were given Bible milestones.  Biblical people, places and things are not picked up in this Bible.

That would make sense. Because the same word could be used in different contexts, the 'tagging' relies on knowing exactly what verse the word occurs in. (Incidentally, as milestones are invisible, there's no reason why they couldn't be used even if the verse numbers aren't shown in the text.)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS