Stop Logos from re-inserting itself in the Start menu every time it updates

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1984
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 9 2012 10:22 AM

Rosie Perera:
Seems to be the Taskbar icons you are talking about.

Correct - sorry for the imprecision. Apps pinned to the taskbar.

Donnie

Posts 106
Bruce Fraser | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2012 11:36 AM

I think my original question has been answered by Bradley. But out of courtesy to Rosie, I'll answer her questions.

Rosie Perera:
I have never removed the Logos icon from my Start menu, so I can't really say "I've never experienced this" as I said before. However I am not sure why you need to keep removing it. What is wrong with leaving it there?

Clutter. I like to keep things lean and simple.

Rosie Perera:
Where do you have it if not in either of the two places I described?

The Start menu for Logos is: Start - Applications - Bible - Logos. So it takes three keypresses, instead of your two "lo". But this way, I will never inadvertently run another program which also begins with "lo." I have about 160 programs on this computer (I do a lot of testing different softwares), so the chances of that happening are not as inconceivable as you might think. Back to "clutter" above: you can image what would happen to the main level of the Start menu if I let every program write it's own shortcuts willy nilly wherever it pleases.

Rosie Perera:
This is the part of your post that really confused me the most. I'm genuinely curious: Could you explain to me how Logos installing an icon on your start menu implies expecting people to manually navigate to the Logos folder in Explorer and run the program from there? The whole point of an icon on the start menu is it's a shortcut so you don't have to manually navigate to the Logos folder to start the program. I must be missing something in your critique.

Logos updates only when the program has been used. Logos will never update if you never use it. Therefore, when it updates, it "knows" that the user ran the program. There are two main ways of doing that: shortcut, or manually. If the user already has a shortcut, then there is no need to add another one. Therefore, Logos is either acting redundantly, or it is thinking that I started the program manually.

Off topic: Rose, I am in awe of your presence on the Forum. The thoroughness with which you commented, not just here, but in thousands of other places, demonstrates your commitment to help others. I applaud you.

Posts 29036
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2012 11:41 AM

Bruce Fraser:
Off topic: Rose, I am in awe of your presence on the Forum. The thoroughness with which you commented, not just here, but in thousands of other places, demonstrates your commitment to help others. I applaud you.

Yes

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2012 11:48 AM

Bruce Fraser:
Off topic: RosIdeae, I am in awe of your presence on the Forum. The thoroughness with which you commented, not just here, but in thousands of other places, demonstrates your commitment to help others. I applaud you

Thanks, Bruce, for your answers and this nice comment.

EDIT: Ha ha! I added [ i ] (without the spaces) into my name because you'd misspelled it, and the forum software turned it into a lightbulb. I like that. Smile Might take to spelling my name that way.

Posts 3731
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2012 11:53 AM

Bruce Fraser:

Off topic: Rosie, I am in awe of your presence on the Forum. The thoroughness with which you commented, not just here, but in thousands of other places, demonstrates your commitment to help others. I applaud you.

Yes

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 10 2012 12:35 PM

Rosie Perera:

Bruce Fraser:
Off topic: RosIdeae, I am in awe of your presence on the Forum. The thoroughness with which you commented, not just here, but in thousands of other places, demonstrates your commitment to help others. I applaud you

Thanks, Bruce, for your answers and this nice comment.

EDIT: Ha ha! I added [ i ] (without the spaces) into my name because you'd misspelled it, and the forum software turned it into a lightbulb. I like that. Smile Might take to spelling my name that way.

Nice for you RosIdeae! Yes

Bohuslav

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS